mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Upgrading a 1996 Stumpjumper #1001

OK, here's the deal:

My steel frame's off to a framebuilder for its second respray and to have a brake-lever induced dent taken out of the top tube. While it's away, I want to look at upgrading some bits and pieces.

Current spec is:

1998 Manitou SXR 70mm travel fork (upgrade from rigid)
    2005 XT / Mavic XC717 non disc wheels
    1996 8 speed XT STIs
    1996 LX front, XT rear mechs
    1998 Strongarm S Works chainset (42/32/22)
    1998 XT V brakes
    1998 A1 120mm stem
    2001 Easton EA70 flat bar
    2002 USE XCR Shockpost
    1996 Flite saddle
    1998 M636 platform SPuDs

As the frame's canti only, I don't plan to move to discs. I'm also happy with 8 speed, as by the time I get to the big 28 cog, it's almost time to get off and walk anyway. However, a 44 tooth chainring would be nice but the Strongarm takes Sugino rings (which are upside down and as soft as putty). I'd also like a light, plush fork with lockout. I'm not getting younger or lighter so a wider and more upright cockpit position would be nice. Also, while it's not a problem generally, the Flite is becoming a pain in the bum on day rides. I don't know whether this is due to the fact that it's wearing out or the fact that I'm 28 pounds heavier than when I bought it. (I have my suspicions). Breaking my ribs last year has persuaded me to use flat pedals rather than SPuDs on trails that I'm unfamiliar with.

What I'm thinking of is:

RockShox Reba Team, converted to 85mm travel
    FSA V Drive MegaoExo chainset
    New XT mechs
    RaceFace Deus 110mm stem
    RaceFace Deus XC riser bar
    Flite Gel saddle
    DMR V12 pedals

The fork I've chosen because of the 458mm axle to crown height. Only the SID comes shorter in this category and that's too flexy for my 80kg heft. Also, it means that I can convert it back to 100mm if I swap it to another frame for any reason.

I can buy the FSA chainset for roughly the same price as a new set of rings and a bootom bracket.

I'm hoping that the front mech can be tweaked enough to handle an 8 speed setup.

The 120mm stem was always a bit stretched so I'm hoping that a 110mm and a riser should be enough. Or should I go for a 100mm?

Anyone got any thoughts? I must admit that sometimes I've wondered whether it would have been better to go retro and and stich the rigids back on! I must admit that a new bike wouldn't be that more expensive but then a) it wouldn't be bespoke and b) I'd miss that frame!

Adobo Lover
    At this time I'm running 110 on the stem and Easton riser and I feel fine on my M2 FS Stumpy 95. I am curious of going a little shorter to 100. I have a 2000 SID XC on mine now. The only fit problem I have is the top caps of each leg contacts the downtube cables(no housing). It catches with extreme turning. No problems when riding though. I'm still running the original 8 speed drivetrain and shifters. They are still going strong.

ballbuster

I like my Reba

... but I wouldn't bother with the 'Team' version. The only difference is the crown is scalloped more to save a few grams.... and it is only like 30 or 40g, and $100 more, IIRC. I have the 'Race' version and it is great. No complaints, other than the frequent service they recommend. It's nice and stiff and plush. The Dual Air version can be tuned six ways from sunday, and the PopLoc is great for out of saddle hammering.

Also, if you can get your hands on a WTB saddle on that side of the pond, they are worth checking out. Plenty comfy, and some versions are still pretty light. I've also had good luck with Specialized saddles. I found a couple at a swap meet for cheap, and have them on my race bike and SS.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-16-2006 at 11:35 AM.