Thread: Tyres

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Tyres

I have a 2007 Specialized FSRxc Comp, and I'm looking for some new tyres for it for this summer. The bike will be ridden in the Swiss Alps, which is a dry environment with no mud. I'm would like something from the Maxxis range, and preferably something that rolls quite well but has a lot of grip in the corners. I'm looking at the High Rollers, ADvantage, or CrossMark. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Crossmarks. I've ran 3 different sets and I love them. Are you wanting to run a UST? If so, I'd roll these, but its all in preference. They are a great XC tire.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks. I want to run UST Minions or High Rollers on my Demo, because I have heard there are many advantages for downhill, but a lot of people say that Tubeless is not worth it for XC, so I don't really know if I will go Tubeless or not with my FSRxc.

Also, which width tyre would you suggest I run? There is a 2.1" and a 2.25" option. I would tend to go with the wider one (for downhill), but I'm thinking it may slow me down and tire me out faster for XC. Last question, what is different with the eXCeption version?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    from what I've read, the eXception version has 120tpi casing which is softer and will conform to rock/roots/etc.. better than the 60tpi casing. Its also made from a softer rubber which will give better grip, but wear out faster. I think its mainly a race tire, but not sure if its better than the UST version cuz that has a harder sidewall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I found the Crossmarks (2.1) to not have enough tread to hook up on loose gravel. I found the Advantage (2.1) did not hook up when I cornered hard. I'm currently running Specialized Captain Control tires and very happy with them.