Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    71

    want to do a brain transplant

    SJ expert FSR with a Specialized shock that has a brain and needs a transplant. I'm thinking replace this Specialized branded shock with an RP23 Fox for ease of maintenance.

    I've heard the eye-to-eye may not be something you can necessarily match on these in-house shocks.

    Anyone try this transplant and see their Stumpy live to ride again?

    Sending this in for service every 150 hrs is not realistic as it takes 4 weeks turn-around IF your LBS will bother with your low dollar generating request to send the thing to Utah.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by crankspd View Post
    SJ expert FSR with a Specialized shock that has a brain and needs a transplant. I'm thinking replace this Specialized branded shock with an RP23 Fox for ease of maintenance.

    I've heard the eye-to-eye may not be something you can necessarily match on these in-house shocks.

    Anyone try this transplant and see their Stumpy live to ride again?

    Sending this in for service every 150 hrs is not realistic as it takes 4 weeks turn-around IF your LBS will bother with your low dollar generating request to send the thing to Utah.
    I replaced mine with a RP23 and Could not be happier
    What year is your bike?
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    71
    I bought it used off a Specialized employee. He knew it was bad but sold it without telling me

    It must be a 2009 or 2010, but that's a guess.

    What stroke and shock length did you get?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by crankspd View Post
    I bought it used off a Specialized employee. He knew it was bad but sold it without telling me

    It must be a 2009 or 2010, but that's a guess.

    What stroke and shock length did you get?
    Rakuman has a 2012 FSR Elite. Search for his posts & he details what he had to do to make it work.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MikeBurnsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    160
    I have a 2011 Elite that I swapped over to a RP23. Went from a 7.75x1.9" shock to a 7.75x2.0" shock. The RP23 was from the same year EVO model.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

  6. #6
    old fart
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,181
    The RP23 has the same service requirements as the AFR Brain.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    71
    Turns out the brain measures 7.25x1.75 and Pricepoint has the Fox in a CTD non-boost valve for it but not an RP23.

    I've rebuilt and serviced previous RP23's on my other bike, you can't do that with a Specialized branded shock with a brain. Not even the LBS can do that.

    I have my opinion on why this is so.
    Last edited by crankspd; 09-02-2012 at 09:46 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBurnsie View Post
    I have a 2011 Elite that I swapped over to a RP23. Went from a 7.75x1.9" shock to a 7.75x2.0" shock. The RP23 was from the same year EVO model.
    So they went from a 7.25x1.75 to yours in 1 year, these makers can never make up their minds.

    Found out my FSR Expert Carbon is an '09 with a 7.25x1.75. Fox makes that size in the 2012 RP23 so I guess that the route I go. Since I live Watsonville, I can easily take it up to Fox for needed servicing.

    Our bike club went on a tour of the facilities a few years ago, very frustrating to see thousands of shocks and forks sitting in row after row and not be working there in order to get a nice employee discount.
    Last edited by crankspd; 09-02-2012 at 09:45 PM.

  9. #9
    old fart
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally Posted by crankspd View Post
    Turns out the brain measures 7.25x1.75 and Pricepoint has the Fox in a CTD non-boost valve for it but not an RP23.

    I've rebuilt and serviced previous RP23's on my other bike, you can't do that with a Specialized branded shock with a brain. Not even the LBS can do that.

    I have my opinion on why this is so.
    Not sure what your point is. There is nothing stopping you rebuilding an AFR Brain shock in the same way you do an RP23. If you can do an RP23, you can do a Brain. There is no "secret sauce" required other than the service kit and a nitrogen charge. Just don't expect either vendor to honour the warranty.

    Obviously there is no issue whatsoever from the LBS perspective about doing an Air Sleeve service on either shock.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •