I Ride Bikes

tubeless stems...provided with bike?

I'm thinking about going tubeless. Someone mentioned to me that my new bike (2012 Camber Carbon) should have come with tubeless stems. Is that correct? My LBS did not give me anything like that. I believe my rims and tires are both 2Bliss ready too.

mtbr member
    I bought a new Camber a month ago and it did not include stems, neither did my Stumpjumper I purchased 2 years ago or my Rockhopper 4 years ago. 2 from the same shop one from a new shop. I have heard this also but it has never happened. By the way, I love my new Camber Comp.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Check the bike description on Specialized's web site. It should say if it comes with them or not.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I recently bought a 2012 Stumpjumper and heard this also. When I went back and mentioned it to the shop they said they had no idea about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

www.notubes.com

This is how I set my 29er tires up:

1. Stan's presta valve stem with removable valve core for mtb bike
    2. core Remover Tool
    3. Made sure I had a good rim strip to seal the spoke bed
    4. Stan' Tire Sealant

Remove Tire, Install Stan's new valve stem, remove the valve stem core, (IMPORTANT STEP, while core is removed, mount and try to inflate the tire and bead the tire against the rim with floor pump before putting the sealant in, if that does not bead the tire, use some compressed air, from a gas station or what every you might have access to, tires should then be beaded against the rim.) I mention this because some tires pop on the rim bead easy and some are more difficult. Once beaded, pour four ounces of sealant through the valve stem while core is removed, install core, tighten core. Inflate tire to maybe 13lb of air pressure, I press in on the sides of the tire near the rim with both thumbs to let a little sealant escape between the rim and tire around the rim between each spoke all the way around the rim of both sides off the tire, a long process, but this avoids any air from escaping the tire, really sticking the tire to the rim...I do this process for carbon rims and has held up great. Inflate tire to maximum pressure, let tire set overnight, tire should still have max pressure in tire, if not let some air out, down to 13lb again rework tire side, then air up, let stand overnight...should be good to go...You can do it your own way, but this with the least amount of mess, and pretty much guaranteed to work the first time, hey it only cost more to do it twice!

I Ride Bikes
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah it's not a big deal. I was just wondering.

Also thanks for the tips!

Using No Way as Way...
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I'm thinking about going tubeless. Someone mentioned to me that my new bike (2012 Camber Carbon) should have come with tubeless stems. Is that correct? My LBS did not give me anything like that. I believe my rims and tires are both 2Bliss ready too.
    i have a 2012 stumpy FSR elite. initially i thought they rolled off the floor tubeless. guess not. the sales person did say they were ready if i decided to. got me thinking...

when i purchased the bike (about 3wks ago), they handed me only the manual. i was a little shocked bc my other bike i had purchased from them had a whole bag of goodies. and this one cost alot more, ha. so i asked them. "is there anything else that is included with the bike? manuals, sag meter or instructions/descriptions regarding the components?" so they went looking under the counter. came back and gave me the all the manuals, CD from specialized, tubeless stems, extra spacers/washers for diff pedals and a few decals. also went the extra mile and copied a page from their workbook regarding setting up the shock properly (autosag). pretty suh weet.

never hurts to ask.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you did very good. I did get all the brochures and the cd, useless and decals that I don't plan on using but no stems.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I got the bag of goodies. 2013 stumpy evo. Tubeless stems were included. Genuine Stan's units. Was happy to see that. Most of the other stuff was manuals, stickers, reflectors, and plastic brake pad fillers. I'd guess most shops are just pocketing the stuff as most customers may not need, ask, or be interested in them.

Thirsty
    I bought my 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 about a month ago and yes, the wheels were all taped up and ready to go. When I asked the shop if they would sell me some tubeless valve stems, they just gave them to me. They do not have a removable core like the Stan's valve stems, but they work just fine. I'm not sure if this was the shop being nice since I just spent over $3k, or if these stems came from Specialized with the bike.

I Ride Bikes
    I'm going to ask my LBS tomorrow. Let's see what happens.

NotoriousMHz
    My 2012 Epic Expert did come with the specialized tubeless stems. But I decided to go with Stans since they have the removable cores.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My 2012 Stumpy FSR Expert came with the two tubeless valve stems in the little bag that the owners manual came in. I installed them before I left the shop converting the tires tubeless and they worked great. My 2012 Epic Comp Carbon didn't come with the tubeless stems but my LBS hooked me up because I converted them tubeless before I left the shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i think it depends on the LBS. i am assuming from some peoples experiece, they are suppose to come with your bike in the owner's manual bag. but when i purchased my 2012 stumpy, i did not receive a bag rather just the booklet in bag with my receipt and pedals that i bought. before i left out the door, the sales man told me to hold on and he gave me two stems, zip ties, extra chain tension guard, and caliper clips. guess it might just depend on where you go.

I Ride Bikes
    UPDATE: So I went down to my LBS about a week ago and asked about the tubeless stems. At first the owner thought I got them already, but I told him that i never recieved them. It said it was odd because he thought all the higher end Specialized bikes came with a set of tubeless stems. He said he would contact Specialized and ask them about it. Well today I called them up and he said he found the stems. So it looks like the LBS came through with the goods.

So since he found my tubeless stems i believe i will be going tubeless. I still haven't made up my mind yet, but i'm definitely leaning that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The 2013 Stems that came in my SW Epic now have removeable cores and this makes topping up a lot easier.. The 2012's didn't.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, the removeable valve cores are key. Makes 'topping off' much easier for sure!
    MCH Co-Captain

I Ride Bikes
    I have a 2012 so I bet I have the old style stems. How hard is it to to off with the old style stems?

NotoriousMHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I have a 2012 so I bet I have the old style stems. How hard is it to to off with the old style stems?
    The difference would be popping the bead off one side of the rim just enough to pour your sealant in, then pop it back on and seat the bead again. A tubeless stem with a removable valve core allows you to just unscrew the core and inject sealant in thru the stem to top it off. It eliminates having to break the bead.
    Adam Christopher

I Ride Bikes
    Wow, sounds like it would be worth the upgrade to the newer style.

NotoriousMHz
    Its not a necessity at all, but it is more convenient. And you don't need to get the new version of Specialized Tubeless stems with the removable valve core, other manufactures also make them that may be easier to find. They also make a nifty valve core remover tool that takes up very little space in the bag (but could also just use pliers).

Stans No Tubes 35mm Presta Universal Valve Stem (Carded Pair for Mountain)

Stan's No Tubes Sealant Injector

Stan's No Tubes PRESTA/SCHRADER Valve Core Remover

I hope this helps.
    Adam Christopher