mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Washing your stumpy

Been riding hardtails for years before switching to my current ride, SJ Pro 07. Rides like a dream, I must say. But when it comes to cleaning up, it's like a whole new ball game compared to hardtails. The bearings, rear shock, the brain............arrgh!

Would love to hear from you on how you guys go abt washing your stumpys and what to look out for..........

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not a lot of difference to be honest.

I wash mine with good ol' fairy liquid (washing up liquid) with warm water and just a sponge. You may want to cover your disk rotors to prevent them squeaking after wash.

When hosing the bike, try and aviod areas that operate with bearings. Nothing new to you I guess.

mtbr member
    Exactly what was said. When you get back on the bike listen for creaking when pedaling from side to side and such. Dirt may have gotten in and you need to clean it before damage is done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    Exactly what was said. When you get back on the bike listen for creaking when pedaling from side to side and such. Dirt may have gotten in and you need to clean it before damage is done.
    Thanks guys! If dirt / mud do get into the linkages / seals, do we need to unloosen it to get a thorough clean up? Am sounding kinda stupid but can DIY or need to bring back to LBS to do so?

mtbr member
    wouldn't worry about it unless you hear creaking when riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by junkybum
    Thanks guys! If dirt / mud do get into the linkages / seals, do we need to unloosen it to get a thorough clean up? Am sounding kinda stupid but can DIY or need to bring back to LBS to do so?
    I use PJ1's super cleaner aerosol (high-powered spray that dries within seconds) which instantly removes all dirt and grime from the pivots and areas that are inaccessible.

Giving your bike a bit of love will prolong the life of all bearings, which does nobody any harm. Those who don't give a toss, will have to prematurely replace them.

mtbr member
    I have tons of creaks on my 03 EPIC. Is it becuase I washed it. Do I need to go and buy a bearing set or can I just regrease everything?

mtbr member
    I would take the linkage apart and inspect the bearings to see if they are "crunchy" or have play in them when moved with your finger. Otherwise I would clean everything really well with a rag. The creaking is usually from dirt between the frame and washers.