mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Updating '93 Stumpjumper

I still ride my 1993 Stumpjumper FS (Future shock) and right now it's set up as an urban bike with semi-knobbie tires, platform pedals and lights.

I've had it since new, it got me through college, over 2000 miles of offroad, and I have far too much sentimental value in it to get rid of it.

The Deore LX drivetrain is really worn and the shifters are falling apart. So is the futureshock (rockshox mag 21 copy). Everything else is in okay shape.

I'd like to find a new suspension fork for it as well as a new drivetrain- shifters/BB/gears. Heck maybe even a new wheelset- the front is original.

The fork uses a 1 1/8" threaded stem. I have the old 7 speed LX rear.

What's my best bet? Is there a "drive-train-in-a-box" I can order and upgrade everything?

At this point, I wouldn't mind replacing everything but the frame....
    As for info on the bike- I found this: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...r+FS&Type=bike

and: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Revitalization

2008 Cannondale Rush SL 4
    2005 Felt F75 roadie
    1993 Stumpjumper FS

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    That's why I buy a new bike every year- no sentimental value.

What about buying something from bikesdirect, and switching parts over? Not sure if the BB or headset are compatible, though. Also would still need a different fork, unless you want disc in the front and rim in the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Davir
    looks like disc brake mounts in the rear. never mind rack mounts my bad!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are you interested in updating the bike with modern parts, or restoring with old parts. If you are interested in keeping it old school, you may want to check out retrobike.

This is going to take quite a bit of research on your part to update this frame with modern parts. You will have to figure out what you currently have, and whether new parts are compatible. Updating drivetrain can be confusing, especially if you are mixing 7/8/9/10 speed parts.

Drivetrain:
    You cannot buy new high quality 7 speed parts (or 8 speed). You may be able to buy used or NOS parts on EBAY, but you'll pay for them. If you want to install new quality parts, you will need to upgrade to a 9/10 speed drivetrain. Your hub will not be compatible with 8/9/10 speed cassettes. You will need to buy a new hub/wheel if you want to update to any of these modern drivetrains. Since 10 speed is new, a lot of 9 speed stuff is on sale, FWIW. Is your frame spacing 130mm or 135mm? Modern hubs use 135mm. If you have 130 mm frame, I don't know what your upgrade options are. I think your bottom bracket shouldn't be difficult to replace.

Fork:
    You will want to upgrade to a threadless headset and stem for best fork options. Measure your forks axle to crown length (google to find diagrams/explanation). You will want to get a fork with a similar A2C length to best match your current geometry, here is a list. The longer fork you use, the more your bike will have the "chopper" look/handling. I recently got a 2002 Rock Shox SID that has convertable 80/63 mm travel for my old bike. It's hard to find many decent options with only 63mm or less travel. Be careful, and expect that any used fork will need servicing.

For specific questions on drivetrain or suspension, you will get a better response in those forums.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    you can just get a build kit and pick any modern 1 1/8" fork. Probably stay to something like 80mm so it doesn't throw your bikes geometry off too much.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/153...-Build-Kit.htm

or others:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/3-Pa...-Kits-True.htm

edit:
    those are for disc braks. You would be able to run a front disc brake but the rear you would need to an adapter like a2z or keep the vbrake. If keeping the vbrake you might want to get a drive train build kit then just buy the fork, wheels, headset, stem, and handlebar seperate.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I used to have that exact same bike, have been looking to pick one up again just for the sentimental value, but I am not so worried about it being "period correct". I would convert it to a singlespeed, put a rigid Salsa fork on it, and ride the sh*t out of it.

What did you ever decide to do with it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Found out shifter was loose. Fixed that put on some slicks and it's my city bike.
    2008 Cannondale Rush SL 4
    2005 Felt F75 roadie
    1993 Stumpjumper FS