mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Upgrade my Rockhopper? Is it worth it?

I bought the base Rockhopper last year. Wasn't sure that I'd get back into biking this seriously so I decided against spending $2k on a bike. So far I have upgraded to BB7's and a set of Rinolites w/ Deore hubs. That's about it.
    My dilema... I've been thinking about getting a FS or just continuing to upgrade my Rockhoper w/ a better crank set, RD and fork (Recon or Reba). Is this frame worth the investment? I feel like I need a softer ride but I might just stick with the hardtail as I really don't have $2k to drop on a new bike.

Any thoughts from you Rockhopper owners / former owners? Also, for those of you who put on a Recon 351.. how do you like it. I was told not to exceed 100mm on the Rockhopper frame.

Thanks.

Weekend Warrior
    FWIW, I have an 08 Rockhopper and upgraded Pedals, Bashguard, and this week I ordered DT Swiss wheels and BB7 Disks and Flack Jacket Cables.

I rode a couple of $1000-1800 FS bikes and was a little disappointed, I also rode a $3500+ FS bike (The Enduro SL) and was absolutely amazed. The thing is, once you get used to the Rockhopper, with its weight and how easy you can through around the trail it is hard to get into something bouncy and heavy. My next thing is the fork and I was thinking FOX. I also heard not to go into anything higher than a 100mm as the bike wasn't designed for it. I'm even considering an 80mm fork to get more control on the trail. Maybe one of those 80-120mm adjustable ones would do the trick. My Dart 3 sometimes feels too tall to maintain control on some Trails. Maybe its just the type of fork. Well, its cheap.

I love my RH and I was at the LBS considering to possibly trade up my RH, but after riding several FS bikes (in my price range) I think that a FS should be an additional bike not a Hardtail replacement.

I got the M4 Frame and it is Definitely worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, if I had known the A1 was going to be replace 2 months after I bought my bike I would have waited. The M4 was the stumpy's old platform. definitely worth upgrading that. Anyway, I don't have the coin to upgrade the rockhopper AND buy a FS.

I just don't want to end up putting "rims on a toaster". Know what I mean? Just trying to determine if the frame is worth the investment in components.

Graphic Designer
    There is a rockhopper picture thread in this forum and everyone seems to love upgrading theirs... check it out:

Lets see those Rockhoppers. Pics and Upgrades
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, I saw that. It is just that the upgrade I am looking at are some of the most pricey ones. Just wanted to get some other's opinions about putting $800 of upgrades into the Rockhopper frame.

mtbr member
    upgrade the hopper, ride the crap out of it while saving for a new frame and then swap over parts!

Alien Surf Team
    I'm in the position now. I have an 08 Rockhopper and ride it a little more aggressively than I should so I think I've decided on an 09 GT Force. I've decided to keep the Rockhopper too for when I ride with my daughter plus I really like it. Upgraded the front brake to 185mm BB7 and planning on something like a Rockshox Tora, but I won't go crazy with the upgrades. No wheels, XTR parts, hydro brakes, etc. None of that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I guess I probably have some parts that could be considered 'rims on a toaster'. I got my bike stock and now I've got it nicely upgraded to a decent level IMO. Normally I would say go a different route than I did except for that I got a couple of my big items (fork, wheelset) used and saved a bunch of money vs. buying new (and by switching my insurance to Geico).

I say get a FS if you feel like HT is hurting you or you want to do something crazier than a HT will allow (although some people go pretty crazy on HT's too). If not then I say just upgrade and get parts that you will be able to put onto another bike. Good luck.

Here's my toaster;

Since the pics I've upgraded to '08 BB7's with FR-5 levers and it's a HUGE improvement over the stock brakes. Good luck and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i have an 06 rockhopper that has been upgraded with new lx cranks, mavic wheelset, xt shifters and brakes, with an xtr rear derailleur. i was about to upgrade to a fox fork when i rode a friend's 07 stumpjumper. it was like night and day. the stumpy climbed great especially with the propedal, but going downhill was awesome. i rode it for about 15 minutes on the trails i normally ride and it was great. i am now saving for a stumpjumper and am going to part out my rockhopper to help pay for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here's my Rockhopper, lots of upgrades, just about everything, mainly as parts wore out or when there was a good deal going. I cover a lot of miles xc, now it's an amazing ride, very light, fast and handles great, the M4 frame is very good. My long term plan maby next year is to move all the parts onto a Giant Anthem frame as I'd like a FS, short travel fast bike for enduros etc.

mtbr member
    what year model is your hopper

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's an 07

Weekend Warrior
    ACDC, I'm pretty sure yours is an 08. The 07 models were A1 frames. I bought mine in July of 07 I think and its an 08 model.

Graphic Designer
    07 were A1, you're right. His should be 08.
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just done my home work and you're right it is an 08 frame, bought in June 07 though.

mtbr member
    I have a 2005 Rockhopper Comp and I have ridden that thing a lot and I love it. I also considered upgrading it and save money or getting a full suspension bike. I ended up getting the full suspension Stumpy fsr instead of upgrading the Rockhopper. Riding the Rockhopper on the trails is really fun, but riding the fsr is amazingly fun. I take turns taking out the Rockhopper and Stumpy fsr equally so as not to make them jealous. I am glad I went the route I did instead of upgrading at the time as now I have the choice of which to take out. Now that I've bought the FSR though I can finally consider upgrading the Rockhopper little by little. First thing is to ditch the stock fork. Whatever route you choose will pay off in fun though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I love my RH comp 29er, and it's absolutely worth upgrading ... but not all at once.

I upgraded pedals and stem right away for cockpit fit and spud cleats. Next was to replace the mushy Deore shifters with XTs. The BB5s are fine once you adjust them. I should be good for a while till something breaks. But the wheels might be next if the stock Alex's don't stay true.

mtbr member
    It is an 08 I looked at one this week at LBS they didnt have the right sived frame they had to order an 09 I should have it next saturday

R3k
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDC
    Just done my home work and you're right it is an 08 frame, bought in June 07 though.
    I have the same Rockhopper as you (with similar upgrades ), bought in April 07, and I'm pretty sure it's an '07. Since I'm in the UK could it be that the UK Spec had the M4 frame?

Dust eater
    The M4 was in the UK earlier. Mine is a 07 M4 too. The spec of the comp disc was also better than the US with Tora fork, LX shifters and Juicy 3's.