mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Upgrade Ideas for 2007 Stumpjumper Pro

I recently purchased a brand new Large 2007 Stumpjumper Pro for $2600 which leaves me a little extra cash for some upgrades. Here is what the specs are and possible ideas for upgrades:

1.XT Cranks? Should I buy something better? Stiffer? Better chain rings?
    2.XT Front Derailleur? Should I steup up to XTR? Sram XO?
    3.Cassette? I think it's a cheap Shimano. Should I upgrade this?
    4.DT Swiss 4.2 Disc wheels/DT swiss rear hub and Specialized "stout" front hub? Is this wheelset decent? I have ridden 6 times and already my rear wheel is out of true
    5.Cane Creek headet? Is a Chris King a good move?
    6. Specialized Stem? Should I look for an S-Works Carbon fiber stem?

I ride pretty hard and I want the best/lightest stuff out there. I am planning to get back into racing within a few months so I want everything top notch. Thanks in advance for all your input!!!
    2001 Santa Cruz Superlight, Large. XT Drivetrain. Fox Float RL Rear. Manitou Minute 2:00 Fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wheels and cassette were the first upgrades made to my 07 sj fsr expert.

I went with an XTR cassette, and a Mavic Crosssmax SL wheelset. The maintenance on the Mavics is a little high (replace freehub body once a year), but the wheels have been solid. I'd like to try the Roval Controle's next.

I dropped about 1.25 lbs with this upgrade, and it's rotational weight, so acceleration is a bit quicker now.

Other good upgrades I made that have helped: Phenom SL saddle, Captain Control 2bliss tires, and going with a tubeless (Stan's) setup.

It's possible to spend plenty of money on bars/stems/seatposts, but I don't notice much of a change. I haven't had any issues with the drivetrain on my SJ either. As parts wear/tear off, I'll upgrade them.

With racing, it's more about the rider skill and training then the bike.

Have fun on your new rig

mtbr member
    1.XT Cranks? Should I buy something better? Stiffer? Better chain rings?

XT is pretty much the standard for trail bikes nowdays. You won't see much of an upgrade going to XTR. Especially considering how much they cost.

2.XT Front Derailleur? Should I steup up to XTR? Sram XO?

Front Derailleur would be last on my list of things to change. If it works well don't worry about it.

3.Cassette? I think it's a cheap Shimano. Should I upgrade this?

That would be a GOOD thing to upgrade. Easy way to shed weight and improve quality without spending a ton of money. If it is a deore cassette going to XT would be a big improvement.

4.DT Swiss 4.2 Disc wheels/DT swiss rear hub and Specialized "stout" front hub? Is this wheelset decent? I have ridden 6 times and already my rear wheel is out of true

There are definitely better options available but for more money. It may be worth having your wheelset completely retensioned and see how that works out. If you are still having problems pull the trigger on a new set. That being said, like bikefoolery said-losing weight in your wheels has a bigger impact than just about anywhere else on the bike.
    5.Cane Creek headet? Is a Chris King a good move?

Not worth it IMO. Use the Creek until it dies-which may never happen.

6. Specialized Stem? Should I look for an S-Works Carbon fiber stem?

Your call on that one.

mtbr member
    Buy a new wheel set, XT 775, tubeless, s-works tires, 6" brake rotors, and XT cassette.
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper / Roubaix

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was researching and I am thinking about going with a chris king disc hub setup. What are the best tubeless rims I could do with those hubs? and spokes?
    2001 Santa Cruz Superlight, Large. XT Drivetrain. Fox Float RL Rear. Manitou Minute 2:00 Fork.

mtbr member
    First upgrade right away was to cut off the grips and slap on some ODI lock ons!

I did my self a huge favor and upgraded the Saddle to a WTB Laser.
    Maybe its just me but that specialized saddle was hell on my hind quarters, even after only 3 miles. It looked really cool. I never had my rear hurt that bad and my previous bike was a hard tail.

I also ditched the Specialized Pro resolution front tire. The trails around these parts have a lot of kitty litter and I was tired of rocks flying into my face the whole ride. Plus the Kenda Navagal hookes up better. Plus I had 3 flats on the Specialized Pro resolutions within the first 2 weeks.

