mtbr member
    Sep 2007

very annoying creak on a 2008 Stumpjumper FSR.

My 08 stumpy creaks like mad. My LBS said it was the alloy rails on the saddle that made contact with the metal plates that are used to hold it in place. I tried cleanng it and i added some lube but creaking is still there. Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Does it have a brain? If so check the hose rubbing near the BB pivot. Also check the air sleeve seals are lubed. Clean and apply a small amount of grease to seat post clamp (unless it's carbon!). Also try squirting a bit of WD-40 or lube where the seat rails enter the plastic skeleton of the saddle. Check cable housing frame lugs (though you should have full housing).

bitey
    Dec 2007

Smile stumpy creak

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSMosh
    My 08 stumpy creaks like mad. My LBS said it was the alloy rails on the saddle that made contact with the metal plates that are used to hold it in place. I tried cleanng it and i added some lube but creaking is still there. Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?
    check the top through bolt on your shock,mine creaked like crazy when it was new,
    remove bolt , clean parts,grease plastic bush and bolt,refit bolt with blue locktight'
    no more creak,JOB DONE

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    you Sure its Not your Knees , hips or elbows creaking ?

Seriously though I had an Issue with the hose on the Brain ( 2007 FSR stumpy ) , where is was Zip Tied to the Frame , it was rubbing and making strange sounds , took me forever to figure it out. I thouhgt My tire was rubbing the frame at one point. I cut the zip tie away , it really is not needed and the noises all went away
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    My 06 creaked like crazy. I found a good deal on a Thomson post, installed it, and torqued the seat rail clamps to spec. No more creak. From what I can tell the head of the seatpost was creaking but no matter how tight it was the creak wouldn't go away. BTW, although you will hear lots of praise about stripping grease off a seatpost and using chalk only (even from me), this is NOT a good solution. The post stayed in place but there was a gawd awful creak. I pulled the post out and with chalk still on it, lathered it up with grease and reinstalled. No more problems. Did the same thing on the Thomson post as well.

A new problem I found is that when my bike gets wet, the pivots on the chainstays start creaking badly. I have disassembled and relubed (not replaced) all the cartridge bearings once. I need a better grease than what I used before that is more resistant to water.

Winter is over in SoCal!!
    Dec 2007
    I had the same problem with my 2008 Enduro (when it was brand new). I took it back to my LBS and they took apart all the suspension linkage and lubed everything up for me - problem solved! Everything is silent and running great now.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Check pivot tightness. If that dosen't work throw lube in one pivot at a time. That how iv'e solved many annoying Sj and Enduro problems.

mtbr member
    I had a very annoying creak on my 07 Stumpy FSR. We looked around at several things, the seat, the cranks, the pedals. Finally, I cleaned the linkage up with brushes and then blew it out with compressed air and, consulting the manual and with two extra hands provided by one of the guys at the LBS I use, we took the non-pivot linkage bolts out, cleaned and greased them (especially the one that goes through the shock) and then torqued them to speck. Creaking gone now for 10 months.
    There's no sex in golf...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    +1 for removing the pivot bolts. Clean, regrease, reinstall. Solved my very annoying creaking problem on my 07 stumpy fsr. Be sure to use the blue thread locker when you reassemble.
    "I want to ride my bicycle."

T Smee
    Oct 2007
    Im really glad that I found this thread, because my 08 FSR Comp has the same creaking. I cant isolate it to the crankset/bottom bracket or the suspension pivots. I know that it isn't the seat post or seat. I checked all the pivot bolts, and I put a very small amount of teflon lubricant in the pivots to see if that will help....

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    The rear end creak on mine comes and goes. I can ride several rides with no creaks, and once in a while it will creak on a ride and then the next ride it will be gone. Maybe it's from creek crossings, but it's hard to tell. I just keep riding and don't worry too much about it.

Absolutely loving the bike though! I've had a couple of FSRs over the years and the new design is awesome, and the new brain really works well. No complaints here. FSR 29er.