Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrade suggestions

607 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Stumpy_Steve 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

This is my first post, what an excellent forum!

I've got an 05' Stumpy 120 Expert, medium frame, bone stock. I've been working out and dieting and now it's time for my bike to loose some weight too. Unfortunetly I do have to watch my spending (don't we all) so price is an issue. What would you guys/girls recommend I should start with? What brands?

Thanks, :thumbsup:

Ivan

#3 ·
wheelhot said:
Wheels!! Wheels!! you can easily drop 1kg - 500g by wheelset, tubes/no tubes, tyres :D
Second that!! Its a no-brainner- It'll make the bike feel faster, lighter &handle much better! Brands?!? difficult to know where to start- You've first got to tell us your intended rides for the bike- this really means how light are you happy to go...

Tires are personnal preferance, but once again, if you describe your rides well enough then I'm sure you'll get loads of recommendations!:thumbsup:

#5 ·
mavic makes awesome ust rims, anything there is great. if you ride agressive and want a wheelset you can take to the next bike (probably in three years i own the same one) build a nice one. if not just get something that can take some abuse. if you are sick of adjusting the rear xtr derailer get an x9 by sram from pricepoint. get the x-7 shifters for this year, their last years x-9s. and cheaper. get rid of the headset and as soon as you can youll probably want to go to an integrated bottom bracket system. i got mavic 819s with chric king hubs, a chris king headset an x9 rear derailer, an lx crank with the IBB, and a specialized seat after wearing out four seats in two years. i run the UST tires because pinch flats are a beast here in AZ. no other upgrades yet, if i had the $$ new fork. if you go the ust route i would suggest staying with specialized tires. the roll x are great gor trail riding and the fast trax are great for racing and training. ive tried many other tires and they didnt flaot my boat. all in all the best thing you can do is break something and upgrade. wheels were the first to go. but dont go all out unless you feel like spending some $$ a great wheelset can cost anywhere from 500 to 1000 bucks, but its worth it knowing your ride is flawless. cheap wheels create systematic problems. but money is an object so i suggest using this site to review some of the suggestions you get.

#7 ·
pwrtrainer said:
mavic makes awesome ust rims, anything there is great. if you ride agressive and want a wheelset you can take to the next bike (probably in three years i own the same one) build a nice one. if not just get something that can take some abuse. if you are sick of adjusting the rear xtr derailer get an x9 by sram from pricepoint. get the x-7 shifters for this year, their last years x-9s. and cheaper. get rid of the headset and as soon as you can youll probably want to go to an integrated bottom bracket system. i got mavic 819s with chric king hubs, a chris king headset an x9 rear derailer, an lx crank with the IBB, and a specialized seat after wearing out four seats in two years. i run the UST tires because pinch flats are a beast here in AZ. no other upgrades yet, if i had the $$ new fork. if you go the ust route i would suggest staying with specialized tires. the roll x are great gor trail riding and the fast trax are great for racing and training. ive tried many other tires and they didnt flaot my boat. all in all the best thing you can do is break something and upgrade. wheels were the first to go. but dont go all out unless you feel like spending some $$ a great wheelset can cost anywhere from 500 to 1000 bucks, but its worth it knowing your ride is flawless. cheap wheels create systematic problems. but money is an object so i suggest using this site to review some of the suggestions you get.
Excellent suggestions here. Thanks you very much. I'm assuming you have a Stumpy? Keep all the suggestions coming folks I appreciate them all.

Ivan

#8 ·
On my stumpy, I immidetly swapped out the stock wheels/tires for some Mavic UST 819's on King Hubs, and I love them. You can get them built online at several shops for around 600-700$, and they are SWEET! Roll fast, sound great, durable as hell, and they just look cool! Btw, you can also pick up some 06 Crossmax SL's online for 6-7 also. Although Id give my wheels more durability...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.