Dude!

Upgrade 03 Brain to newer Brain

Just curious is anyone has swapped out thier 03 Brain for a new Brain and if so, how much is that running? I have a Epic S-Works 03 and would like to swap out my old brain for a newer 05 Brain shock. Or, does anyone know of any retailer (other than LBS) that caters to these type of issues. Also, I would love to swap out my old alloy linkage for a carbon fiber linkage. Any thoughts on that?

We want... a shrubbery!
    I don't know the specifics, but it has been done. A frame just as you described sold on ebay in the last week or two.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member

Don't think so

I read somewhere that you can't upgrade to the '06 Brain. You can upgrade to the IQ Brain.

mtbr member
    I've been told you can't put the CF link in place of the standard link. Not sure why if the geometry is the same, but that's what I've heard.

You can upgrade to the IQ Brain - I know that for a fact. Haven't heard anything about the Brain Fade or the '06 version.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Dude!
    I know you can't use the Specialized carbon fiber link, but I was curious if any aftermarket companies made one or another that is lighter.

Any idea how much a 04 or 05 rear shock might be?

EPIC OWNERS UNITE!!!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

... and if we just ... Spec says you can upgrade to 06 Brain ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Tay
    Just curious is anyone has swapped out thier 03 Brain for a new Brain and if so, how much is that running? I have a Epic S-Works 03 and would like to swap out my old brain for a newer 05 Brain shock. Or, does anyone know of any retailer (other than LBS) that caters to these type of issues. Also, I would love to swap out my old alloy linkage for a carbon fiber linkage. Any thoughts on that?
    I asked a few months ago and here is the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Response (Josh)
    Cristian,

The shock will work on your 2003 frame.

Specialized Bicycles USA

Hi! I would like to know if the new 2006 Brain with Trail Tune is compatible with my 2003 Epic Comp frame.
    Cheers,
    Cris
    Last edited by crisillo; 02-25-2006 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

carbon link

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Tay
    I know you can't use the Specialized carbon fiber link, but I was curious if any aftermarket companies made one or another that is lighter.

Any idea how much a 04 or 05 rear shock might be?

EPIC OWNERS UNITE!!!
    I ride an 04 Epic, my aluminum link wore out due to bearing seizure. The dealer went ahead and put in the S Works carbon link and the magnesium shock arm. Saved some weight (bike is sub 25 lb now, large frame). Works fine. I am not familiar with the new brain but the old brain works flawlessly for me.