mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Upgrading shifters to XT or XTR

Hi,
    In a few days now I will get a new Stumpy fsr expert :-) and I would like to do some changes.
    The shifter the Stumpy has is Shimano LX and I'm planning to upgrade it to an XT shifter(with an XT front Derailleur) for 40$ or and XTR set for 100$.
    1. Is it worth the extra $$$ for XTR?
    (The shifters are not Dual control).
    Are there any more crucial upgrades you think I should make?
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    Jo

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    Hi,
    In a few days now I will get a new Stumpy fsr expert :-) and I would like to do some changes.
    The shifter the Stumpy has is Shimano LX and I'm planning to upgrade it to an XT shifter(with an XT front Derailleur) for 40$ or and XTR set for 100$.
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    Jo
    LX to XT for shifters is not a worthwhile upgrade. LX is good enough if you ask me. I don't know about the XTR shifters, but if you want to cough up the cash, go for it, although I doubt you'll notice a difference. XTR FD is just plain overpriced and you get less bang for the buck compared to XT. You probably won't be able to tell the difference. Good call for the dual control, they are such a pain to deal with. If you are upgrading from a DEORE, then I guess it is worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks,
    I think I will take your advise and stick with the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    LX to XT for shifters is not a worthwhile upgrade. LX is good enough if you ask me. I don't know about the XTR shifters, but if you want to cough up the cash, go for it, although I doubt you'll notice a difference. XTR FD is just plain overpriced and you get less bang for the buck compared to XT. You probably won't be able to tell the difference. Good call for the dual control, they are such a pain to deal with. If you are upgrading from a DEORE, then I guess it is worth it.

mtbr member

Choice?

The choice is yours to make but for $40 to upgrade to XT front Der. & shifters should be a no brainer and do it. If you ride it for a few months and then decide to just replace the front der. it will cost around $35.
    XTR seems to be over priced unless you are racing and/or need the best & lightest.
    XT in my opinion is trouble free, long lasting, stuff worthy of an upgrade consideration on any bike you plan on using for years and years.
    Ride hard & fast!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

05 or 06 Expert?

Are you talking about an 05 or 06 Expert? On a 05 You need to spend your money on a crankset upgrade. The LX shifters are fine. Also the LX cassette is an ancor. Remember if you are trying to lighten up a bike do it to things that spin first.

2005 Expert with Crossmax SLs, Tubeless Hutchinson Spiders, Xt 11-32 cassette, Crankset ordered
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Agreeing with most of what already was said...

I have the LX stuff & been using it for over a year now on my '04 expert...and it has NEVER missed a tick, let me down, etx. If you are looking to u-g & you are buying an '05 w/ the septune, send it off to push industries...read some of the prior posts re: push'ing your shock/fork-it seems to be a huge increase in performance.

Have fun w/ your new ride!

John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi,
    The Stumpy I'm buying 2 days from today is an expert 06 with XT Hollowtech II crankset which is great I reckond. The only upgrades I thought of are the front Derailleur and the shifters which are LX on stock and maybe the Mavic XM317 disc rims.
    The upgrades are cheaper replaced in the store.
    What do you say?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ....the main reason for the upgrading to XT shifters is the super performance of the XT shifters I have on my old Raven 2000 Cannondale for 7 years now.

mtbr member

About shifters

The difference between shifters is that while LX uses bushings, XT uses bearings and XTR dual bearings for smoother function. They might feel almost the same when new, but the difference is noticeable when you have used them a season or two. My friend's 3-year-old XTR pods shift better than brand-new Deores.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

go the xt

I've always found that the step up to XT over LX is noticeable in terms of performance and well worth it. my stumpy came stock with an XTR rear derail. and while it shifted flawlessly, the peformance difference between it and an XT is not worth the extra dollars IMHO (unless u got cash to burn). of course now i run sram, but thats a whole other kettle of fish....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wink

Thank you all my friend riders,
    I know you can win or fall with every thing you decide of buying.
    Summing up your answers I decided to order the XT shifters and front del. for an extra of
    43$.
    Thanks again mates for hte help.
    Jo

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

good choice mate...

and good luck with the new beast, a friend has just got a 120 pro and its absolutely wicked, i'm ridiculously jealous! let us kwow how you find it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whippet
    and good luck with the new beast, a friend has just got a 120 pro and its absolutely wicked, i'm ridiculously jealous! let us kwow how you find it...

Thanks mate,
    I promiss I will.

K n e e m o i
    Sorry, I guess I was wrong about the shifters. I looked it up. I didn't know LX and XT shifters were that different. Didn't mean to throw you off. So yeah, I guess XT shifters are a worthwhile upgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whippet
    Hey whippet, next time you are out with your friend on the new Stumpy Pro can you check how much bob there is with the brain on 'firm' setting? Also is there really a significant difference between 'firm' and 'soft' with his bike.

Is there any squelching in the initial travel? Any un-damped play?

I would be very interested to compare with my bike because I'm not convinced my shock/brain is working properly. My 'firm' setting is about the same as a mate's fully active float with the same air pressure in it.

Would really appreciate some feedback on this.

banned
    Apr 2004

Stick with the LX until the get hammered.

Hi,
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    Jo
    LX is really good off road worthy stuff but when it comes time to upgrade I'd go with the XTR.
    I had XT triggers for about 3 years and half a dozen crashes, when my hands got really fatigued from hard braking the paddles were a little hard to push, I switched to XTR reiggers and noticed they were easier to shift and slightley smoother.

Bike to the Bone...
    Hi,
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    Jo
    Although everything have been said before, I would stick with what you have and wait to see how it works. I had Deore shifters and LX front deraileur in my Stump FSR 04 and they work fine. They didn't at first, but when I went to a good LBS the mechanic left them pretty well setup and I don't have ghost shifting.

Now I have on another bike Hone dual control and XT front der and I love that setup also. I think that dual controls are awesome when you get used to them, although that's a personal prefernce.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Which XTR shifters are compatible with the 05 Stumpjumper FSR 120 expert?

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Although everything have been said before, I would stick with what you have and wait to see how it works. I had Deore shifters and LX front deraileur in my Stump FSR 04 and they work fine. They didn't at first, but when I went to a good LBS the mechanic left them pretty well setup and I don't have ghost shifting.

Now I have on another bike Hone dual control and XT front der and I love that setup also. I think that dual controls are awesome when you get used to them, although that's a personal prefernce.
    Which XTR shifters are compatible with the 05 Stumpjumper FSR 120 expert?

SALLGUD

I'll take XTR

I just test rode an '06 SJ FSR Expert Monday at Outspokin' Bikes in Woodstock, GA, and will purchase the bike within two weeks. Nice bike, very well appointed. With that said, the ONLY thing I 100% will change is the shifter pods. I have been using XTR on my Yeti 575, and XT on my Turner Burner, and I like the XTR. Silky shifting. The LX will go on eBay.

If you are asking yourself if it is worth it between XT and XTR, then the answer is probably no. The XT shifters are stout and work extremely well, and you will be hard pressed to wear them out or bust them. If you want that extra touch of silkiness and want to match the rear derailleur (just for S and G), then get the XTR.

Michael

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thank you all my friend riders,
    Summing up your answers I decided to order the XT shifters and front del. for an extra of
    43$.

Jo
    Jo, where do you get the XT shifters and front der for 43$? Or is that in exchange for your old parts?

I have a 05 Stumpy FSR comp and I think the upgrades I "need" are:
    - shifters from Deore to XT (throw for the thumbshifts seems long and levers flex)
    - front der from LX to XT (some chainsuck , see below)
    - crankset to XT Hollowtech II. Note sure what the current level is. I think it flexes too much and the front der rubs on the chainrings. And I have occasional chainsuck. I promised that one to myself when I can make that 900ft 10% grade close to my home - I'm new to MTB'in and that's a major effort for me right now.

Is that a good plan?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

better bang for the buck: XTR RD

I would rather change the rear derailleur to an XTR which is exactly what i did. My stumpy now has the full xtr groupset but I changed it a piece at a time. The most difference in performance in my experience was the change from LX rapid rise RD to the XTR rapid rise RD.

I found out later as I replaced the FD to XTRs, hardly any difference from the LX and the Dual shifters, also from LX to XTR, well actually slightly more refined in the shifting but all in all not much in performance.

Another big improvement was the crankset LX to XTR, less flex.

I sometimes compete in races so my idea for all the change was really for the weight reductions.