mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Tubeless tire pressure

I'm new with tubeless tires. I'm using Stan's with Specialized Fast Trak and Renegade 2Bliss tires. I weigh 153# and have tried various pressures, going as low as 23psi.

What is the lowest pressure you can use that won't cause problems? What seems to work best for traction, etc?

In the summer, I ride mostly dry singletrack with lots of steep grades, some hardpack and some with loose rocks, etc. In the winter, I ride in a lot of mud!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    I'm new with tubeless tires. I'm using Stan's with Specialized Fast Trak and Renegade 2Bliss tires. I weigh 153# and have tried various pressures, going as low as 23psi.

What is the lowest pressure you can use that won't cause problems? What seems to work best for traction, etc?

In the summer, I ride mostly dry singletrack with lots of steep grades, some hardpack and some with loose rocks, etc. In the winter, I ride in a lot of mud!
    Basic rule of thumb is "low is good". I ride in the high 20's usually, lower for softer conditions, higher for more rocky conditions. As you probably know traction is much improved running lower pressures (more tyre surface area on the ground). There is no rule - but at your weight I'd be riding low 20's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what about the rolling resistance? my instinct was always to pump hard (i ride in places where traction not important). how much speed am i sacrificing with low pressure on trails where traction not an issue?
    thanks

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    What rims are you using? It will also depend on how hard you corner. I ran the 2bliss casings on the DT rims that came on the 2011 comp level enduro an blew the beads off the rims in hard turns at 28-30 psi. If I had some Mavic tubeless rims I could run the down to 24 ish with no problems.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slav View Post
    what about the rolling resistance? my instinct was always to pump hard (i ride in places where traction not important). how much speed am i sacrificing with low pressure on trails where traction not an issue?
    thanks
    Basically the wider the tyre, the less rolling resistance (really). Google the Schwalbe report on this factor. The issue with off road use is that the longer the contact patch is, the more effort to roll the tyre. On road with pavement use, the opposite is true.

Remember the basic physics ways that the only way to change the size of your contact patch is to change the pressure in the tyre. Not the size/shape or width of the tyre. As with cars, a different sized tyre simply changes the shape of the contact patch, not the size of the patch (i.e. length and width).

mtbr member
    I'm 165 in my gear and I run 20-25 psi with my 2.4 and 2.2 Purgatory. I've been as low as 18psi, but it gets a little squirrelly in the back that low.