Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

UPS dropped my bike, can this be fixed?

I recently bought a used 2011 StumpJumper FSR Elite 26er and during the delivery process UPS apparently dropped the box and when I opened it up, I noticed that the headset was missing. Kept looking and I found the lower (integrated) bearing in the head tube still held by assembly lube. To my understanding, the shipper partially disassembled the bike, leaving the headset 'in' held by a tie wrap.

The box fell in the head tube side, ripping the tie wrap, losing the headset and denting the head tube which now prevents a bearing from fitting in there.

The box:

The dented head tube with the bearing near it:

I think I can file off some very little metal on the inside of the head tube to allow another bearing to enter but what do you guys think? I trust myself with doing the job but wanted to get some opinions first. Maybe bike shops have special tools to press out that area, idk.

banned
    Jan 2013
    File a claim it's hosed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I did however the seller only insured it up to $900, a new frame is more than that. I live in the boonies and I don't think the bicycle mechanics around here are as experienced as in other parts... I would like to personally take it to a mechanic to have it looked but UPS already picked up the bike and sent it back to the shipper. Gotta wait now.

I called Specialized and all they told me was to take it to my Spesh Autho LBS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A machinist might be able to fix. But yeah its messed up. Put in claim. Honestly it could also been hosed from person that sold it to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I doubt that the seller did this.
    1; I don't see how this dent would have happened in a crash. 2; the bike could have been dropped by the shipper (a LBS from the seller) but it wouldn't explain how the rest of the headset is missing which leaves me to believe that UPS messed it up. The tie wrap that was around the head tube holding the headset was still in the box (just in there on the bottom of the box) but the bearings (I think because they're heavier and small) fell outta the box.

When you guys say "hosed" I assume you mean 'messed up', right?

I'm really bummed. I paid for a bike which when it left was rideable and it arrived like this. I couldn't (obviously) build it back together so I took it completely apart and cleaned every little hole/place on it. Gotta have something to do. Btw, the seller is willing to buy me a new headset but if course that still depends on if the damage can be fixed. As for the outside (visible damage once everything's put back together) I don't really care, it's just cosmetic.

On wuss patrol
    I say if you get the bike back and the head tube can't be straightened, I'd file the outer edge of the top headset bearing so it fits inside the dent. The hardened steel assembly will hold up fine and the bearing will still spin smoothly.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Wow that sucks, I would get your money back from the seller.

The last bike I got, the seller forgot to put the thru axles in the box..... its really a gamble when you buy a bike online and have it shipped.
    2013 Transition TransAM
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Docta2002 View Post
    I did however the seller only insured it up to $900, a new frame is more than that. I live in the boonies and I don't think the bicycle mechanics around here are as experienced as in other parts... I would like to personally take it to a mechanic to have it looked but UPS already picked up the bike and sent it back to the shipper. Gotta wait now.

I called Specialized and all they told me was to take it to my Spesh Autho LBS
    I've never filed a claim through UPS, so i'm not sure of the process.. However, see if UPS will let you keep the parts and return the frame and make the claim... Then buy a used frame with the insurance money . I'm guessing you can find a used frame for under $900 (probably even an upgrade to a carbon frame for about that).

mtbr member
    As per UPS, they'll deal with the seller during the claims process. As buyer, you're not involved aside from reporting and documenting the damage:
    https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...e_process.html

I don't know what country we're talking about, nor do I know what service/site you used to purchase, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to source a used frame. There is significant onus on the seller.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It's in the US.

The seller offered and is willing to buy me a new headset but this would only happen if the frame can be repaired. I purchased the bike via PayPal so I'm not worried at all if things go downhill cause I'm covered but I want the bike after all. The bike arrived to me this past Tuesday, it left from my house on Friday and it's still in transit to Michigan.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    That was a combination of shoddy packing(seller) and hasty package handling(UPS). Get ready to whip out your Pay Pal buyer protection......and get all your money back.

I would NOT accept the package at all....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    That was a combination of shoddy packing(seller) and hasty package handling(UPS). Get ready to whip out your Pay Pal buyer protection......and get all your money back.

