mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Upgrade to S-Works?

Hi,

Just wanted to know if it is worth upgrading from a 2012 Stumpy FSR Elite to 2013 S-Works Stumpy FSR? Is the ride any better in the S-Works? Is it worth the price?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmang View Post
    Hi,

Just wanted to know if it is worth upgrading from a 2012 Stumpy FSR Elite to 2013 S-Works Stumpy FSR? Is the ride any better in the S-Works? Is it worth the price?

Thanks...
    It really comes down to economics. It is a LOT more expensive. When I upgraded from an older FSR Pro with M4 frame material to an S-Works Carbon bike, yes, it was totally different. Night and day different. My S-Works feels way stiffer, it is in fact way lighter, and feels like I am getting more power down. My buddies told me I would baby it, and not use it much. I ride at least three days per week, and ride it hard. If you can really afford it, and you ride a lot to where it will not just sit, go for it. If it's tight money wise for you, I say pass. The price difference is massive and this is a bike for a real enthusiast whom plans to ride the piss out of it. For me at least, it was worth what I paid for mine, but mine is a 2008. I have zero desire for a replacement as this bike rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    It really comes down to economics. It is a LOT more expensive. When I upgraded from an older FSR Pro with M4 frame material to an S-Works Carbon bike, yes, it was totally different. Night and day different. My S-Works feels way stiffer, it is in fact way lighter, and feels like I am getting more power down. My buddies told me I would baby it, and not use it much. I ride at least three days per week, and ride it hard. If you can really afford it, and you ride a lot to where it will not just sit, go for it. If it's tight money wise for you, I say pass. The price difference is massive and this is a bike for a real enthusiast whom plans to ride the piss out of it. For me at least, it was worth what I paid for mine, but mine is a 2008. I have zero desire for a replacement as this bike rocks.
    I agree with all of this. I have a '10 Stumpy S-works and have no desire to upgrade, except possibly to a 2x10 drivetrain.

There is a BIG difference in the feel of carbon vs aluminum IMO.

mtbr member
    If you go S-Works frameset, then swap all your stuff over and sell your current frame it really isnt that much of a price jump and it will be a nice improvement in ride quality.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Ride quality is a big win of the carbon over alloy. That said I'd be hard picked to tell the difference between the "normal" (9m) carbon and the top SW (11m) stuff. Lighter? A little? Noticeable? Not so much. However the SW does give you more carbon (my SW Epic is all carbon). And that means something. Get the SW if you have the money but, for most people, the extra money could be better used on other things...

Another way of stating the same thing: For most people the best bang/buck would be to take the Comp Carbon model and put the SL Carbon wheels on it and save a lot of money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've got the 2013 Comp Carbon with 2013 SL wheels on it. It is one sweet ride. Super sweet looking as well. I personally think that it is the sharpest looking Epic in the lineup minus the black on black murdered out Sworks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A little OT, but you think a Stumpy S-works HT would stand up to abuse from a 265# ( and shrinking ) rider?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I know things are differant now, but in 2008 I went from a stumpy FSR Comp to a 2008 SW FSR stumpy the next year. Wow, what a differance. It has spoiled me and now I have 3 SW bikes in my garage with soon to ad another for my wife. When I got my first SW, I dropped 10 minutes off a 10 mile loop with in a week.

However, I tend to agree with some that the comp carbon models with SL carbon wheels may be the way to go. But I would miss the brain.

The cons, an SW bike is expensive to maintain. Once a year the brain has to be sent to specialized for service. And there is nothing on these bikes cheap to replace.

mtbr dismember

No contest

I went from a 2011 Expert to 2012 SW and the Expert feels and rides like a tank compared to the SW.