mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Want to upgrade my Hardrock Sport

I just bought 2 Hardrock Sports for my girlfriend and I a few weeks back. At the time I was on a limited budget and didn't want to spend a ton of cash on a bike because I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to ride and how much I'd actually enjoy it. Now I'm hooked and kicking myself I didn't buy a better bike. There are a few things I'd like to upgrade but for now I really want to add disc brakes, but it looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade the rims since the hubs don't accomodate disc brakes. Any suggestions on how I should approach this? Can anyone recommend a set of rims. I was looking at the pro model and it seems they come with Sun singletrack rims. I'd really only like to spend somewhere between $200-300 (which, I know, is almost the cost of the bike.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Okay, slow down a bit, there is nothing that says....

that you can't just pick up a set of hubs and have them laced up to your current rims. This will require new spokes as well, but still cheaper than a whole new wheelset. Get yerself a set of Shimano LX or XT hubs, take em to the shop and have them set them up for you. You even have a choice of the new center lock rotormount or the older IS 6 bolt rotor mount configuration. But you will have to find 36 hole hubs to match the stock rims.

Another option would be to go with an online retailer like Jenson USA. You can get disc wheelsets from about $65 on up to the roof, depending on your budget. They make pretty good wheels too. I've got two sets that have held up well and are still in use after two years, and no major problems, just standard maintenance.

They also have Avid BB7 mechanical discs going for $65 a set. New cables and you'd be in business. Depending on your wheel set you could easily come in under $300. Just remember, you do get what you pay for. But you should be able to come up with a pretty good durable set up for that amount.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

ballbuster

Eh....

... you can do XT disc hubs and Bontrager or Mavic rims for about $200 wtih DB spokes and they are totally worthy of moving to a sweeter bike when you decide to upgrade.

That frame is totally decent. You can upgrade stuff, and even move those upgrades to a new frame if you upgrade that at some point. I would start with tires, wheels, disc brakes, and stuff like that, then re-assess where you stand on the whole thing. A light wheelset with disc brakes makes all the difference in the world, as does the fork. Nothing beats a nice suspension fork. I bought a Reba a year ago, and love it. I see them used for $200 all the time, and they go for $300-500 new depending on which version.

Keepin' it real since '74
    Man, I don't know if I would upgrade like that. To make that bike really shine, you would need to upgrade the cr@p stock fork, wheelset, tires, and brakes. You're talking a lot of money...much more than you bought the bike for.

I had the upgrade bug with my first bike, a Trek 4500. I put approx. $1,000 into a $400 bike. Looking back on it, I really wish I had saved that money and put it toward a new bike.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

-> SickLines.com <-
    How much do you have to spend? I agree with it might be better to just buy a new bike as bad as that might sound... If its still as new as you say it is you might be able to sell it without too mcuh loss and get a bike you really wanted to begin with.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

ahh stumpjumper fsr

Well you said it... you're hooked.... Stumpjumper fsr.. all smiles and going strong..
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

Going for a ride......
    I was in a similar situation - brought a Hardrock Comp for both my husband and myself in 2001 and althought my husbands bike is almost as new, I was starting to feel the limitations of the low end fork on mine - I rode alot and mostly on dirt!

Anyway I considered the upgrading option, disc brakes and the lot, it would have cost me more than I paid for the bike in the first place, so I decided to cut my losses, sold the bike for a quarter of what it was worth new and just put a deposit down on a Giant Trance 3. I think it will keep me happy for a very long time and will be worthy of upgrades down the track. I guess the other issue with my old bike is the frame wasn't disc compatible in the rear end.

Depends how hooked you are I suppose, and what kind of riding you forsee yourself doing. Either upgrade - like someone said you can always upgrade the frame down the track too. Or cut your losses and get a new bike with all the stuff you want on it. Like I found out upgrading is the more expensive way to go by far.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well luckily I have a buddy that works at the LBS and I surf with the owner all the time. So they hooked me up with new shifters and pedals for free. They talked me out of disc brakes for now, and instead offered a sweet deal on a new fork, a Marzzochi EXR Pro. So once I get all that stuff on I'm going to call it quits until September and hopefully buy a new bike. I've been wanting a bike for so long and held off buying one because I new it would be another expensive hobby to dump money into. But I have to say I'm so glad I bought it, and I'm completely hooked. Haven't picked out my next bike yet but I drool all over my keyboard just about everyday...