Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008

Vikingboy's Specialized Enduro build thread

I always enjoy reading other build threads so want to continue to contribute my own in return.

As my riding continued to advance during 2010, I started looking to move up from my then Lapierre Spicy. The Spicy is a incredibly popular bike over here in Europe where the Specialized patent on the horst link design doesn't prevent its sale. What I loved about the Spicy was its competent all round nature, having adapted it from XC focused triple chainrings to a more AM single chainring with Cane Creek Double Barrel coil based suspension I increasingly found my riding pleasure being derived for more downhill orientated riding.
    As my speed and confidence on rougher terrain increased I started to hanker after a bigger bike to allow me to continue to progress, that turned into a lengthy process which included looking at and riding many bikes including 180mm Lapierre Froggy, 160mm custom Nicolai Helius AM, Specialized SX trails through to full on DH bikes like Evil Revolts, Demo 8's, Transition Bottlerockets, 450 & 250.
    I initially ruled out the Enduro because of the proprietary nature of the shock however after taking one for a test ride I decided it was worth the hassle of working around these issues.
    Although the Enduro sports only slightly different geometry than the Enduro, they actually ride very differently. The Enduro rides like a mini downhill bike, the Spicy rides like an Enduro racer, a very competent long travel XC bike. The Spicy is incredibly stable at high speed down alpine descents, but at the same time less manoueverable and flickable. The Enduro is much easier to rip round tight switchbacks, manual and manipulate in the air than the Spicy. The lower bottom bracket allows you to sit in the bike and not on it as you do with the Spicy. Bottom line is the Enduro provides a platform which encourages me to be a hooligan.

Having decided on the Enduro the came time to to purchase, already having a number of high end components I only wanted to purchase a frameset. Long story short (no frameset only supply in the UK, loud 2011 colourways and various other complications I finally received my 2010 Enduro S-works carbon Enduro. I wanted the 2010 model due to the understated nature of the black plus there were no changes to the frame moving into 2011.

The build took place mainly over Christmas......

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    My goal was to build the Enduro up to be lightweight but without going to drastic weight weenie measures which could result in a bike unsafe or unfit for its purpose. I've had close to 20lb builds before which were plagued with problems due to components not fit for purpose. Lesson learnt there.

Suspension

For forks there was only one choice, without doubt the finest 160mm travel forks on the market today are the Bos Devilles recently available at a reduced price. Anyone who has ridden these has been blown away by their plush, progressive nature.

These forks are available from Roger at R53 in the UK. He's a top guy a deserves credit for bringing Bos to the UK.
    http://www.r53engineering.com/index.php/products/suspension/bos-mtb-suspension

Coming back to a Fox air shock from the Cane Creek Double Barrel I was running previously is a disappointment but this will be resolved in the near future.

Brakes
    Only one choice when it comes to brakes for me, Formula.
    Having run both R1s and The Ones my choice is The Ones MY10. Offering a still light weight but with 'Saint' levels of stopping power they are the ultimate weight/performance on the market today. The most frequent complaint with these brakes is they eat pads regularly, I always run with sintered pads from either Goodridge or Superstar and find I get good life from the pads. For UK riding I run 180/180mm, for alpine 200/180mm.

Front brake (with uncut, standard hose)

Rear brake (with uncut, standard hose)

180mm Formula rotor

200mm Formula rotor

Goodridge sintered pads

Hoses have been replaced with Goodridge hose and connectors as it makes cable replacement easy should any accidents occur.

I have the MY2011 FCS adjusters to add but due to a thread mismatch with the Goodridge connectors I'm not running these currently.

Since spending time on several big mountains with prolonged descents, I only use Castrol SRF fluid due its market leading resistance to fade/boiling.

Transmission
    As my main enjoyment from riding is now downhill orientated. So long as the bike can ride to the hills and get up them, even if I'm not first to the top I'm happy. I'd had a good experience with a SRAM based 1x9 setup on my Spicy, the only complaint being the lowest 34t gear on the 9 speed cassettes was a touch high for some of the hills around here. Logical conclusion was to run a SRAM based 1x10 setup with a 36T rear cassette.

To keep weight down, I went with a SRAM XX cassette.

This was paired with a 36T e.thirteen guidering, mounted with titanium bolts

M970 XTR crank arms

Chris King bottom bracket (without inner sleeve)

e.thirteen chain guide (cant find picture of weight currently)

2011 Sram X0 short cage derailleur

2011 Sram X0 shifter pod

I used a SRAM 1091R 10 speed chain initially but as per my previous experiences with SRAM chains it seems to have stretched prematurely compared to my time on XTR chains. I'll be back on a XTR chain in the near future.

