Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Value of a 2002 Enduro FSR Pro

I'm looking at a bike listed in the local paper that is a 2002 Enduro Pro. It is silver, has Hayes 6'' disc breaks, fox float r on the rear, and Marzoucci Bombers on the front. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Could anyone comment on this bike and give me an idea as to the worth of it? It would be much appreciated.

Name:  spec_enduro_profsr_02_m.jpg
Views: 2937
Size:  12.4 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I guess the value question is a no-go. Anyway, I also just read an article about Specialized recalling many of the 2002 Enduros over a rear seat stay problem. From what I could tell, they send out replacements to people in need of them to their LBS. However, being that it's now 2011 and not 2002, do you think that this would still be an option for me if I were to purchase this model.

Also, I'm having trouble IDing the seat-stay (I'm new to MTBing). I read the actual recall notice but it said that Specialized was sending a part out to fix the issue. Does this mean that it's a screw or bolt along the seat stay or was it the actual frame that they replaced? Does anyone have a pic of an Enduro seat-stay?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If I were u I would stay away from that bike. I don't know much about the 2002 enduros but I do know u normally can't get a warranty claim unless you're the original owner. Also being 10 years old you'll need to get the suspension checked out. ( at least get the oil changed... Not knowing how the previous owner treated the bike ). Save some money and buy a 2011 on sale somewhere or a used bike that is a bit newer. In 2009 I bought a 2007 sworks enduro frame only for $500 which new was worth $2000. Just to put it into perspective. If I were to buy that 2002 I wouldn't spend more than around $200

jason8265
    It could be a good bike depending what you want kind of riding you do. I had one and rode the heck out of it for years. Besides if you have any seat stay issues, look me up. I have two sets, one is brand new, that'll I let go pretty cheap.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If you see it in person and its clear that it was never really ridden as intended I'd say it would be fair to go up to maybe $400. Because, what else are you gonna get new for that money ? Not anything with high quality parts and a decent weight. Its its well used I'd say $250 max.

dirt visionary
    Better than that other bike you were looking at.... If it hasn't been ridden much and the price is right its a good starting point but not the best . the 04 was the best year for that frame style
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I purchased the bike this afternoon for $250 from the owner. Most of the parts are original. I should be getting the bike by this weekend. He did make some changes - added Marzocchi Bomber front shocks. The other thing I noticed is that the joint that connects the rear shock to the swingarm is not black as was the original on this model (see pic above). It's actually gold, which is strange because I kind of recall some of the newer Enduro's with this same frame style having the cold colored joint component. Any thoughts?

In the end, I figured that there was no way I was going to get a full suspension bike of this quality in the 200 - 400 range. Hell, I just got back from my LBS, which deals in Specialized and their hard-tail rockhoppers were in the 500 range and up. As it is, I figure I'm going to have to shell out another $100 for a full tune up once the bike arrives.

Jason, as soon as the bike arrives, I'll check out the seatstay. If I need one, I'll definitely contact you. Thanks for the offer.

dirt visionary
    Glad you got a better bike than the 99fsr you were looking at. As far as the link it would be nice to have the updated version but its not going to break or cause issues right off the bat as I assume you are a newer rider. Enjoy...Also visit the other forums and save yourself the money on the tuneup and learn to do it yourself. I give all my bikes a once over every ride. I like my stuff running tip top

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Clockwork, have to admit it that you were the one who had me look into the enduors - though I wasn't able to find any '04 and newer models for the price range I was looking at. Still, the 2002 has some nice lines on the frame and more updated components than the '99 FSR I was looking at.

I know what you mean about the tune-up but I think just for the 1st one, I'll take it to my LBS and have the Specialized gurus go to work on it. I also purchased a Cateye CC-MC100W wireless computer for it and figured they can install this and whatever other updated components I get for it. I would love to do all the work on it myself but I've got a 6 year old, a 4 year old and about 160 students to grade homework for most nights I do plan on doing the tune-ups down the road on my own though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For $250 I think you got a sweet deal. I own two bikes, and they are both 2000 model year, and I love them. I'm sure the current bikes are better, but like you said, a bottom of the line HardRock will cost you twice what this one did. You can upgrade over time and still be $$ ahead. I upgraded my 2000 Cannondale Super-V to 2010 Shimano XT 10 speed drivetrain and it cost me about $300 after selling my old drivetrain parts. My bike shifts like a brand new bike, You'd never know you're riding an oldie until you look down

