Thread: upgrade or not

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

upgrade or not

I am a beginner and getting opinions. I moved out to Albuquerque from Florida, I can no longer surf and took up mountain biking to feel the void. Will say it more than takes up for it. I do have the bug and try to get out and ride atleast 4 or 5 times a week.
    I have a 2004 epic S-Works I got for a really good deal I have been riding this summer. I talked to a bike shop telling them I felt the front wheel was digging in on turns, asking them if its just learning to ride better or part of the bike. They explained to me that the epic was designed more for cross country rather then trail riding??? They also said its like a normal driver buying a ferrari and saying they cannot drive it like the pros, makes since to me from other sports where the best is not always good for the amateur.
    I demoed the Yeti sb95 yesterday and did not really think that it was for me. Some things were great others I enjoyed my bike better.
    So what I am asking is it better to just stay on my bike and learn to ride it better or go ahead and upgrade to a more trail riding style of bike?

If I stick with bike I have should I leave it alone and ride or is there anything I can do to make that bike better for the average trail riding style.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You are on the right track. You have a good ride. You did a test ride an noted some things you liked and did not like about the Yeti. Keep riding your bike and keep test riding other ones. When you are ready to buy a new one, it can be on your terms and with experience to know you are making a good choice.

The 2014s are going to be hitting the shops over the next couple months. So, go check out some of the newer rides.

Cycling is my love. I have tried to replace it with a bunch of other stuff. I hope it can fulfill your surfing void.