mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Upgrades that are worth it/needed?!

I have owned the 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er for about 3 months now and have loved it thus far besides small part durability, I want to upgrade my now twisted up rims and my saddle along with front fork for now. From what I have read my Shimano Deore Shadow derailleurs can handle my riding, and I have replaced my already broken chain rings, along with my broken pedals to crankbrothers acid at home and mallet c for new places i dont trust myself on.

NEW PART OPINIONS
    I have SUNringle Charger Expert wheelset in mind for new rims, Manitou Tower Pro fork and WTB Rocket V saddle. Thoughts on these and possible others please?!!?

(needed info:I can get all these almost half-off through a promo website at work)
    ( I am also 6'2" and 200lbs)
    Last edited by RambunctiousBiker; 08-07-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    You are looking in good directions for upgrades

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Upgrades that are worth it/needed?!

I own a Specialized Hardrock Disc 29. In my understanding, this is the lowest end Specialized with 29" tires.

But coming from a Wal-Mart bike like me, I find every component on this bike sufficient for me at the moment. Could it be my weight? I'm 5'7" high and weighs 135 pounds.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I killed several of the stock parts within the first year of riding, but weigh 220.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What aftermarket parts did you upgrade too? I'm still deciding, mainly hoping the local bike shop is straight and helpful with suggestions

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Broke the lockout on the stock SR Suntour fork, so picked up a barely used Rockshox Reba. I broke two X4 rear derailleurs, so replaced it with X7(and shifters) and also dropped the front derailleur. Ditched the stock pedals for Welgo MG1s. Ditched the wheels after taco'ing the front on several occasions, went with Stans Flows w/ZTR hubs. Broke the seat, swapped it to the Phenom.

Replaced pretty much everything else as well, just didn't wait for it to break.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah thanks to ebay I am now upgrading the Shimano Acera fd and Deore Shadow rd derailluers to Shimano XTR m985 fd and m980 shadow rd with new crankset ups on the lookout lol and shifters once i can afford that.

mtbr member
    Never had a complaint with Sunringle wheels.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest