mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Warranty on Specialized Epic frame

I'm starting to experience fatigue on the downtube where the crossmember from the seatstay post makes that triangle for strength. The powder paint is starting to crack, thus leading me to believe the frame is stressing. I hear clicking when I'm sitting on the seat, but when I stand up it stops clicking. I dont want to do a nice long ride and end up stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a broken frame, nor do I wish to break another bone in the process of "killing" my bike.
    This is a 2004 white comp bought back in January. Practically brand new. I've only ridden like 800 miles on it and I wonder if anyone in these chatboards has had good or bad luck warranting their frame. Do they give you a hard time? My bike shop said to ride till it dies, but I dont want to be stuck with a broken frame that knocked me back $2K. Please any information would be helpful.
    Thanks!

Driven by watts inside
    Don't worry. Specialized will warranty that with no problems, whether or not you send it in now or keep riding it. You'll have to get your LBS to call Specialized for an RMA and they'll ship it out for you. The LBS will probably charge you to dismantle and rebuild the bike, so you may want to strip it yourself if you're a good mechanic. Specialized will inspect the frame closely, so make sure the evidence is pretty obvious before wasting your time. You may need a copy of your receipt, too.

- Jeremy -

I think I need to Upgrade
    First of all, make sure you have your original recipt. Specialized like all others is a stickler about that, they will most likely want a copy of it faxed to them before they even consider doing a warranty replacement on your frame. Second, like your LBS told you, ride it till it breaks. Specialized most likely will not do anything until there is a failure. If you realy don't want to ride it until it breaks, talk to your local Specialized shop and find out when the Rep is going to be in there again and make aragements to have the bike there for ther rep to look at and see if he can/will authorize a waranty replacement before a catastrophic failure takes place.

In case you are wondering, I work for a Specialized dealer and I have delt with issues like this before and this is the best advice that I can give you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Thanks

You guys set my mind at ease. I have every bit of paperwork from the dealer including the yellow sale tag.
    Thanks again!

Boomslang

Don't Ride A Cracked Bike

Hey,

If you suspect ANY possibility of a frame crack, stop riding and take it to your shop.

Your shop's advice to "ride it 'till it dies" is not good advice, unless they are certain it's just a paint chip. Get it replaced! No one wants any risk of you getting hurt, especially not yourself.

Have it looked at again. We'll replace it if there is any question whatsoever.

JW

Canuck on this Rock

stop! don't ride!

Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    Hey,

If you suspect ANY possibility of a frame crack, stop riding and take it to your shop.

Your shop's advice to "ride it 'till it dies" is not good advice, unless they are certain it's just a paint chip. Get it replaced! No one wants any risk of you getting hurt, especially not yourself.

Have it looked at again. We'll replace it if there is any question whatsoever.

JW
    I work for a Specialized dealer here in Hawaii, and if someone comes in with a 'potential' cracked frame, we inspect it with a fine tooth comb. Now we don't have the luxury of sending the frame back to Specialized, so on the most part they take the opinion of our shops diagnosis. But if it is cracked, SBC will take care of you. I really believe they have the best warranty department in the industry.

peace.
    chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli-ss
    I work for a Specialized dealer here in Hawaii, and if someone comes in with a 'potential' cracked frame, we inspect it with a fine tooth comb. Now we don't have the luxury of sending the frame back to Specialized, so on the most part they take the opinion of our shops diagnosis. But if it is cracked, SBC will take care of you. I really believe they have the best warranty department in the industry.

peace.
    chris
    LOVE the Storm Trooper "whos' your daddy?"

Thanks for your input folks! Much appreciative.

Guinness is GOOD for you

cracked chain stay

i have the white 2004 epic comp, i think the same bike as you. i noticed a small crack in the paint on the right side of my chainstay on the inside near where the tire passes by. it was very tiny about 1.5 cm long and barely noticable in width. it looked like a scratch but you could tell it was chipped up from under the paint(hope that makes sense). i took it in to my shop and they replaced it for free, installed it for free, even gave me the s-works m5 alloy in anodized black and had it done in less than two weeks. very nice.