mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Vintage Rockhopper Shifting Issue

I have a mid 1990's Specialized Rockhopper that I am going to start using. As a result, I decided to take the morning to inspect it all and make sure that it is in good operating condition for the trails. As it turns out, the rear mechanism will not shift out of "7". It does not even attempt it and the lever feels like it is not connected to anything. I followed the shifting cable from the handlebars to the rear sprocket (I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology here), and it is connected on both ends, but there appears to be some slack in the line about midway through. Is there a way I can adjust this? I was wanting to go riding tomorrow and don't really want my bike to be in a shop for the next week. Btw, yes, it is purple. I've gotten used to it as the color still beats my tank of a mountain bike from Costco.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is a SWEET bike compared to anything at Costco

You probably just need to replace the cables and housing. I cant say without looking at it. Was it in the rain at all? I would say your best bet is to just bring it into the LBS and have them take a look at it (don't go to Performance). You could try dropping some Tri-flow near the ends of the housing pieces and moving the cable through it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks, I'll try that tonight. Everything I tried to lube was directly in the gears. I really did not try much with the cable. It has not been in rain, but here in AZ, the garage temperature can easily reach 110 on a regular basis. As you can tell in some of the pictures, the heat really gummed up the lubricants that had been on there. I did my best to clean it up after I took those pictures, but it is really going to need to be disassembled. Thanks for the heads up on Performance. There was a local one that quoted $50 for a total bike tune up. As far as I know, that's a decent price. I'm just hoping that they do not have it for too long. I was just hoping this would be something I could work on since, just like everything else, I like to learn how to do it myself so that I don't have to keep paying someone else down the road.

Oh, and thanks for the comment about it being better than a Costco bike. Being a college student, I'm pretty short on funds and can't afford to upgrade. That's fine though as I figure I'm going to learn the basics on this and then advance to a better ride.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need to tighten up the rear derailleur cable tensions. You can do this by turning the barrel counter clockwise to increase the tension. You probably need to adjust the H and L screws too if you are playing around with the tension.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

This will explain the details far better than I can. The site's useful for any sort of maintenance and good for someone who wants to learn how to tweak their own stuff.

mtbr member
    Ktse,

Thank you for the link to Park Tool... very informative site!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmic_Dude
    Ktse,

Thank you for the link to Park Tool... very informative site!
    x2. I'm defintely going to have to read through that a few times, but I really appreciate it.