Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

want to know more about the SX

not the trail version, just to specify but the shorter travel SX

I have a couple of friends who are having a blast trail riding their Transition Doubles. I have been looking at the new Specialized SX in that regard. I would like to take it to jump parks and stuff but also want to trail ride it. My thoughts are to use my lyrik solo air and since the frame is tapered, run a flush mount bottom cup to keep the front end low. If that does not ride well, i can always use travel spacers to drop the travel to where desired.
    What are these frames building up at weight wise. Looks like there is plenty of seat post adjustability and the new type of front deraileur mounts. Any downsides people can think of to this idea? I want a 67'ish degree head angle and like the idea of low and short when I describe my ideal trail bike.
    Specialized advertises bike with 68 slackest setting and low 12 bb height for lowest setting. They don't say other settings and they don't say what fork travel that is with. Any more info? I am looking at the 09/10 model styling for this project. Realize its early for the '10 stuff and that is why there is so little info out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Team NSMB's Andrew Sherry is on one, and apparently he loves it:
    http://www.nsmb.com/team/3325-specia...sx-bike-check/

I considered one for my next bike until I priced it out with the parts I wanted. I'll just be sticking with a complete bike for now.

cde
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ride a 09 white SX. The bb height stated in their web must be with a 120 fork or 100 fork with huge tires, cause mine with a fox F100 and 2.1 tires bb height is only 305mm which is really a bit too low for general riding.

Apart from the low BB it's an awesome bike, for trail riding seatpost height should be fine if u are not taller for 5'10". I am 5'8" and the size S fit me perfectly. Frame w/ shock is about 8.5lbs, whole bike came in at 30.5lbs, not light but you don't feel it when riding.

I recomand keeping the bike low with a 100 or 120 fork, as it make the bike rail corners and at the same time stable in the steep high speed stuff. Superb fun and super confident. With this frame u don't feel the need of 6" inch travel. I say go for it!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Great responses, thank you. I will have the winter to ponder the decision but am really liking that frame. I am wanting a bike with less travel but solid for parks and such, that frame is the most appealing to me right now. Seat tube angle looks good for pedaling but wonder how the short chainstays will affect it. Horst link is always pedals well. Do you trail ride yours? Do you feel it is much of a compromise if any doing that? I am 6'2" but would be transferring my KS adjustable seat post so know I could get the extension I need. For reference, I am coming off a 6 inch bike weighing at 33 lbs, and before that, another 6 inch bike weighing 41. I was mostly wanting to keep getting lighter if possible, under 33 is fantastic.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i dont think putting lyriks on SX is an good idea, long travel makes the bb too high + meaning you cant hit jump or drops at decent speed unless theres a long enough run up
    you want something shorter like fox F120 or similar 120mm travel forks
    you can also run step down headset to use stright 1 1/8 steerer forks

its possible to build it abt 33lbs, just dont use stupid heavy steel parts on it and it would be fine

the 09 and 10 are basically same frame but different colour
    my mate have reveived his SX frameset like last week and building it up by nxt week so yh i will get him 2 post some pics here))
    Custom 08 Swork Stumpy FSR
    Custom Revell 250R Jump/4x/street
    Custom '10 Enduro - "sometimes trail ride turns into freeride"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, I figured the lyrik would be too tall even with a flush mount lower cup headset and a 1 1/8 steer. But the nice thing about the solo air is I can use travel spacers and lower its travel. I was thinking flush mount with 140 would give me a 67'ish degree head angle and still in the 12's bb height. This is all speculation though so would love to hear from as many people who have this frame as possible. Pics would be great also, the frame is hot looking and very few people seem to have them.

cde
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The SX do pedal ok and I do trail ride mine. Apart from the low bb, there isn't much of a compromise for general riding. It is heavier than a normal 4" bike, but nothing too serious. I think 110-120mm is the optimal front travel, any more you may find the hori. TT too short for any uphill work. Here is mine (cell phone pic):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails want to know more about the SX-img_0252a.jpg  

mtbr member
    i just bought an 07 sx frame and in the process of building it up. man oh man do i love this bike, even with my subpar components. i want to rock the pike's or something else than my marz dj fork. suggestions... i kinda like 110mm
    Attached Images Attached Images      

SamIAm
    a spec rep came through a LBS and had an old 05 kyle strait SX he bought off of him. wish i woulda taken a pic. anyone got one or a link?
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Built of this '05 frame a few months ago and I could not be happier! It is snappy, fun to ride, plush for bigger hits, but still pedals well and has fairly adjustable geometry to suit most riding styles and applications. I have a 7.875x2.25" RP23 on there and the chip that gives a higher BB and steeper HA. The larger shock gives it almost 5" of rear travel and make the bike handle superbly. This bike rips. With the kit on it now, it can handle a bit of everything and still pedals very well. I know its not the newest version, but if this is any indication of how Specialized does the SX, then I would not hesitate getting a recent frame.
    Old pics, but you get the idea. Since added a 36 Talas RC2, XTR M970 kit all around and Schwalbe Big Betty's.

Take time to be safe
    Jul 2008

Freshly built.

want to know more about the SX-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What is with the color? Is that a SX trail with the shorter shock? I didn't know they came out in silver.