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Those Cannondale Super-V's are nice. There were a few of them available on Craigslist here in MD but since we have a Specialized store down the street, I figured it was a safer bet to get a used bike that they're used to working on, etc. I had Cannondale racing bike though back in 1992 and I loved that bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I also have a 2000 Specialized S-Works FSR. I switch between that and the Cannondale. Both bikes have their own personalities.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathstalker74 View Post
    I'm looking at a bike listed in the local paper that is a 2002 Enduro Pro. It is silver, has Hayes 6'' disc breaks, fox float r on the rear, and Marzoucci Bombers on the front. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Could anyone comment on this bike and give me an idea as to the worth of it? It would be much appreciated.

Name:  spec_enduro_profsr_02_m.jpg
Views: 2937
Size:  12.4 KB
    The value depends on your locale & the condition of the bike. At $250.00 you stole it.
    So far as the seat stay concern, call specialized about it. Their support staff was helpful when I bought mine. There is a "P" stamped on the inside of my left seat stay. This may indicate that it is okay, or passed. I don't remember exactly what the Specialized Representative said.

Your bike should have a Psylo Uturn fork & a Fox Custom adjustable travel & lock out (itch switch) shock on the rear.

I have this bike with essentially its original setup, and think it's a great all mountain bike, & with an infinitely upgradeable frame.
    I can't justify buying another bike since this one does it all. My 2002 Eduro Pro frame, fork, & shock, was built up with mostly 2000 Eduro FSR Pro parts including Hayes brakes.
    My setup weighs in at 27.5 lbs, before upgrading to a newer Psylo Race Uturn with remote lockout & a extra firm spring. I thought this was heavy until I started looking at the new Stumpy & Enduro's that are in the 33 lb neighborhood.

Enjoy your bike.

Here are some links you may find enjoyable:

BikePedia - 2002 Specialized Enduro Pro FSR Complete Bicycle

Specialized Enduro Pro FSR 2002 Full Suspension Reviews

http://www.sillygrin.co.uk/techstuff...s%20manual.pdf

http://www.birota.ru/manuals/foxflow...al-english.pdf

Specialized FSR Enduro
    Last edited by Unicornz0; 09-13-2011 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    UnicornzO,
    The front shocks on my bike appear to be Marzocchi Bombers so I guess he changed them out for some reason. I can't tell much from the pic, but it looks to have Fox Rear R on the back. Can you tell from the pics?

Here are some pics of it. I haven't seen it yet. It was shipped on Friday from WA so hopefully it will get here around Wed or Thurs. I had it delivered directly to the local Specialized store down the street from me so we can look it over together. Anyway, here are some pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Value of a 2002 Enduro FSR Pro-2011-09-059513.40.25.jpg  

Value of a 2002 Enduro FSR Pro-2011-09-059513.41.47.jpg  

Value of a 2002 Enduro FSR Pro-2011-09-059513.42.02.jpg  

Value of a 2002 Enduro FSR Pro-2011-09-059513.43.24.jpg  

Value of a 2002 Enduro FSR Pro-2011-09-059513.47.24.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    UnicornzO,
    The front shocks on my bike appear to be Marzocchi Bombers so I guess he changed them out for some reason. I can't tell much from the pic, but it looks to have Fox Rear R on the back. Can you tell from the pics?

Here are some pics of it. I haven't seen it yet. It was shipped on Friday from WA so hopefully it will get here around Wed or Thurs. I had it delivered directly to the local Specialized store down the street from me so we can look it over together. Anyway, here are some pics:

Deathstalker74,
    It's a Fox Float R, I can see that in the pictures. The fork and shock are not OEM according to the Bikepedia page.

I'm not familiar with the Marzocchi Bombers. I really enjoy the ability to lock out my fork and rear suspension on climbs, it makes climbing easier, since pedaling energy is not wasted by suspension movement, IMHO.

Enjoy your bike, looks like you got a great deal. You can always upgrade your rear shock if you choose. It's not necessary at all.

Some will probably consider the Marzocchi Bombers, an uprgade over the Psylo SL.

P.S. Your bike is probably fine, but upon delivery check the frame for cracks especially around where the seat post goes into the frame (make sure the seat post is always inserted beyond the Seat Post Insertion Guide Hole), & other stress points.
    Also get it out on a trail ASAP, so you can test & contact the Seller immediately if there is any problem. Having it checked visually is fine but there is no substitute for a trail test.
    If you experience any popping noises, be concerned.

