mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Ugh, what Rockhopper 29er model to get--if any

Noticed our local park has neat mountain bike trails, signs posted everywhere no motorize bikes but it seems these bikes have came a long ways since I first had my bikes-- early 1980's.

Spent 2 hours at the bike shop today and did ride both 26 and 29 inchers. The 29 seem much smoother and with a 15.5 inch frame I can handle it great. I'm a featherlight @ 130 lbs, 5' 6".

Now I can not decide which bike to get. Pretty sure I want a 2011 model, all the 2010 left are like demo's--shop says no but then let me take a few in the parking lots for mini test rides. Brake rotors seem to have a bit of wear also, so the $200 in savings doesn't seem worth it to me. (they want $700 for their 2010 comp 29er--$940 for a brand spanking new 2011)

Was leaning with ordering the Expert for $1200 but now wounder if the Pro 29er for $1400 is the better pick. I am guessing my light weight will help the rims stay true longer.

I was a hard gas power dirt bike rider in my 20's but that was 20 years ago. Don't think I be doing anything wild but maybe

know zip about mountain bikes, just walked a few trails and its very nice out there and not many people out there, cool, I want a bike but am getting lost picking one. Oh, $1,400 is max price, I'm over budget already. Thanks for any advice .
    Last edited by Skylor; 10-11-2010 at 08:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just like to add the shop I went today to was helpful and will allow me to swap/upgrade parts to my liking for a small fee, salesman was a hip guy and was very helpful. He says prices are firm, I seen some places will cut the retail price by around $100 but since I'm a newbie don't feeling like chasing out the lowest price shop since I will have to trust them and ask a ton of dumb questions, lol

Don't have large volume shops here in Michigan and its getting towards off season.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you've got a good shop to work with.

I would get the most bike you can afford, ride the cr@p out of it and start saving for something more in case you really like this off road bike riding thing.