Take time to be safe
    Jul 2008
    It's an SX slalom, 4". The frame is a paint sample I got from the Specialized B2B blem site. So far as I know it's the only one out there. It was a pain in the arse trying to get a shock for the thing. Fox doesn't make a 1.5" stroke air shock. Had to have PUSH reduce the stroke of a shock I had.

mtbr member

Just bought a 06 from ebay

The frame is black to white lightning bolts. Just got done building it up and it feels like a ripper!.. I also got a 09 Marzocchi 55 ATA Micro which is a SICK fork with adjustable travel from 120mm to 165..
    My SX is sitting at 32.2lbs with downhill cranks. If i put my Hone cranks on there it will be under 32 lbs.
    I'll post pics as soon as I find my camera.
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Last two dudes, what do you plan to use these bikes for? If you use it for trail riding as well as jumping/slalom stuff, I would love to know how it handles trails. A couple of people have chimed on on that aspect but that is what I would do 75% of the time so more input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    I'm going to use it for my everyday trail bike. I like the fact that the stays are so short for the twisty turns. I do jump but there isn't many jumps in my area. I will prob. limit my drops to about 5-6 ft. I have a feeling this bike will feel like my Azonic Steelhead hardtail bike except with 4.2 in of travel in the rear.
    I'm not a spinning climber in fact I hate to climb these days. With the family getting bigger and having less time my fitness just sucks so climbing effeciency isn't a concern. When the hills turn steep and fast or technical is where I wake up and shine.
    I'll let you know when I get my first ride in how it feels all around. So far the street test felt great. Snappy turning, manuels easy and the front fork feels great even at 165mm. I'll prob drop the fork travel for the climbs though.
    I am putting on the Envy Double E2 ring system on the front instead of a front derailler. Basically being able to run a granny and a middle chainring without a derailler. You manually shift it over when you need it. I want to try this or maybe the Hammerschmidt system. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here is mine 2010 SX Trail I. Not the greatest bike to climb up hill with. Down hill its just point and go. A confidence booster for sure.
    want to know more about the SX-trail-i.jpg

mtbr member
    demodude, isnt 140-165 a bit high? i remember reading something about 160mm is the max? i could be wrong, but how's it feel on the trails with some light climbing?

Take time to be safe
    Jul 2008
    I just took mine (the silver SX slalom) on a 12 mile XC loop last night. I put on my Gravity Dropper and a 11-34t cassette and it did fairly well all things considered. BB is a bit low for sure so you really have to time the pedal strokes in the rocks. It makes it all up on the downhills. The bike just rips. Loves to come off the ground and corners like nothing else. Pumped.
    Last edited by edimm; 12-04-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Take time to be safe
    Jul 2008

Cross country style

Dig it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails want to know more about the SX-photo.jpg  

mtbr member

Well I finally got the camera to my bike

Here is the final setup, it was 32.2 lbs without the Command post so I imagine its around 33 lbs.
    A few notes:
    2006 SX
    2009 Marzocchi 55 ATA Micro with adjustable travel 120-165 SICK FORK!
    Hone cranks
    Envy double E2 ring
    Easton Havoc Wheelset 2009 with funbolt thru axle
    Azonic B-52 handlebars
    Juicy 5 brakes
    Specialized Command post
    Eskar tire rear, Clutch in the front.
    Thompson X4 stem

So far I'm loving this bike for the trail here in Laguna. The wheelbase is 2 inches shorter than my Enduro SL (on ebay right now, its the red one frame only). I love the cornering abilities and being able to get this thing into the air. I had to buy the command post because I love to lower my seat all the way down but need the climbing extention. My current post was about 2 inches too short and I didnt want to raise the lowest seat position.
    Specialized hooked me up with a free low bottom bracket position shock shuttle, so props to them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails want to know more about the SX-dscn5023.jpg  

want to know more about the SX-dscn5027.jpg  

want to know more about the SX-dscn5028.jpg  

want to know more about the SX-dscn5031.jpg  

want to know more about the SX-dscn5029.jpg  

want to know more about the SX-dscn5026.jpg  

Take time to be safe
    Jul 2008
    That thing's dope. Super interesting chainguide idea.

Have you tried running the tall shock shuttle? It might let you use a bit more of that fork without choppering it out. My '09 is fixed in "oh so low" position, feels weird above 120mm of front travel. Corners with authority though.

My bike is sitting right around 33lbs too. I'm planning a diet of Chris King with a bit of SRAM/Shimano salad. Will post when closer to perfection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What do you mean by it feeling weird above 120mm front travel? I like the idea of a taller front to get a sltightly slacker head angle and bring the bb up a bit for the trail riding ventures. Not as ideal for the dirt jumps or 4x style riding but if you are using this bike for lots of disciplines, I think it could work well. The reason for this post actually is to find out if my ideas would work with this frame.

mtbr member
    nice set up dude! what is a bottom bracket position shock shuttle used for btw? and are you running a 5' rear shock? i picked up a shiver fork for really cheap, great condition, but the spring is a bit soft, getting the x-heavy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails want to know more about the SX-shiv.jpg  

mtbr member

above 125mm

Honestly having the travel up at 165mm makes the bike come alive on rough techy downhills and does really great on speed corners. I come from downhill so a slacker HA is my preferance. My Demo 7 is at about 64-65 degrees and the sx is around 66-67 which is just fine for me. I won't be DJing or Dual Saloming any time soon. This is my trailbike for sure. That is the reason I'm not worried about the slacker angles.
    Does it feel weird.... not at all.

The question about the shock shuttle and what it does. It's the foward shock mount. There are 2. A high bb and low bb shuttle. These change your HA by a degree or so and raise or lower your bottom bracket by about 1/2 inch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast