Thread: Tubeless or Not

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Tubeless or Not

Is there anyone riding tubeless with regular tires that can give me some input on any problems that they may have had? I bought a pair of Enduro I9s last year and decided I want to go tubeless but wanted to keep riding the tires that I always run which as far as I know arent made ust (Kenda Blue Gooves 2.35 ).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    TUBELESS is the way to go. IMHO. I've been riding it for about 7 years. First with Stans strips and then to UST rim/UST tire...far superior. If you run just the tape and sealant, make sure the tape is put on correctly. Make sure you run enough pressure in your tire and play with it every ride and find that "sweet spot" as far as PSI. It will take few rides to get it dialed in but when you do, it will be worth it. If you runs strip, it's easy just follow the directions or the video on the website.

Everyone has had various problems here and there, just try it and see if you like it. If you know someone that has set up tubeless before, ask for their help. I find that "Tubeless rookies" don't often know the tricks and tips to get it done right the first time and that is where the frustration lies. No offense, just sayin.

Ride on.

Freedom Isn't Free
    Yes. Ultra light tires will have thinner sidewalls and you may have trouble sealing them. Not impossible though with a little patience. I run Stans sealant and it works great. I have run Stans w/Kenda tires. Follow their directions and you will be good to go. I'd recommend stems w/removable cores so you can use the injector to add new sealant rather than having to unhook the tire. I have not used UST tires.

Setting up tubeless w/sealant can get real messy (seems to always get sealant on the floor)...just warning you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I love my tubeless! Problem I had as a rookie changing my reg tires into tubless was that I was way to picky about sealing it. Took 3 hours the first time, 45mins the 2nd, now I can do it in 10 mins. I use nevegal - The most intimidating thing you'll have to do is drill out the rim valve hole a tiny bit so the rim strip fits flat in it. Be sure to sand the metal smooth with some sandpaper so there are no metal burrs. (this info is all on STan's website). If, after shaking the tire a few times and waiting, it's still leaking, just give it more time. leave it overnight, or try over inflating it, the pressure will force the stan's selant into all those tiny leaks and when you deflate to reg pressure the holes will be gone. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man
    TUBELESS is the way to go. IMHO. I've been riding it for about 7 years. First with Stans strips and then to UST rim/UST tire...far superior. If you run just the tape and sealant, make sure the tape is put on correctly. Make sure you run enough pressure in your tire and play with it every ride and find that "sweet spot" as far as PSI. It will take few rides to get it dialed in but when you do, it will be worth it. If you runs strip, it's easy just follow the directions or the video on the website.

Everyone has had various problems here and there, just try it and see if you like it. If you know someone that has set up tubeless before, ask for their help. I find that "Tubeless rookies" don't often know the tricks and tips to get it done right the first time and that is where the frustration lies. No offense, just sayin.

Ride on.
    No offense taken ! Thats Why Im asking for input! LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the info guys
    My buddy is running tubeless and said he would help me out, if I decide to go tubeless!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There are great set up videos on the No Tubes web site. Check it out all the tricks and tips are there. I have been running with Stan's yellow tape, removable valve core, and nonUST for many years with no problems (although I must admit the first couple times took longer then now). Stan's rims are awesome too, they seem to really hold the tire bead well. Good luck!

I am also running tubeless on the road too, nice road dampening, sorry a little off topic there.