mtbr member
    May 2012

Upgrading fox triad on 2010 SJ FSR 29 help

I have a 2010 SJ FSR Comp 29 with the triad. I want a fox shock with the CTD technology. Due to the way they mount, these shocks seem to be specially made for spesh. I cant buy a shock off the shelf directly through Fox. My LBS/Spesh dealer isn't being much help. They seem reluctant to do anything that changes the travel or geometry of the bike, I'm assuming because of liability issues. The triad is 7.875x1.8. The shock on this years model with CTD mode is listed as 194mm X 48mm which converts to 7.64x1.9. I'm assuming this isn't a direct swap. I've upgraded everything else on this bike and really want to get rid of the triad. I've already upgraded the 120mm Reba to a 140mm fox up front. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    The 2010-2014 shocks all mount up the same way. Going with a shorter shock is going to drop the bottom bracket and slacken the head angle slightly. The slightly longer stroke will add a little travel (4-5mm) but you should have plenty of clearance for that.

Basically swapping to the newer CTD will match the 140 fork a lot better and give you a little lower bb height. It will give you very similar geometry to the Evo model since you already have a 140 fork.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Techs at spesh told two different dealers that it wouldn't work. Like I said above I think they are reluctant to recommend any parts swap they haven't tested for liability reasons. Everything you said makes sense to me. Just to clarify....you did see I'm speaking of the 29 not the 26. So basically I ask them to order the exact shock that comes stock on the 2014 SJ FSR Comp 29?

mtbr member
    Spesh told me the same thign when I asked for a 2011 Evo shock for my 2011 Elite. It worked fine and it fits fine on my 2013.

I saw you had a 29er, so thats why I didnt recommend the shock from the 26". It has slightly longer stroke and you may contact the frame.

I'd go for the 13 or 14 Evo 29er shock.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks like this years comp and comp evo have the same shock. 194mm X 48mm

mtbr member
    That's right. The travel difference on the 12/13/14 Evo is due to the different link. It looks like the Evo Comp and regualr comp use identical shocks.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks. I'm going to go with it and see how it works.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok. I just ordered the shock from the '13 comp. $300. Of course they told me it would void my warranty which I assumed. They also said I couldn't return it if it didn't work since I'm going outside of their recommendations. So I am taking some risk here. I hope it works out. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it works out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The shock came in today and the install was a breeze. I took a quick spin around the neighborhood and I don't see any issues. Clearance seems fine. I plan to do the trail test tomorrow. Thanks Mr. Lynch. Your advice was dead on and a big help. I plan to post pics soon.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Glad to hear it worked! It will be a nice upgrade too. You will love the climb mode. It keeps the rear nice and high which helps keep the front end down, and the open and trail mode blow away the modes on the Triad.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I rode it on the trail today. I did like the climb mode, but I liked the descend even better. Especially matched with my CTD fork. It's a shame Specialized won't recommend this upgrade. So many people are unhappy with the triad. They must realize that based on the fact that even they went away from it on the newer models. They are the only one who sell the part so you would think they would have something to gain by selling it to people with the older model of bikes. My Stumpjumper is my favorite bike out of the 3 I own, but I would be hesitant to buy another knowing I have to deal with them to get a specially made shock that nobody else sells.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarion2 View Post
    I rode it on the trail today. I did like the climb mode, but I liked the descend even better. Especially matched with my CTD fork. It's a shame Specialized won't recommend this upgrade. So many people are unhappy with the triad. They must realize that based on the fact that even they went away from it on the newer models. They are the only one who sell the part so you would think they would have something to gain by selling it to people with the older model of bikes. My Stumpjumper is my favorite bike out of the 3 I own, but I would be hesitant to buy another knowing I have to deal with them to get a specially made shock that nobody else sells.
    This is what I try to point out on threads asking about Spedailized and usually get the "I don't care about the proprietary shock" response.

Several other manufactures have yokes similar to specialized, but those attach to a normal shock eye. There was no reason that Specialized had to make it proprietary.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I agree. It makes no sense. Its even worse that they had the answer to my problem sitting in a warehouse but refuse to say it works. I usually buy low end bikes and upgrade over the course of a few years. It costs me a little more in the long run, but it allows me to spread the cost out instead of dropping 5 or 6 grand off the bat. Most manufacturers offer low end bikes that are nearly as cheap as buying a frame only. I like to know I can upgrade the bikes I buy without jumping through hoops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    They told me the same thing, I told my Lbs to just order me a CTD rear shock after 3 brain failures. He said they will give you a triad and I said the brain cost alot more than the triad why would I want to down grade. My Gold color 2011 29er is now fitted with a Talas 34 140 Ctd and rear Float Ctd shock to match it.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I blew the Triad on my 2010 FSR Comp 29er yesterday. I'm still running the stock Reba up front. I'm looking at sending the Triad to PUSH, or going the CTD route as listed above, but I don't know the trade-offs or risks.

I see that the OP had changed his front fork to 140mm travel. Would the stock 120mm fork cause any issues running the CTD? How good is the PUSH rebuild? I'd rather not throw $200 at fixing the Triad if there are better options for a little more money.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John.M View Post
    I blew the Triad on my 2010 FSR Comp 29er yesterday. I'm still running the stock Reba up front. I'm looking at sending the Triad to PUSH, or going the CTD route as listed above, but I don't know the trade-offs or risks.

I see that the OP had changed his front fork to 140mm travel. Would the stock 120mm fork cause any issues running the CTD? How good is the PUSH rebuild? I'd rather not throw $200 at fixing the Triad if there are better options for a little more money.

Thanks!
    Keep in mind Push can only rebuild the Triad, because of the design they can't do any tunes it and that's the whole point of sending a shock to Push.

What does the travel of the fork have to do with what rear shock you get?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Keep in mind Push can only rebuild the Triad, because of the design they can't do any tunes it and that's the whole point of sending a shock to Push.

What does the travel of the fork have to do with what rear shock you get?
    Got it - thanks for clarifying what I would get by sending it to PUSH.

I'm a noob when it comes to understanding geometry on full suspensions. I was trying to follow the logic that Mr Lynch laid out in some information he provided above where he made reference to a fork that had been swapped out to 140mm travel (stock comes with 120mm). I believe it had something to do with matching the fork to the CTD rear shock.

I'm a big guy (245lbs geared up on the trail). I ride almost 100% XC.