mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Upgrade from a 2005 stumpy?

I have a 2005 stumpjumper expert. Would you guy upgrade to a 2009 stumpjumper competition? Is the changes in the 2009 from 2005 a drastic change?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The frame has been completely re-designed. I haven't ridden one much but everyone who I have talked to has said they absolutely love it. I have played with them a good amount and they are rock solid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    so maybe it's worth an upgrade? I'll test the 09's when they come out.

mtbr member
    Yes, I think it's quite a change. I can't say that the '09s will be better or worse, I suppose since Spec redesigned the Stumpy in '08 that they felt it was superior. I can say that the '04-'07 design sure works well. I just got an '05 S-Works FSR frame and built it up. It rides exactly as I expected and I love it.

If you've had your '05 for a few years now, then you should get the '09. It'll most definitely spark up your rides just because you got a new bike!

mtbr member
    If you want a new bike then go for it. Like onegymrat said, it will increase your enthusiasm for riding and is always fun. But the actual "improvement" from one design to the other I feel is not "that" substantial.
    There is a definite element of marketing that goes into this. The manufacurers want you to think that you need to buy a new bike every few years or you are missing out on something. All the Specialized full suspension bikes have been using a horst configuration since the beginning. The latest models are using the latest configuration and claim it is an improvement, which it probably is. But is the improvement substantial enough to slap down another couple grand? IMO, doubtful.
    You will get many posters who would die on the sword for their new Stumpy and you will get others like myself who don't believe in buying nearly an identical bike when you have a pefectly good Stumpy.
    So take each with a grain of salt and decide for yourself. Other's input is nice but the decision is yours alone to make.
    I own a 06 Stumpy and a 07 Enduro Pro and I would never trade my Enduro in for the new Enduro SL. I personally think that it is a step backwards for the specific use it was designed for. Just a personal opinion but one many others I know share.
    Either way, as long as you are riding, you will be happy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpunk7
    The manufacurers want you to think that you need to buy a new bike every few years or you are missing out on something.
    I've been romanced by Specialized for so long that I had fogotten about this. Fantastic point! Just like an Ipod...they'll always find ways to make you buy new.