mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Warranty question, help needed please.

Hey all,

Dug my Enduro 05 expert out of retirement for the summer and gave it a clean etc, put it all back together. Tentatively I got on it and started riding (was expecting the thing to just blow up in an almighty explosion out of spite) and all was fine. Till I started pumping the front wheel up with air. I saw this

My warranty claims that:

General Exclusions from this warranty shall include but are not limited to any failures
    caused by:
    Installation of parts or accessories that are not qualitatively equivalent to genuine Fox Racing
    Shox parts.
    Abnormal strain, neglect, abuse and/or misuse.
    Accident and/or collision damage.
    Modification of original parts.
    Lack of proper maintenance.
    Shipping damages or loss (purchase of full value insurance is recommended).
    Damage to interior or exterior caused by improper cable routing, rocks, crashes or improper
    installation.
    Oil changes or service not performed by Fox Racing Shox or an Authorized Service Center.
    Specific Exclusions from this warranty shall include:
    Parts replaced due to normal wear and tear and/or routine maintenance.
    Parts subject to normal wear and tear and/or routine maintenance:
    Bushings
    Seals
    Suspension fluids
    Dropouts
    Disc brake tabs

Now I have not done anything wrong with this bike, its a heavyweight XC bike and nothing else, nothing brutal has ever happened to this thing. The mangled 20mm axle hex key hole is superficial and the bolts are never tightened to the point of causing damage to the fork lowers.

The bike was bought may 2005 from leisurelakes in the UK and I will ring them to see what can be done. I seem to recall from my warranty with Specialized that the frame itself is lifetime warranty but the parts are 1 year. So hopefully fox will do the right thing.

Guys where do I stand? I really cant justify 600 odd for a new set as my AV stuff just pushed my credit into the red. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Might I add that I am going to Cumbria in 2 weeks time minus my bike

mtbr member
    Don't think it's a Specialized issue any more. It'll be up to Fox and your bike shop to work with them.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well I rang the bike shop and they said bring it in. I told him the fork was a fox 36 that had cracked and the first thing he said was where the bolts are tightened before I even mentioned it. So it sounds like a known problem or he reads these forums

I really hope things work out for me as I'm resigned to the fact that I cant take it to cumbria with me but I'd love to get back on it for the summer. As ridicolous as it sounds I'd probably have to get the new carbon sl to make up for it on 0% finance.

Now wheres the girlfriend pacifier....

...idios...
    Here's the opinion of a cynic; judging by the state of the Hex hole on your 20mm axle, I'm guessing that whoever it is that regularly fits that axle is not the most attentive of wrenches. Have you figured out how the damage occured? Had you tighened the pinch bolts to the correct (not too much/too little) torque? Around 6Nm is not even full-weight on the short end of a hex key. If the guy from the shop has exeperience of forks breaking in the same way because the pinch bolts are improperly installed, the "known problem" may be cack-handed wrenches, not a weakness in Fox's design/materials.
    I realise this may not be what you want to hear, but my gut feeling is user error. It's certainly not an issue for Specialized, and expecting Fox to "do the right thing" may be a little optimistic. I'll guess that whoever fitted the wheel has failed to torque the pinch-bolts correctly and is therefore responsible for replacing the fork. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes the axle was initially an error the first time I had to change wheel. I put the hex key in and the nuts werent loose enough and because the metal is SO soft (im an aluminium fabricator and Ive seen softer aluminium) the hex key just turned there. It looks a mess purely because its been filed hexagonal again with a 2mm file to fit a larger hex in. Anyways this has been working for nearly 2 years now.

The tightness of the bolts, I dont have a torque wrench and the bolts have to come off obviously to change the tubes when they go pop on the trail. I carry the bar minimum in my camelbak when I go riding so torque wrench is last on my mind. I have always been careful tightening them, I can best describe it is hand strong and obviously not bending the hex key.

Incidentally, i thought I had taken the bolts off the other fork leg, or at least one of them. Well strangely enough, theres a bolt thread minus the head in one of the bolt holes. I dont know whats happened but this wrench that has had no problems for 2 years has a massive problem.

I appreciate your input, I guess i best explain all this to the shop as well as I can. As I said im a fabricator and have fairly decent insight into what to do and what to donts but at the end of the day every product is different, same goes with steel, alloys etc. Shame its not an aluminimu lower (i think) or id just weld the bugger back together again.