To keep weight down further, titanium bolts and drilled titanium washers were used for mounting hardware.

Rolling stock

Probably one of the biggest influences on how a bikes ride I find, light weight wheels and tyres are great, until a point where traction & reliability start to cause issues. I'm also a bug fan of tubeless setups.....when done right. True UST rims and tyres provide reliability were previous solutions (Stans) burped and ultimately let me down with tyres blowing off rims. For this reason I've gone with the lightest UST rims available which are suitable for AM use, the Easton Haven carbon wheelset.

I'm currently a fan of Maxxis tyres and use a DH-F 2.5" supertacky on the front and a Highroller, 2.5" maxxpro on the rear. These are heavy tyres but they haven't let me down. I'll probably try some lighter tyres in the near future.

I use a Newyork Freeride rear axle with is hollow aluminium with Titanium bolts, driller titanium washers and lockrings. Its been 100% reliable so far but is a bit of a faff to install and remove.

Cockpit

Point1 Racing provide the lightest stem with minimum flex currently. Lightened by a full compliment of titanium hardware and an aluminium steerer bolt.

A big fan of wider bars due to the fact they suit my frame better and offer greater stability at speed I run Easton Havoc carbon bars which are 750mm wide and offer 20mm of rise, perfect for a low front end.

Selected a Rockshox Reverb seatpost, 30.9 x 380mm, adjustable seat posts are a revelation if riding varied terrain and worth the weight offset over a fixed post. Having previously used and enjoyed the Kindshock 950, the Reverb is a step up in quality. This is with an uncut hose

I use a SDG Fly-Ti saddle. Its skinny profile makes moving around it easy but it's still comfortable enough to ride for 6 hours at a time.
    Will post up weight picture of saddle later...

ODI Ruffian lock on grips have been reliable and comfortable. Used with Titanium hardware for a small weight saving but more importantly, lack of rust!
    Last edited by vikingboy; 01-29-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Here's the finished article, it weighs in at 29lbs on my park scales, I could drop a couple of pounds by running lighter tyres but there isn't really many other places where weight could be shed without sacrificing strength.

Next steps are to sort out the rear suspension.......got a few options to play with......

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks great! How does it ride?

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike! Money well spent..enjoy it!
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    nice, thats a pretty crazy build man

all your base
    Beautiful man!

Mountain Man Dan
    I love threads like this. !
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Goes without saying - ****ing sexy build there!

Get a coil on it and stop messing around
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Thanks guys, its been great fun building it up, only had it out for a quick spin yesterday to set it up for thos weekend.... first ride out in anger tomorrow.
    Re rear shocks, I'm placing orders for a Rockshox monarch plus rc3 from Push and will also get my CCDB adapted for this frame - it sounds like cane creek are going to support it after all. It will be interesting seeing just how much performance Bos can get out of their air shock when it releases in a few months. If the Devilles are anything to go by, it should be pretty special too.

Will update this thread as I test and evolve the bike, certainly interesting times for MTB technology

mtbr member
    That is one impressive build!!! I wish I had your bank account.

eBiker
    Very cool build!

P

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Nice build there! Those carbon Enduro framesets are the bee's knees.

mtbr member
    How much did you pay for the deville fork? cant find any info on the link you posted : (

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    750-ish.
    Speak to Roger at UK distributors (bosmtb@r53engineering.com or ring +44 (0) 7785 292082)

mtbr member
    thanks, how does it compare to a 36?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Check the Bos suspension thread for some comparative thoughts.

mtbr member
    Do you have a link?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How do you like the 75 degree seat tube angle on the Enduro, compared to the 72 degree angle on the Spicy?
    That was one of my favorite aspects of the Enduro - the seat angle really gets you over the pedals for "XC" like pedaling efficiency.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow, killer build with great attention to detail. Let'r rip!

Big Hittin'
    amazing bike.

i got a dhx rc2 on the way for mine!
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Very cool - looks like bigger and meaner brother of what I am going to build - upgraded 2010 Enduro Pro (silver). Did I understand correctly that PUSH will be selling RS Monarch Plus RC3 for that frame? I guess I should call them myself - but could you comment?

Beer Please!
    I love the look of that frame, very nice bike man.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast