mtbr member

Weight: Rockhopper Pro vs Stumpjumper Comp

I've a hankering to buy a new hardtail this season. I've been thinking about a 2007 Rockhopper Pro, which is the only 'Hopper this year to be made with an M4 frame. On Friday, I was able to see a Stumpjumper HT Comp in person. I was astounded at how light that Stumpjumper was. (I have yet to see a Rockhopper Pro in person, btw). Now I'm curious as to the weights of the two bikes I'm considering. Does anyone know what the Rockhopper Pro weighs in its stock configuration? What about the Stumpjumper Comp hardtail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I did have the same choices as you did, finally picked the more agressive SJ comp which has a better front suspension, and other components, plus better looking and handling too. My guess both weigh about the same, i.e. maybe around 27 lbs..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My 2007 Rockhopper Pro weighs 27 lbs. It has been upgraded significantly with higher dollar components. I'm not a weight weenie though so I didn't always use the lightest available parts. I would think a stock probably weighs closer to 29 lbs. As far as looks and handling go cayotehill's SJ Comp can't touch mine. If his is new it's either the same old boring blue, black or silver. The Mango orange blows those three colors away. It looks much better in person though. And handling... it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Racing? Then yeah you just might want the SJ Comp. Just plain old rugged trail riding and XC? I believe the Hopper is a more comfortable ride. Honestly they are both good bikes and you really can't go wrong with either of them. If you never plan on upgrading then the SJ Comp might be a better choice for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by engineere; 04-30-2007 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have had both the Rockhopper Pro and Stumpjumper. Hands down the Stumpjumper is a better bike. Components are much better, bike is a heck of a lot faster, frame is more durable (I weigh 235 lbs) and lighter, black is stealthy and classic, the orange will lose it's appeal after one season (its a fad / trendy) and therefore if you ever wanted to sell it who would want an orange bike??? Kinda like a baby blue bike, who wants one that's used? Personally I am a Specialized fan but you also might want to check out a Felt hardtail. Great bike just like the Stumpjumper

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    No offense to either camp. You can't go wrong with black. In defense of orange/mango- it is refreshing to see different ends of the spectrum with regard to bike color. I may just wait for the Epic Expert tester (demo- orange) to go on sale after the 2008s come in, because it is a rare color.

Since RH and stumpy are both M4 bikes, it will depend upon componentry for weight. The LBS who weighed the RH Pro disc in front of me was 26.5 #. Can you believe no one stocks Stumpy HT around here (columbia SC)???

Lastly, test ride them both one after another. The 70 deg head angle makes a big difference compared to the 71 deg. Can't decide which I like better yet (in case anyone cared)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec.Black
    frame is more durable (I weigh 235 lbs) and lighter, black is stealthy and classic, the orange will lose it's appeal after one season (its a fad / trendy) and therefore if you ever wanted to sell it who would want an orange bike???
    I think we both know that your durable statement is just not true Spec. I know you like starting flame wars with some here, but come on man at least be honest with the guy. It's his hard earned money, don't mislead him. There is almost no strength difference in these two frames, and definitely not $600 worth. Email Specialized yourself and see what they tell you. It's mostly just a difference in frame geometry and better components on the SJ Comp. And the mango color has been around forever. It's not a fad, it's just a simple opinion whether you like it or not. Cannondale, Santa Cruz etc. use it as well. I get compliments on it all the time from people that know nothing about bikes. I'm sure there are some who don't like it as well. Doesn't matter, it's my bike not theirs. And this new bike will be Jonathans. Jonathan remember this is just a forum on the internet, so don't let it make up your mind. Test ride them both and decide what you're willing to sink into upgrades, and if you even really need any upgrades. It will make your decision much easier. Both bikes are just fine stock, I just enjoy the thrill of it all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike
    Since RH and stumpy are both M4 bikes, it will depend upon componentry for weight. The LBS who weighed the RH Pro disc in front of me was 26.5 #. Can you believe no one stocks Stumpy HT around here (columbia SC)???
    mountain, cool to see someone else here from Columbia. I also live there. There are a few places that will order SJ hardtails for you around here. My brother bought one from Bike To Nature that they had in stock. That is also where my RH Pro came from. And a big AMEN to your post.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    First off when have I started "flame wars?" Secondly, I never flamed you on this thread. Its simply my opinion just like yours about the orange color and the Rockhopper Pro. He wanted imput so I gave him mine just like everyone else. I had a Rockhopper and a Stumpy and the Rockhopper just didn't stack up in my opinion. If I can find pics I will post the pics of the hair-line crack that my Rockhopper had; hence my opinion that the Stumpy is more durable....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec.Black
    If I can find pics I will post the pics of the hair-line crack that my Rockhopper had; hence my opinion that the Stumpy is more durable....
    O.k., but that really won't prove anything. We've seen cracked frames of all different varieties here before. I guess if my brothers (or anyone elses) Stumpjumper frame cracks tomorrow then my Hopper frame is more durable? Peace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by engineere
    The Mango orange blows those three colors away. It looks much better in person though. And handling... it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Racing? Then yeah you just might want the SJ Comp. Just plain old rugged trail riding and XC? I believe the Hopper is a more comfortable ride.
    I don't race. I'm more the type to just go off riding randomly by myself, or with a few friends. I have a Rockhopper now (2005 model), and I'm happy w/it. But I have some money to spend on bikes this year, and that new Mango color looks awesome, at least on the web -- I've not seen it in the flesh yet. Disk brakes would be nice too. I don't have those on my current bike. So I'm tempted.

