Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Unusual picture request

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Timeless 
#1 ·
I need a picture of the bottom of the bottom bracket. After having a tire blow up on me Saturday, I flipped the bike over to pull the wheel off. While upside down, I noticed the RD cable had cut a deep grove in the bottom bracket. So much that I was afraid it would open a hole into the BB shell.

#2 ·
Lumbee1 said:
I need a picture of the bottom of the bottom bracket. After having a tire blow up on me Saturday, I flipped the bike over to pull the wheel off. While upside down, I noticed the RD cable had cut a deep grove in the bottom bracket. So much that I was afraid it would open a hole into the BB shell.
I noticed that as well. I put a piece of automotive chip guard under the cable and that seems to have stopped the abrasion problem.

What specifically do you want to picture for?

#3 ·
mopartodd said:
I noticed that as well. I put a piece of automotive chip guard under the cable and that seems to have stopped the abrasion problem.

What specifically do you want to picture for?
I wanted to see if something came there stock. I can't believe that the big S would let a cable rub against the frame this badly. There is a screw there that hold a cable guide for the FD. It would have been easy to extend that to cover the cable for the RD as well.

#4 ·
Nothing there but the housing on the frame. I think the higher end models had a different arrangement with the cable routing around the BB.

Man, first the Triad, now this.:sad:

I may just part this bike out and get a Ti hardtail after all.

What ever happened with your headset??

#5 ·
Which Bike?

Lumbee1 said:
Can you tell me what bike you are referring to? Do you have a photo? This is by no means correct. It sounds like your housing shifted or is too short.

Jake Wake

#6 ·
mopartodd said:
Nothing there but the housing on the frame. I think the higher end models had a different arrangement with the cable routing around the BB.

Man, first the Triad, now this.:sad:

I may just part this bike out and get a Ti hardtail after all.

What ever happened with your headset??
Bearings are shot BUT it was my fault :( . When I installed that stem I got from you, I tightened down the top cap too tight. Essentially my bearings lived a short life due to the amount of strain on them. I have a new set on order and they should be here soon.

BTW, I talked to Mark Taylor the other day :thumbsup:

JakeWake said:
Can you tell me what bike you are referring to? Do you have a photo? This is by no means correct. It sounds like your housing shifted or is too short.

Jake Wake
2006 Stumpjumper. FD cable has a cable guide that screws into the BB shell. RD cable doesn't and it has been chewing away at the BB shell badly.

#7 ·
Lumbee1 said:
Bearings are shot BUT it was my fault :( . When I installed that stem I got from you, I tightened down the top cap too tight. Essentially my bearings lived a short life due to the amount of strain on them. I have a new set on order and they should be here soon.

2006 Stumpjumper. FD cable has a cable guide that screws into the BB shell. RD cable doesn't and it has been chewing away at the BB shell badly.
Hardtail or FSR? -JW

#9 ·
Rear Shift Cable Too Short

stumpjumper319 said:
Bikes are a little dirty, but here is my 2005 SJ120 expert

And my wife's 2007 SJ Comp

Sorry don't own a 2006, but I think it should be similar to my 2005...hope this helps
The problem is that your rear shifter cable is too short, or has slid back. When the rear suspension is bottomed out, you should still have enough rear shifter cable under the BB that it just barely clears the BB shell. At no time should it be rubbing or wearing against the BB shell.

Jake Wake

#10 ·
Lumbee1 said:

Hopefully, Mark made it worth your while.

This thing with the BB, perhaps you can find a welder locally who can run a bead where the cable has worn away the shell. Then I'd cover the repair with BBQ paint.

Glad to hear the HS wasn't a frame problem too.:thumbsup:

#12 ·
Update:

The picture doesn't show exactly how bad it is. I was going to remove the FD anyways to complete my Stumpy transformation to 1x9. The FD came off along with the left side shifter and cable. The cable guide was not going to work for the RD cable housing though. I modified a reflector mount and attached it to the bottom of the BB shell.

While working on this, I realized I had a new problem. I tried to remove the crankset to remove the granny ring but the drive side crank would not come out of the BB. After some research I found that the plastic collar on the crank shaft breaks and get stuck inside the BB. This is a common problem and Truvativ just sends out a replacement crankset.

#14 ·
mopartodd said:
I never could understand why the base Stumpy FSR had a continous cable housing, while the upper end models used cable stops on the downtube and chainstays for the rear derailleur. I've noticed that my RD cable moves around alot, even with new zip-ties.
The RD cable was rubbing the paint near my headtube as well. I put a clear protective sticker to prevent it from removing any more paint. The FD cable got cable stops so why didn't the RD cable?

#15 ·
Lumbee1 said:
The RD cable was rubbing the paint near my headtube as well. I put a clear protective sticker to prevent it from removing any more paint. The FD cable got cable stops so why didn't the RD cable?
Cables rubbing the HT is common on all bikes, and clear stickers are a good solution. A better solution is to route the right shifter around the left side of the HT, and the left shifter around the right side of the head tube. This is how the bike should have been assembled out of the box.

Specialized uses full housing on the rear derailleur to protect it from contamination and keep it shifting nicely for a much longer period. This is especially valuable in wet areas.

It sounds like your cable slid around. You need to be sure there is enough slack under the BB to keep it from rubbing. Be sure your zip ties are tight. You can even add a zip tie or two to be sure nothing moves.

Don't worry about the groove that has been worn. I know it is unsightly, but it is not a strength problem. Just adjust the cable to prevent further wear. Whatever you do, don't have it welded like someone previously suggested.

Jake Wake

#17 ·
JakeWake said:
Cables rubbing the HT is common on all bikes, and clear stickers are a good solution. A better solution is to route the right shifter around the left side of the HT, and the left shifter around the right side of the head tube. This is how the bike should have been assembled out of the box.

Specialized uses full housing on the rear derailleur to protect it from contamination and keep it shifting nicely for a much longer period. This is especially valuable in wet areas.

It sounds like your cable slid around. You need to be sure there is enough slack under the BB to keep it from rubbing. Be sure your zip ties are tight. You can even add a zip tie or two to be sure nothing moves.

Don't worry about the groove that has been worn. I know it is unsightly, but it is not a strength problem. Just adjust the cable to prevent further wear. Whatever you do, don't have it welded like someone previously suggested.

Jake Wake
This is not cable rub on the headtube. This is cable rub on the downtube, near the head tube. There is enough slack in the cable there that it lays against the downtube.

If Specialized uses full housing to protect it from contamination and keep it shifting nicely, why wouldn't they have done the same for the FD cable?

As long as the cable rub didn't penetrate the BB shell, then I am not worried about the groove. A fix is in place to cover it from additional wear.

CHSAD said:
Off topic: What kind of tires are you using lumbee?
Panaracer Cinder. Much better grip than the Resolution/Adrenaline in the rear.

Anybody else have problems removing the cranks shaft?

#18 ·
Lumbee1 said:
If Specialized uses full housing to protect it from contamination and keep it shifting nicely, why wouldn't they have done the same for the FD cable?
Cable friction comes from contamination inside your housing. Water and dirt get into cables worst when you have UPward facing cable stops. The front derailleur is bare wire all the way from the DOWNward facing stop at the head tube. It is tough to get water to move upwards into the housing. Plus the front derailleur is designed for bare wire, unlike the rear. On the other hand, when we used short pieces of housing under the BB and at the CS to rear derailleur, these would get contaminated very easily.

Jake Wake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.