I would NOT accept the package at all....
    Agree with this 100%. If the frame was packaged well, it would have been more protected during a drop. Whenever I pack a frame or a bike, I make sure to go overkill in the packaging because of situations like this. A new headset won't fix the problem and paying a machinist would just be a lot more money out of pocket for you. If you file the headset bearing that means you still have a dented frame...personally, I wouldn't like the idea of that. If that package arrived to me in that condition, I would refuse it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Unless there was 2 inches of padding separating the bike from the box, UPS will probably deny the claim after inspecting. I've dealt a lot with them over the years, and if the shipper didn't pack it extremely well, they will easily deny the claim based on their packaging guidelines.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Owen, I wouldn't file the bearing, if I were to do anything it would be filling where the bearing sits in the frame, I'd file the actual frame.

Still waiting on UPS...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I wouldn't file the frame, I'd just get your money back. Filing the frame where the bearing sits would make the wall thinner, and might jeopardize the integrity at that spot. I wouldn't take the chance if you can easily get your money back.

mtbr member
    Seller's fault on a couple of counts. like mentioned above, packaging #1 and 2# he should have insured it for full value. I hope you get all of your funds back..

mtbr member
    There is an overwhelming tendency to place blame directly upon the employees by using words like dropped, which connote mishandling by an individual.

Most damaged cartons are the result of being pushed off belts or bent and crushed by other packages in transitions (slides, chutes, turns).

Bike boxes, even from the mfg, are some of the worst at protecting their contents. Most of the padding in these boxes serves to protect the finish from scratching by things in the box. Large areas of these carton have zero internal support, making them candidates for binding in transistions. These types of packages cause jams which result in packages on the floor, or crushed.

Less than $10 worth of foam padding and cardboard re-enforcement could have prevented this, but ain't nobody got time for that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    UPS has determined it was not the shippers fault, now they will cover the repair (of possible) or replace it. I don't believe they'll give me a '15 or '14 frame, most likely they'll write a check if it goes that way. Let's see.

This is how I partially boxed it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have successfully repaired similar damage that was even worse than this. I started by hammering the dent out as much as possible with a ball hammer. Next time I would try an exhaust pipe expander first. Then I finished by scraping the inside of the dent with the edge of a chisel until the bearing fit. A Dremel tool would get it done faster.

I covered the paint damage with a piece of pinstripe tape, and have been riding it happily for a few years now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That's what i was thinking of doing, hammering it out a bit then finishing it off with the Dremel and a sanding stone (to take a little at a time vs the carbide cutters that take allot off quickly) and finally finish it off by hand with 400/600 grit.

Let's see, the frame will arrive tomorrow back at the bike shop who packed it then the seller has to go get it and take it to get looked over elsewhere or right there and.... I should have an answer by Friday.

mtbr member
    If you choose to repair, I wouldn't use an exhaust expander. They are brute force tools that don't expand the pipe evenly, but no one cares because the pipes form to each other when you put them together. A bike head tube need to remain concentric to prevent premature wear or damage to the bearings.

If you pound on it with a ball peen, you will dent the aluminum as much as force it back into position. It's better to push through a piece of pipe with a matching O.D. with some grease, or lacking that, insert the closest pipe you can find, secure it with whatever fits exactly opposite the dent, then hammer against the pipe rather than the aluminum.

Once done, side pipe, or wooden dowel of nearly matching size and some 400 or higher sandpaper to removing remaining material without removing more than is required, as will happen with a dremel or other grinding tool.

Then re-harden...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    "Re-harden"?

mtbr member
    To harden again, or re-temper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That's what I thought but that's beyond my skills... I have no idea what this alloy is made of nor do I know the specific method to re-harden it, it's probably not as simple as heating it up.... I would only trust Specialized to do this but I don't even know if they provide this kinda service.

mtbr member
    Yeah, well, I was being a bit facetious. That dent actually cold-worked the tube, which increases temper. You'd have to anneal the whole frame before tempering, and while there are shops that will do it, you don't really need it. You just need to be careful. Don't strike hard, don't bend in the opposite direction, don't out of round the tube.

I'd get some 6061 tubing, 0.25" thick, that fits inside the head tube to protect it by clamping it in a vise and hanging the bike on it. A small piece of the same tube, with about 2-3 of the circle removed would be good to hammer against (with a length of rod).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast