I AM The Burger King

Want to upgrade my 06 Rockhopper Comp to disc brakes, how?

Searched and found nothing. What all do I need? Can I use stock hubs? What kits do you suggest? Any information is helpful
    FREE photo hosting at UpItAll! Try it now for free! No pop ups, no ads, 99% uptime! www.UpItAll.Com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoo
    Searched and found nothing. What all do I need? Can I use stock hubs? What kits do you suggest? Any information is helpful
    Talk to your local bike shop as to what you want and they'll set you up. This way you get the right parts the first time round and if it doesn't work right you can go to them for a fix.

mtbr member
    If the hubs still out on the left side with a configuration with 6 holes, you can use the same hubs. If it's flat on both side, nope, you need new hubs/wheels. Its always more expensive to upgrade later, but I'd reccomend getting a nice set of wheels. This way it can easily transfer to your next bike, and the next bike, and the next bike. I know the frame has the disc tab on the rear chainstay on the left side, and I'm sure your tora does, too. Now to decide (after the choice of wheels) what brakes you want. People have a lot of good things to say about the Avid BB7's (mechanical) and Avid Juicy 5's (hydaulic). You get more power with the hydraulic, but then you have to bleed them, ect... A lot easier to go with the BB7's. Hopefully I helped?

mtbr member
    If the hubs still out on the left side with a configuration with 6 holes, you can use the same hubs. If it's flat on both side, nope, you need new hubs/wheels. Its always more expensive to upgrade later, but I'd reccomend getting a nice set of wheels. This way it can easily transfer to your next bike, and the next bike, and the next bike. I know the frame has the disc tab on the rear chainstay on the left side, and I'm sure your tora does, too. Now to decide (after the choice of wheels) what brakes you want. People have a lot of good things to say about the Avid BB7's (mechanical) and Avid Juicy 5's (hydaulic). You get more power with the hydraulic, but then you have to bleed them, ect... A lot easier to go with the BB7's. Hopefully I helped?

mtbr member
    I have an '05 RH that I upgraded to disc brakes. It was pretty expensive and I was probably better off getting a better bike in the first place...but oh well!! I'm a student and didn't have enough saved up back then. There's pic of my bike with the upgrades on the show your bike thread.
    But here's what I had to replace:
    Wheels - needed ones with disc hubs
    Triggers - originally my RH came with Alivio's combined with v-brake levers. Since I was upgraded to Juicy 5's which come with hydraulic levers I had to remove the Alivio's.
    Disc Brakes: I got hydraulics. The lever feel and modulation is totally worth it in my opinion; not to mention the self-adjusting and power feature.

I got my wheels off craigslist for a really good price which started this whole project. I wasn't really thinking of upgrading beforehand since I knew the wheels would be money. I got xt triggers and Juicy 5's new off retailers on ebay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

For a disc upgrade as a minimum....

you'll need the following.

The brakes of course, I'd recommend Avid BB7's for mechanicals. You can use your existing levers no problem. If you go with hydraulic brakes they'll come with the levers. You can get cheaper brakes than the BB7s but you won't find any better or easier to set up and maintain.

And you'll need a set of wheels. The 06 Hopper Comp came with standard hubs that are not compatable with disc brakes.

Figuring brakes and wheels, it'll run you right in the neighborhood of $375, with a reasonable set of wheels, something like XT 6 bolt hubs with Mavic rims. The wheels you get really depend on your budget.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"