Ask an experienced Mountain Biker to listen & ride it on a trail too.

And of course you can post on these forums. They are invaluable.

Stay Vertical,
    Uni
    Last edited by Unicornz0; 09-10-2011 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Uni,
    Thanks for the great advice. The techs at the Specialized shop are going to rebuild it for me since it had to be partially dismantled for shipping. Once they rebuild it, I'll have them take a spin on it too perhaps so they can test it out as well - seeing how they know much more than me about this bike, MTBing, etc.

Hopefully, the seat post won't be an issue. As for the seat-stay, another poster here was nice enough to offer me one of his two back-ups - though they're red, so worst case scenario, at least I'll have a replacement part if Specialized says no.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You're welcome. This is what the forum is all about.
    Here's a link to the manual for the rear shock:

http://www.birota.ru/manuals/foxflow...al-english.pdf

Happy Trails,
    Uni

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did some 2002 Enduros come with Marzocchi front shocks instead of the Fox shocks? I found two links that appear to have brand new Enduros fitted with Bombers. Any thoughts?

Spearman Cycles

Specialized FSR Enduro

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Did some 2002 Enduros come with Marzocchi front shocks instead of the Fox shocks? I found two links that appear to have brand new Enduros fitted with Bombers. Any thoughts?

Spearman Cycles

Specialized FSR Enduro
    Yes,

According to Bikepedia, amd the Galbraith Mt. bike review.

The 2002 Enduro Comp FSR
    BikePedia - 2002 Specialized Enduro Comp FSR Complete Bicycle

and the 2002 Enduro FSR
    BikePedia - 2002 Specialized Enduro FSR Complete Bicycle

Your frameset the 2002 Enduro FSR Pro
    had a Rockshox Psylo OEM
    BikePedia - 2002 Specialized Enduro Pro FSR Complete Bicycle

Looks like your bike has Hayes Mag Disc Brake calipers too, not OEM for 2002 Enduro FSR Pro.
    I have the Hayes Mag disc brake caliper, levers, rotors, & I love mine.

After you have rode you bike let me know how awesome it is.
    I think you will be very happy with it.

Uni

P.S. Your Seat Post Is Too Long.LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BUMP AGAINST YOUR REAR SHOCK. You should raise it substantially (or cut it with a plumbers pipe cutting tool), while making certain it is inserted below The Seat Post Insertion Guide Hole (see the link to the manual in a previous post see page 6 & 7 in the manual).

In the attached picture notice how much of the seat post is protruding from the frame & compare to the picture of your seat post & frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Value of a 2002 Enduro FSR Pro-left-rear-triangle-.jpg  

Last edited by Unicornz0; 09-13-2011 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Uni,
    Is it normal for seat posts to come this long? Is it standard procedure to cut them down? I've never ridden a bike with disc breaks so I'm looking forward to this too. I'll definitely let you know how it rides.

You're bike looks to be in excellent condition. Do you have any other pics of it I could check out for comparison?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Uni,
    Is it normal for seat posts to come this long? Is it standard procedure to cut them down? I've never ridden a bike with disc breaks so I'm looking forward to this too. I'll definitely let you know how it rides.

You're bike looks to be in excellent condition. Do you have any other pics of it I could check out for comparison?
    Yes, it's normal. and it's standard procedure to cut them if they are too long, & are made from an alloy metal.I am not familiar with carbon fiber composite seat posts. You can have your bike shop do it. t takes about 2 minutes for the actual cut, But the height that you want your seat to be, & the remaining length of the seat post has to be considered & measured, so that there is enough of the seat post to remain in the frame past the "Seat Post Insertion Guide Hole ".

The picture of that yellow Enduro was just for illustration.

Here is a picture of my 2002 Eduro Pro FSR.

Do you have mountain bike trails near you, so that you can really see what your Enduro can do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Value of a 2002 Enduro FSR Pro-image-853-.jpg  

Last edited by Unicornz0; 09-13-2011 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Uni,
    It looks like the Hayes breaks that came with the bike will probably have to be replaced. They work right now but there is some movement in the lever and the guy who had them before glued a screw into the hydraulic fluid port used for draining.

I thought about trying to find another lever the guy at the LBS said it's borderline impossible to find and that bleeding these type of breaks is a *****. He recommended converting the Hayes to Avid BB7 mechanic disc breaks.

