mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Unhappy with 2012 Formula brakes on 2012 Epic/Stumpy Expert...Fix?

I test rode a 2012 Stumpjumper Expert HT with the formula R1 brakes and didn't like them. They don't stop. I just purchased a new 2012 Epic Expert rather than the HT, with the Fromula R1's and they are the same...don't stop.

I also noticed that the calipers are Rx rather than the R1's. It appears that several people are having this same issue so what are the fixes to make these work or am I better off replacing them.

Anyone just purchased R1 calipers? My LBS will work with specialized and take care of me even if I need to purchase new brakes...just wondering if these are salvageable.

I did a search and it appears that several on here are also having this issue but no one has mentioned a fix yet.

mtbr member
    How long have you ridden the bike? Amount of hours? Did you actually allow enough time for the pads to bed? Has your shop rebled the brakes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ia_ss157 View Post
    How long have you ridden the bike? Amount of hours? Did you actually allow enough time for the pads to bed? Has your shop rebled the brakes?
    Road about 3/4 mile holding brakes on and running up to speed then full brake. Road 6 laps of a short track (2 mile) course at race pace. Then road a 23 mile XC course where we have a marathon race next weekend. Bike is at LBS now to be assessed.

Brakes are better but no where near good. I do really like the amount of adjustment and features...so I'd really like them to work.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Took my Epic Expert 29 for a few rides around the neighborhood over the past few days before its maiden voyage in the dirt yesterday, and it took a couple of decent sections on the trail before the pads really felt bedded in. Once they bedded in, the brakes have been working well.

That being said, I'll take [generalizations] the German dependability of the Magura MT-6 brakes that I'm moving from my old bike over the light & strong, but fiddly, Italian R1/RX brakes.[/generalizations].

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crimecrusher View Post
    Road about 3/4 mile holding brakes on and running up to speed then full brake. Road 6 laps of a short track (2 mile) course at race pace. Then road a 23 mile XC course where we have a marathon race next weekend. Bike is at LBS now to be assessed.

Brakes are better but no where near good. I do really like the amount of adjustment and features...so I'd really like them to work.
    From the Formula R1 manual:

WARNING: The brake system requires a break in
    period to obtain top performance. We recommend
    running the bike at a speed of 30 Km/h and braking
    it at least 50 times allowing it to come to a full a stop
    (taking the required precautions) before considering
    the system broken in and fully efficient.

parts leftover
    ^ That's it. My brakes needed a half dozen rides in the dirt to get them bedded in right. No power until I got them heated up nicely descending on my local trails. After I did that, they work great all the time. I can lock them up pretty easily whenever I want to.

mtbr member
    Well if any of you guys hate them enough to remove them I'll give you the Elixir 5's and a 5 pack of Heinekin for them
    I had the regular RX, not the R1/RX hybrids, and I loved them, wish I had them over the Elixir 5's that came on my Camber.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I loved them on the stumpy expert. If you want to sell them let me know. I could use them on my HT.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    He's right,been riding my 2012 Epic Expert since late september and as I've said before R1s have been a complete letdown. I'm seriously considering to replace them with some good 'ol Elixirs. Just bleeded mines on my Stumpy FSR, never let me down,not a single glitch ever.
    Break in period is total BS,R1's on my 2010 Lapierres worked flawlessly in very first place,just my Zesty RX clamps couldn't stand heat much but that's it.

Maybe OEM pads are complete crap ??
    Last edited by Devastazione; 12-12-2011 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Guess I need more break in. So would I have to do this every time I change pads? I had some elixer CR's and didn't have this problem. I could feather the brakes and stop when I wanted to. These require at least two fingers and pulling at full force to stop. Feels like the pads have lube on them.

I've been considering new differant pads or replacing the RX calipers with R1's.

mtbr member
    i test rode an epic at a recent demo day ... can't say i was overly impressed with the brakes ... i almost stacked it on the first corner, grabbed a handfull of brakes and nothing happened ... they did get a little better once they had warmed up/been used a few times, but not by much ... could have been residue from when the bikes were cleaned the day before perhaps, or just an underperforming brake system?

when i rode my camber pro 29er home i damn near fell off that too ... i applied the same pressure i had been using on the epic to the front brake and it locked up ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

UNDEAD
    Answer: Shimano
    2013 Specialized Enduro Expert
    Bronco D-handle square point Shovel

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just to update this...specialized is apparently aware of this issue and is sending out a new set of pads. Don't know what's differant yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ya I don't know... my 2011 Camber 29er came with contaminated pads. No power at all... couldn't even stop on a mild hill if I wanted. They cleaned the rotors and replaced the pads and it was perfect, tons of power.

Now I just picked up my 2012 SJ FSR Expert EVO with Formula brakes and they are doing exact same thing as my Camber did. I've put a number of rides in and I can't lock up the tire if I wanted to... pretty much unsafe on anything steep. I assume it's the same issue and new pads with clean rotors will fix it. But, I'm 2 for 2 on new bikes with contaminated pads.

And just to be clear... this is not a normal new pad thing. Go spray some WD40 on your rotors and go for a ride, that's what this feels like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bike shop is slammed with work till the new year so I just pulled the pads out to take a look:

These are out of a brand new 2012 SJ FSR Expert Evo 29er... I have about 20 miles on the bike over 2 rides. They were covered in a black gunk that I rubbed off and I have them in the oven in hopes of burning the rest off. At least until the shop can replace them after the new year.

But, man they look beat to hell for a brand new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snow-man View Post
    Answer: Shimano
    I have a new 29 Expert HT. Should I pull the R1X off while new and go with XTR? Or should I give these a shot first? I'm not sure how much I could get for the full Formula setup to offset the cost of the XTR.
    2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo 2 /// 2000 Ritchey Swiss Cross

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezin86 View Post
    Bike shop is slammed with work till the new year so I just pulled the pads out to take a look:

These are out of a brand new 2012 SJ FSR Expert Evo 29er... I have about 20 miles on the bike over 2 rides. They were covered in a black gunk that I rubbed off and I have them in the oven in hopes of burning the rest off. At least until the shop can replace them after the new year.

But, man they look beat to hell for a brand new bike.

Those are not normal looking pads. Did you pry the pads apart with screw driver or something? It also looks like you didnt "bed" them in correctly either as they are glazed.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'll update this with a fix now that I have one. Specialized is aware of the issue and will send your dealer a new set of pads of a differant compound that has worked for others. However, while wanting for the pads, my LBS cleaned the rotors with regular auto brake cleaner and sanded the brake pads.

Now they work fine. No noise and stop good. I was ready to throw these away, so I'd encourage anyone else to change the pads or use this fix before you give up on them.