mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Upgrade front fork for a bit more downhill

Currently I have a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2011 model, love it! New to mountain biking and I've been enjoying it ever since!

I was told by a few other riders I should consider upgrading the front fork to longer travel such as 160mm? Believe the one came with the bike travels 140mm? With a longer travel fork, I'll be sitting more upright, so it would be easier to go steeper downhill. I don't do a lot of downhill, but some trails have a small section of really steep downhilll and I always ended up walking down!

What do you think? Much appreciate your help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Its a lot of money to spend if you don't do a lot of downhill, more weight and the bike will most likely feel heaver.Steering could be slower. I'd guess you are not using the full travel on the 140mm forks?

I think before you spend a load of money i'd upgrade the seat post to an ajustable. You would only need to drop it an inch and you'll be amazed how much confidence you'll get by moving you body lower and back over the seat on the technical downhills.

Wiggle | KS i900R Suspension Seat Post with Remote Lever Seat Posts

Cheers Phil

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Phil, at this point, I don't do purely downhill. Not sure though what you mean by not using the full travel on the fork? Usually before I go down, I'd set the dial to the softest setting by turning it counter-clockwise, and the fork is set according to my weight which is 130lbs.

The adjustable seat post is a good idea, I do frequently adjust the position when going uphill or downhill. Worst for downhill as I'd stop just before heading down, bring the seat down. Since this will take a few seconds and starring at the slope I'll chicken out and walk down With the seatpost adjuster I can just keep going.

I've seen some stems with adjustable angle, would that help?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    next time you go out for a ride, drop your seatpost well before the hill you want to go down and see what kind of difference it makes in your confidence and your actual riding, then go from there.
    also, i think you may be able to have your lbs remove a spacer from your fork to extend travel to 150mm.
    go talk to them about that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Okay, I'll check with lbs about the spacer, wasn't aware of that. Thank you for your information.