Get busy!!

Weight Reductions (Rookie Weight Weenie) LOL!

I have the 07 RockHopper Pro and just popped a Fox F series fork on. I notice a serious weight reduction in the front of the bike. Now I want to even this out but I'm not totally sure what the major heavies in the back are. I know the cranks and rear components can be changed but to what? What is going to give me the same wow factor (weight wise) for the rear of my ride that the fork did for the front?

Are carbon seat posts and handlebars good weight reducers or do the alum parts come in pretty close?

Thanks guys.
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset

for three!
    Mar 2008
    Well i'd say the biggest change would be wheels (though the weight distribution would still be uneven). I guess you could get a new rear wheel only, but i'd advise against that. Other than that i'd say get a new cassette, you would lose almost a half a pound switching to an xtr. Sure you could get a carbon seatpost, but that wouldn't be felt nearly as much as a cassette. (but on the seatpost side, a thomson masterpiece, it isn't carbon, but very light and built like a tank) And carbon handlebars would be a good deal lighter, but then again that's at the front of the bike and opposite of what you're looking for.

Get busy!!
    Thanks Karl. I was thinking about the cassette. If I lost 1/2lb back end I would be loving it. Time to search the internets.

mtbr member

Get an Xt

Get an xt cassette only 20 grams heavier and they both wear out at the same pace (xt is cheaper too).

mtbr member
    Saw your pix of the Hopper and it looks hot with the white! I think to drastically reduce the weight would really cost too much, so I would recommend that you concentrate on things that would give the best effect AND you can take with you on your next bike/upgrade.

Wheels, cassette and pedals, all rotational weight, do these first. Most other things, like bar, seatpost, saddle, grips, etc. will lighten the bike a little but you'll spend so much money and time that it'll be as if you are getting a whole new bike. Then you might have had a Stumpy HT to begin! Cranks would be a great addition too but that's another $200 or so for an XT. Trying to keep your costs down...although your wheels (and fork) would be the most expensive. Good luck!

Graphic Designer
    I have an 07, the back feels decently light, but the fork (RockShox Recon) feels like it weighs a ton...if I switched forks, I feel l like it would be more even.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Changing your wheelset to a lighter stiffer wheelset will make the most difference. While you are at it change your cassette also, but go with an XT. Skip the XTR however, for the cost of it and the weight savings it isn't worth it. Another cheap way to save weight is to change your tubes to ultra light tubes, they won't make that much difference in overall weight, but the rotational mass that you will save makes them a huge winner. As far as the seat, seatpost, bar and stem, I would skip these at this time, they aren't the lightest, but they aren't that bad.

Get busy!!
    I see a bunch of wheel sets by Mavic. I'm guessing that they are the brand to go with? I will be doing an XT cassette fo sho.

for three!
    Mar 2008
    Yeah i'd probably go with shimano or mavic for a new set of wheels, they both make quality stuff. (though i just bought a new spinergy set, got a great price)
    Last edited by karlmalone1; 08-06-2008 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Others have said it already but just to say it again, wheelset. You will feel the biggest, most significant difference when you get a solid, lightweight wheelset on there. I saw you dropped a lot on the fork so if you've got more where that came from you can get a really nice wheelst built up just to your likings.

I'd say that'd be #1 on your list, depending on how much you've got to spend. Good luck mate.

mtbr member
    It would help a bunch if you posted the build spec. Building a custom wheelset is often a better way to go than buying a mavic or shimano set that has proprietary parts. Then again we are talking about a spesh anyways... What tires do you have on right now? If you ride mainly xc/singletrack you can get away with a little less tread and a lot of weight savings (up to a pound or so). Tire options include Racing Ralphs, Kenda Karma, Stans Crow, TT Larsen and others. Do a search or go over to the Weight weenies forum.