mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Upgrade Opinions

I have been riding an all stock 03 Hardrock comp for the past 5 years. Trying to decide if its time to start upgrading or trade in. Should I go ahead and get a Rockhopper and not waste my money on the hardrock? I ride about 80% trails and 20% pavement. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket go for the new bike. A new bike will make you go so much faster.

It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want disc brakes? Your old bike probably can't support them. Are you looking for suspension, more gears, lighter? What kind of things were you thinking of upgrading. It doesn't take much to cost the same as a new bike.

Oz
    mtbr member
    I agree about the new bike. I have an older Cannondale and started looking at upgrades and decided it just isn't worth it. Any suspension upgrade would cost at least a few hundred dollars, if you want to upgrade to disc brakes you will probably need new wheels, if your frame is disc compatible. The list could go on and on. If you can afford it, go for the new bike. That is what I am saving for. Good luck with your decision, keep us posted on what you decide.