mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Turning a 2013 enduro comp into more of a stumpjumper evo

My wife rides a 2013 enduro comp and is finding out that it's just too burly of a bike. I was thinking to lighten it up and essentially turn it into more of a trail bike/stumpjumper. Currently it rides with a float 36 fork set to 160mm. I was wondering if anyone had put a 150mm revelation on an enduro and how it rode? Doing this would save just over a pound in the front end. She doesn't ride hard at all and the float 36 is too much. Most of the light 160mm forks are out of budget for how much use this bike gets used. Should have got her a stumpy to begin with but she thinks the enduro is pretty and doesn't want anything else.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I honestly would sell it and get her a Stumpy. If you reduce the fork travel A-C the already low BB will be even lower. Have you done everything wheel wise? Tubeless and singleplys?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I would sell it and get her something else also. If the frame design is attractive to her...the Stumpy and Camber aren't far off in looks. If color is the issue...show her other bikes and have her pick something a little less burly in a color she digs.

If you put on a shorter travel fork, like JCL said it will lower the BB a little and you'd have a burly bike with a not-as-burly fork, which seems a bit counter productive. If you're really set on keeping the Enduro and swapping on a less burly fork, my suggestion is to sell the 36 and put that money toward a lighter 160mm fork. Other things like lighter tires, tubeless, and various other small bits can make that bike lighter.

mtbr member
    If selling/trading for a SJ isnt an option, go lighter wheels and tires first. When I throw my 1500g carbon wheels from my SJ evo onto my Enduro Evo it makes the Enduro feel like a decent trail bike! So much easier to climb and pedal around! Since she doesnt ride hard a set of Roval Control or even some Chinese carbon wheels would be a great option.

For the fork I'd check out the X-fusion Slant. You can get it in 160mm, and it over 3/4 of a lb lighter than the Fox 36. I believe they retail for around $500 and have been getting great reviews.

A Revelation 150 would also be a decent choice, would steepen the headtube angle and drop the bb a bit and make it a bit more friendly for cruising around.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    All good advise. Currently she runs the float 36 at about 35% sag since the fork is so progressive and has trouble making use of travel. I'm getting a used rev for cheap and will run it at 25-30% and that will make up for head angle/bottom bracket geo. Also going 26t direct mount 1x. That should save close to another pound. Anyone know what the stock wheelset weighs? They feel reasonable but I'm sure there is easy weight to be lost there. Already using tubeless but she could switch from Hans dampf to something slightly lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    All good advise. Currently she runs the float 36 at about 35% sag since the fork is so progressive and has trouble making use of travel. I'm getting a used rev for cheap and will run it at 25-30% and that will make up for head angle/bottom bracket geo. Also going 26t direct mount 1x. That should save close to another pound. Anyone know what the stock wheelset weighs? They feel reasonable but I'm sure there is easy weight to be lost there. Already using tubeless but she could switch from Hans dampf to something slightly lighter.
    Going 1x, changing tires and upgrading wheelset will shave about 2 pounds

I'd definitely trade the whole bike instead
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd rather trade the whole bike but she loves that one for some reason and won't entertain the idea.

mtbr member
    The stock wheels are probably in the 1900-2000g range, and the hans Dampfs are 765g each. Swapping to a Roval Control or a Chinese carbon will drop over a 1-1.5 lbs right there, and going with some Nobby Nics would drop almost another lb. Dropping 2lbs of rolling mass would be the biggest change you could make.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy