Silence! I kill you!

Upgrading to a new bike from my '04 Enduro

I currently have an '04 Enduro, and I have the chance to get a new '15 Specialized bike. I'm looking at getting either a new Enduro or possibly a Stumpy FSR. I've done a handful of MTB rides the past 5 years or so and am now getting back into it. I probably won't be getting the bike til mid spring so I've got time to figure out exactly what I want.

My current Enduro currently has a Pike fork on it, so I'm used to riding with 140mm travel front & 130mm in the back. There are times I do wish I had a little extra travel front & back. I'm a rider who tends to have the wheels to the ground, though I will hit a jump every now and then. I also enjoy a good long steep climb on some days, and on others I like to fly down the single track.

I'm leaning towards an Enduro, but I'm just nervous about only having the one chainring in the front for those long climbs. The Stumpy I know I wouldn't have a problem with it.

In terms of 650b vs 29 wheel sizes, I think I could go either way and be happy. I think I would like the size that allows me to climb well and gives me a little extra insurance/stability on the downhills.

For my old Enduro? Since everything works just fine on it I'll probably keep it and use it for my rides where I concentrate on climbing, while using the new bike for my all around/fun rides.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you're waiting until mid-Spring to buy a bike...I would recommend pushing that back to Summer/Fall and getting a 2016 bike if they do a re-design on any of them...especially since you currently have a bike to ride. The Stumpy Evo sounds right up your alley based on the riding it sounds like you're doing. It's certainly no slouch on the ups or downs...and it's even better if you can swing one of the models that come with the new Pike.

If you opted for the Enduro, it comes stock with the new Pike even at the base level and a 1x drivetrain isn't so bad. If you needed a bit of an extra granny gear you could do a OneUp 42t conversion or something similar. I do recommend riding one if you can...that way you can get a feel for the 1x drivetrain and the bike as a whole.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Whatever bike you decide on you'll want to go with the 1x setup. I picked up the Enduro elite 650b recently with the 1x11 drivetrain. I swapped to a 30 tooth chainring and the granny gear is really close to the 3x10 on my old trance, and I only top out on screaming fast fire roads. From one monkey to another, the single chainring setup is legit. The grears are there, smooth and quiet shifting, and no dropped chains.

Silence! I kill you!
    Weird, my reply from yesterday didn't go through.

As of now I'm looking at getting an Enduro. I've got a friend who is buying it for me in as payment in a trade for services agreement. I'm pretty sure it'll be a 2015 model. In terms of wheel sizes, I've been reading up and am leaning towards a 29er version. I figure I'll use the new one for the crazy downhill/easy climbs or trails that don't have huge steep climbs. Normally I ride in the middle ring anyways.

Days I feel like being a mountain goat and riding for long periods of time climbing I'll just hop on my '04 version. Then I got the best of both worlds.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography