jason8265

Warranty - 08 Epic vs 10 FSR-XC

So I developed a crack in my 03 Enduro frame and Specialized has offered two frames up to replace it. One is an 08 Epic marathon frame and the other is a 2010 FSR XC Pro frame. I currently also have a 07 Enduro SL so I am trying to figure out what I should build for a second bike. I love the ride of the SL and the 2010 FSR looks like the same frame in a 120 version which may be a great second bike. It also seems like it's the same frame as the 09 Stumpy but maybe a little heavier. The 08 Epic may be nice but I would likely build it with the 120mm fork I have and am not sure how well that will work. Also not sure the brain will match my "riding style". I ride hard but am more interested in trail that has good flow then mashing my way to a race win. Any advise?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The fsr xc is very similar to the 09 stumpys, Ive rode both and they are very similar.

If it was me I would go for the fsr xc and use it for the not so aggressive trails and maybe a bike ride around the neighborhood that you normally wouldn't take your enduro for.

I have an 08 enduro and I use my brothers 09 stumpy for this, when I want to go for a short ride through my neighborhood, I jump on his bike. If I want to do some long climbs on fire roads I use his stumpy for that as well.

So you can use the fsr xc for the stuff you don't use your enduro on. Good secondary bike in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Epic looks like a great frame. Its carbon by the looks of it too.

I'd go for the FSR as the sensible option though as your fork will work right and you've expressed some concerns on the EPIC anyway. Its a race bike.

I really like my 2010 FSR XC and its withstood my abuse no probs. Done some downhill on it (although I wouldn't do it again lol - it easily went through the rear shock travel).

The Pro has the triad shock so better than my X-fusion.

mtbr member
    I have an 09 FSRxc Pro (mine) and a 2010 FSRxc Comp (wife's). The FSRxc has pretty much the same geometry and travel and the 08/09 Stumpy. It is a great trail bike and doesnt not weigh much more than the Stumpy.

I had an Epic for a short time, and it was great on fast smooth trails and big climbs and it worked great for a couple offroad triathlons I did, but it wasn't the best for trail riding. It performed well, but I find the FSRxc a lot more "fun" to ride aggressively.

Members who have read this thread: 0