However, my LBS got a couple 18-inch Stumpjumper Comp hardtails in last week, and I am amazed at how light they are compared to the Rockhopper I'm currently riding. The weight difference is quite noticeable. I'm aware though, that the Stumpjumpers are more race oriented, and I don't race. I'm also not sure I want to spend the extra $800 or so that it would take to get a Stumpjumper (I don't want the rim brake version, so it would have to be at least the Comp).

The Stumpjumper comes in 17 and 18 inch frame sizes. My LBS only has the 18 inch in stock though, which is a bit annoying. I ride a 17 inch Rockhopper, and am leery about buying an 18 inch Stumpjumper without first testing the 17 inch model. And I'm leery too about ordering the 17 inch Stumpjumper blind. It's frustrating, but for all the bikes they have on the floor, my LBS rarely has a good range of sizes in any one, given model.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do yet, but at least I'm having fun looking. Friday I blew off work early to go make pilgrimage to the bike shops in the nearest big city to where I live. It was a great day to be outside test-riding bikes. The thing is, I went in to town thinking I knew what I was going to do only to come away having discovered at least three new options that I have to consider and think through. The Gary Fisher Hi Fi, for example, is also an impressively lightweight bike.

As I think about it, the only reason I would pony up for a Stumpjumper hardtail would be the weight. Even though I don't race, I would at least consider paying for lighter weight, and that's the reason for my question way back at the beginning of this thread.

BTW engineere, your 'Hopper Pro looks really nice in that photo you posted.

mtbr member
    My 2007 Rockhopper Pro weighs 27 lbs. It has been upgraded significantly with higher dollar components.
    I'm curious to know, what upgrades did you make, and why?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    I'm curious to know, what upgrades did you make, and why?
    I've upgraded almost everything. It didn't really need it, but I just wanted to make it more personalized, hence the red skewers, seat clamp, tire caps, headset etc. Also the weight difference will not be as drastic between the Rockhopper Pro and SJ Comp as it is between your Rockhopper and The SJ Comp by the way, as they both come with M4 frames. Your Rockhopper has the heavier A1 frame. I'm sure for $600 more though the SJ Comp will be a pound or two lighter due to having some better components. Like I said earlier either one will do you good. Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok. Just got mine today after a week of waiting ... Here's mine... who saz blue is boring ?? anyway, I like both bikes, the reason I picked SJ so I wont need to upgrade .., Mango is cool too Party on...

[IMG]F:\DCIM\100KM033\PICT0714[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    here's the picture again:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayotehill
    Ok. Just got mine today after a week of waiting ... Here's mine... who saz blue is boring ??
    I never said it :-). I've seen that blue color scheme in person, and it's very nice. I've had a blue bike for two years now though, so I'd like to go for a not-blue color this time around, just to change things up a bit. I believe there's a black model as well. I'm pretty sure my LBS told me that they had one black one in stock.

I wish it wasn't such a pita for me to get to the bike shop. I want to try a longer ride on a Stumpjumper before I decide for sure on what to do. One thing my LBS is good about is letting me take longish rides around town. A few more rides might help me make up my mind.

mtbr member
    I've upgraded almost everything. It didn't really need it, but I just wanted to make it more personalized, hence the red skewers, seat clamp, tire caps, headset etc.
    Cool! I didn't even notice the red until I took a closer look. Looks good though. Where did you manage to find all the matching red parts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cayotehill
    here's the picture again:
    That's nice. If I would've went with the SJ Comp I definitely would've gotten it in blue. Most pictures I've seen the blue looked darker then in your pic though. Is it really that light of blue or is that just the way it appears in your pic?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Jonathan,
    You've got a good LBS dealer there that lets you test ride before buy, use it wisely. Once you bought one, that's it. Think of what you gonna do with the bike eventually...

Engineere,
    I thought the blue would be darker too. But the picture pretty much says it all, brighter than I expected. However, I love this bike, it gives me going all day :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shut up and ride