Get a rear shock mud guard
    Derailer hanger protector
    And some ODI or OURY lock ons

mtbr member
    your cassette is already an xt. wheels, wheels, wheels. that will make your bike going from great to amazing. ive got kings on my 819s, butted spokes and brass nipples, ride hard, and never broken a spoke or had an issue. i love the engagement on the kings, and once you ride with this type of engagement, you will never want to go back (trust me, i rode some bontrager wheels and hated them because of the engagement). Otherwise, get yourself some tires that are better for your terrain. king hs is only a bling factor, and unless you have to have it, dont waste the $$ until the other blows up. wheels and tires, and maybe saddle, i love my rival sl, favorite in the world. but, different seats for different cheeks, right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I have noticed that my saddle feels like a log splitter so to speak. I am going to do a king hub setup probably with some sort of mavic rim. Steve you say 819's? Anybody else have any good suggestions on rims?

mtbr member
    Hope Pro2's on 819's would be my recommendation... Nearly as bling, but cheaper and just as effective... Got some on mine, and they look REALLY good and the noise from the rear makes ramblers dive off the trail like they have been shot at!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    i would go the hope route if you dont want the bling factor of the kings. but, king does offer something like a 5 year warranty, great customer service, and their facility is extra clean and good to the environment, so its great if you support that kinda thing. next time i build wheels, i will get hopes over kings, though if im not at a bike shop. they're almost half the price, and ive rec.d those wheels to 2 customers who have that exact build, and love em. either route is great, but if you love the environment and bling, get the king. 819s if you want the ust option, otherwise get the 719s.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How many holes do I want for the front and rear? Also, do I want quick releases? I don't know if I have 10mm or 12mm or quickreleases.

mtbr member
    I would strongly recommend a new wheel set or have the spokes retentioned on your OEM wheels. A pre-built wheel set with Mavic 717 disc rims, DT Swiss spokes and XT hubs with run you around $200.00 or with better hubs $300.00 to $350.00. Or you can buy a set of Mavic Crossride Disc wheels for around $200.00, which should last you for about three years without any problems. Next, I would look at your brakes-my 07 SJ Comp came with Avid Juicy 5s, which I want to replace with Shimano 775 XTs. From what I have read, the new XT's are one of the most powerful, have the best modulation and are the most reliable brake on the market (i.e. worry free without the noise, vibration and lack of stopping power that I have experienced with my Avids). Otherwise if your Pro has an XT cassette than all of the other upgrades you mention with only add cosmetic value to your ride not performance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My brakes are magura marta sl's. They stop like a dream and feel great. Money is not an object right now so I want to build a set of wheels from the ground up.. It looks like I am going with Hope Pro II hubs, Mavic 819 disc tubeless rims, but what spokes and nipples do I want?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Replace the Fork , Put Pike on it.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalton
    Or you can buy a set of Mavic Crossride Disc wheels for around $200.00, which should last you for about three years without any problems.
    I doubt the Crossrides would be an improvement. I was interested in them until I realized they were heavier than the x317s and Specialized Hubs from my 2001 Enduro.

mtbr member
    I believe the new Shimano XT 775 brakes use Magura SL's levers and calipers with beefier rotors-so your brake setup is very good. One of the problems with newer Specialized wheel sets is that they are machine built and for some reason the spokes are not pre-stressed properly so the rims go out of true within a few rides. I would strongly recommend DT Swiss spokes with brass nipples (if they are available for Mavic 819 rims). DT Swiss has a good write up about spokes and nipple on their home page so take a look at their recommendations for your type of riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalton
    I believe the new Shimano XT 775 brakes use Magura SL's levers and calipers with beefier rotors-so your brake setup is very good. One of the problems with newer Specialized wheel sets is that they are machine built and for some reason the spokes are not pre-stressed properly so the rims go out of true within a few rides. I would strongly recommend DT Swiss spokes with brass nipples (if they are available for Mavic 819 rims). DT Swiss has a good write up about spokes and nipple on their home page so take a look at their recommendations for your type of riding.

That is sort of what I was getting at with my first post in this thread. The stock rims and hubs are probably pretty good. A thorough re tensioning would probably make a wold of difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My fork is a Fox Talas 140mm fork, it is by far the best fork I have ever ridden, I don't see changing that out anytime soon. OK cool, I guess I will go get my wheels re tensioned and trued this weekend. I have looked at the X.O derailleur on my bike and it looks differnet than the aftermarket one. The one on my bike doesn't have carbon fiber all over it like the aftermarket one, whats up with that?