I wasn't sold early on but it does seem that the mechanic breaks have less maintenance than the hydraulics. The BB7's are also much more affordable than a new set of hydraulics. What do you think of the idea of switching over to mechanic discs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Uni,
    It looks like the Hayes breaks that came with the bike will probably have to be replaced. They work right now but there is some movement in the lever and the guy who had them before glued a screw into the hydraulic fluid port used for draining.

I thought about trying to find another lever the guy at the LBS said it's borderline impossible to find and that bleeding these type of breaks is a *****. He recommended converting the Hayes to Avid BB7 mechanic disc breaks.

I wasn't sold early on but it does seem that the mechanic breaks have less maintenance than the hydraulics. The BB7's are also much more affordable than a new set of hydraulics. What do you think of the idea of switching over to mechanic discs?
    I prefer the Hayes Hydraulics.

I think you should call Hayes, they may be able to supply you with another screw, or tell you which size you need, & technical advice. Then there will be the task of removing the glued in screw. Maybe your mechanic can help you with that.

Email: hayestech@hayesbrake.com
    Phone:1.888.MTN.DISC, (1.888.686.3472)
    Fax: (262) 512.4219
    Hayes Disc Brake

I see the Hayes Mag. & other Hayes models on eBay frequently. As of this writing:
    hayes disc brakes | eBay

From what little I know about the mechanicals, they require less maintenance, but then they are less of a brake too, something about the mechanical advantage being the same as V-brakes.

See the section on disc brakes:

Brakes from Skid Pads to V-brakes by Jobst Brandt

I've bled mine once when I mistakenly loosened the wrong screw on the caliper (Hayes Mags, the ones I have, use real brake fluid, not mineral oil like some other brands. I put my trust in them, even my life).
    Bleeding them was involved, but not too bad, and the manual is on the Hayes site with step by step instructions.
    I wouldn't trade mine for any others.They stop on a dime, in all kinds of weather, parts are readily available, you can reach a live person at tech support, the calipers are easy to adjust. The new pads do have a short break in period, about 8 stops or less, and they will lock up so tight that one can come to an abrupt stop & be thrown over the front wheel if the brakes are locked up at speed (this mechanical advantage comes in handy when you need quick a quick light tap on the brakes to slow down fast to avoid something nasty on the trail). The pads must be broken in properly or the stopping power will be compromised (when braking them in be careful or they can lock up expectantly and one can be severely injured).

Remember, the guy at the LBS probably wants to sell you something, after all that's how he makes his living. You only need to replace the one lever, if it can't be repaired.

I think part of the fun of mtn biking is maintaining your own bike. Additionally you will know how everything works. Most things you can fix yourself, with help from the forum & other online resources. Hopefully your bike mechanic is really an enthusiast, & doesn't mind letting you watch & learn, if not look for one that is, and will let you watch and learn. Also, I think you'll save money in the long run even though you may have to buy a bike stand & tools. It seems like the bike shops are charging high prices, like when I take my car to the dealership.

Reviews:

Hayes HFX Mag XC Disc Brake System Reviews

Gravity Assisted Mountain Biking - An Extensive Review of the Hayes Hydraulic Disc Brakes

P.S. If this brake glued in screw was not disclosed I would request a partial refund form the seller to the tune of about $45.00. That is the price I paid for a spare set on eBay.

You may have to purchase a set to get the one that you need, if you decide to replace with a Hayes lever.

Before contacting the Seller, have list of all the undisclosed defects, if any, so that you only have to negotiate a settlement once.

Please keep me informed.

Stay Vertical,
    Uni
    Last edited by Unicornz0; 09-15-2011 at 06:22 PM.

dirt visionary
    For the retail price of bb7's you can get some hydros on ebay .

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Uni,
    Does this look like our Hayes lever? I kind of recall mine looking an awful lot like this one) My bike's still down at the LBS and I couldn't find a part number on the Hayes break set that came with the Enduro 2002. If this is the correct lever, I guess I'll have to make sure it's the right one (I believe it's the right one that had been glued closed). If this is the one, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than purchasing an entirely new set of Avid's for $120 +

Uni, also do you happen to know if I can put different Hayes levers on my original system and discard the original Hayes levers? I asked the tech but he said something along the lines of the new levers pushing too mush pressure though the lines. I'll definitely call Hayes tomorrow and see what they say too.

Hayes Disc Brake (Post Mount with IS Mounts) Front or Rear | eBay
    Last edited by Deathstalker74; 09-15-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast