mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Weight difference between S-works and standard 120 FSR frame?

Anyone know the frame weight difference between the S-works FSR 120 (M5 aluminum) and the standard M4 version? I saw a 2006 at a shop (M5 FSR 120) and it was about 24lbs without pedals. I was wondering how much of that was frame and how much was parts. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    Anyone know the frame weight difference between the S-works FSR 120 (M5 aluminum) and the standard M4 version? I saw a 2006 at a shop (M5 FSR 120) and it was about 24lbs without pedals. I was wondering how much of that was frame and how much was parts. Thanks!
    Dont quote me on this but i belive it to be 150grames not much for the bucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    There should not be a huge difference in weight between the frames (remember diminishing returns, when you get to the high end every gram costs $$$$) Also call me skeptical, but 24lbs is really (really) light for a bike with those parts. (I would have guessed a pound or so heavier) How did you get that weight figure?
    (keep in mind most shop scales are the "not legal for trade" variety (normally can't be calibrated) which are commonly off by as much as 10% (that would be 2 1/2 lbs in this case))

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Only the downtube is M5 on the S-Works. It is anodized instead of painted, which I have heard saves about 1/4 pound. I think that is where most of the weight savings comes from.

I don't think the S-Works is worth the extra money either. You can get the anodized finish on the 120 Pro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    There should not be a huge difference in weight between the frames (remember diminishing returns, when you get to the high end every gram costs $$$$) Also call me skeptical, but 24lbs is really (really) light for a bike with those parts. (I would have guessed a pound or so heavier) How did you get that weight figure?
    (keep in mind most shop scales are the "not legal for trade" variety (normally can't be calibrated) which are commonly off by as much as 10% (that would be 2 1/2 lbs in this case))
    My S-workd stumpy 05 wieghs 27lb but i havent got the lightest finishing kit as i like a little strenght in my wheels and fat tires.lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    2006 might have more M5 then just the downtube...think i remember reading this somewhere. I know the new Epic rear ends are M5 too so it makes sense the Stumpy rears would be too

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    2006 might have more M5 then just the downtube...think i remember reading this somewhere. I know the new Epic rear ends are M5 too so it makes sense the Stumpy rears would be too
    I'm going off of information on the Specialized website. They mention the M5 rear triangle for the Epic S-Works, but not on the Stumpy.

It does seem kind of odd to only make one tube out of M5....I wonder what the point is, other than just a way to try to justify the higher price tag. The frame is otherwise identical to the FSR Pro 120.

Sooo for the extra $1700 over the cost of a 120 Pro, you get:

An M5 downtube instead of M4
    carbon handlebars (probably a bit lighter)
    Thomson stem, (probably no lighter)
    XTR crankset, brake calipers, cassette in place of XT (cassette and crankset ~75 grams lighter, not sure about the calipers)
    XTR chain in place of SRAM 971
    Mavic Crossmax wheels in place of Mavic 717's w/Stout & DT hubs
    NO pedals, in place of Shimano 520's

If the crossmax wheels are that much better, maybe this would be worth it to someone with plenty of cash. Doesn't seem like it to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    by the way according to weightweenies.starbike.com the difference in frame weight from a 2005 S-Works stumpjumper 120 to a 2004 Sumpjumper 100 is ~100g

(I know not a completely fair comparison but its what they have listed.)

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    I'm going off of information on the Specialized website. They mention the M5 rear triangle for the Epic S-Works, but not on the Stumpy.

It does seem kind of odd to only make one tube out of M5....I wonder what the point is, other than just a way to try to justify the higher price tag. The frame is otherwise identical to the FSR Pro 120.

Sooo for the extra $1700 over the cost of a 120 Pro, you get:

An M5 downtube instead of M4
    carbon handlebars (probably a bit lighter)
    Thomson stem, (probably no lighter)
    XTR crankset, brake calipers, cassette in place of XT (cassette and crankset ~75 grams lighter, not sure about the calipers)
    XTR chain in place of SRAM 971
    Mavic Crossmax wheels in place of Mavic 717's w/Stout & DT hubs
    NO pedals, in place of Shimano 520's

If the crossmax wheels are that much better, maybe this would be worth it to someone with plenty of cash. Doesn't seem like it to me.
    I think the aluminum S-Works is just overpriced for what you get. (More like ripoff) I think the S-Works 06 carbon is a whole different animal, however, I can't justify the 7K price tag, ultra ripoff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

a friend....

who works at a spesh dealer told me the reason only downtubes are M5 on the stumpys is to do with the limitation on welding M5 tubing as its thinner (or something like that) than M4. as such the top and seat tubes (which have the kind of monocoque thing going on if i remember right) have to be made from M4 (but since epics are all normal tubing they can be made entirely from M5). as for the rear triange stuff who knows, maybe they're just being stingy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, I agree with whippet.

I don't quite know how an S-works would weigh 24 lbs. I have a large 120 Pro with SRAM X.0 triggers/rear and XT rest, Thomsonpost, Easton stem and carbon bars, 717 rims with DT 240s hubs (lighter than crossmax), Spec Rival saddle, and time ATAC composite pedals, and it weighs in at 27.5 lbs. I don't really have anything else to upgrade - XTR in place of XT would be about 230 grams lighter (1/2 lb) and I don't know where the weight is. The M5 downtube is not 3lbs lighter!
    Last edited by J Specialized P; 10-27-2005 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I wish I had seen it on the scale, but that S-works 120 was pretty light! Keep in mind that is without pedals. Plus, it may have had some super-light race tire that nobody would actually use in the real world. I am pretty sure my new 120 FSR is under 27, but I don't see it getting down to 24lbs anytime soon. I will weigh it and post specs when I finish the build (still waiting on Thomson Post and Kenda BG UST tires). The weight savings that I can figure over my bike are cassette (XTR over XT, 50g), wheels/Tires (Non-UST, 150g?), brakes (XTR over Marta, 30g for set), shifter pods (X0 over XT, 35g for set). Other than that 275g, I don't see much fat to cut!

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Rental manager at my shop has the '05 Stumpy S-Works that was under 25.5 with 520 pedals. I think thats respectable for a 5(ish)" travel bike with disc brakes and a Talas.
    Kind of funny to think back to when I was shoting for 25 pounds on the HT with Vs.
    As for the S-Works build Full XTR$1800, XMax SL disc$800, Talas$750, Stm/HB/SP/saddle/pedals/ties$500= $3850 for build, $1150 for the frame. Seems fair by 2006 standards. It is a very racer like kit, and if your not into Shimano I could see how it would lose its value. That being said X.0 costs $500 for shifter and one derialleur
    Keeping in mind I work at a shop and could never afford that stuff otherwise. I've been recommending Marathon/Pro level to my friends(my personal preference as well).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Stumpy Pro has X.0 and brain shock for what... around 3000? Whats the actual retail price? That seems like a much better deal than the S-Works