mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Tube length 6 5/8" for FSR XC

I got and FSR XC Expert md. Im getting a new fork that is 6 5/8". Do you guys think this will work with my frame? What type of stem would i need if it does work? Will it affect the headset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    how long is your current tube? I replaced a fork on a Rockhopper that had a longer tube(new fork), so I cut it down to size and had no problems. Also, you need to run the same amount of travel as your current fork to keep the geo the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I purchased a frameset with no forks. So im putting parts together to get started. What size did you cut it down too? I just dont want the fork to be too short where it doesnt have enough grip for the stem and the headset will take away a few mm's.

mtbr member
    Hey Tekno, that seems awfully short for the steerer tube. You'll need to do some math and see how much room you have for adjustments. For example, a size medium frame will have a 110mm head tube. Then you'll have to consider the stack height of the headset and stem. For my medium Epic, it's 110mm headtube, 40mm Thomson and 30mm? King headset. So it's a bit over 7" already. For the best fit, which is top of a RF Deus low riser handlebar to be about even with the top of my saddle, I use two 5mm spacers under the stem. Therefore, my minimum (another 3mm for space between top cap and top of steerer tube) is at least 7.6".

Be real sure before you buy the fork. Better to have extra length so you can play with the stack height to get the perfect fit. Keep in mind that I am more comfortable with even height with the bar and saddle, so if I choose to get different size fork, this would offset the calculations again. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks for the info. I will definitely hav to check the calculation to be sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by imtekno
    thanks for the info. I will definitely hav to check the calculation to be sure.
    Forks are freakin' expensive, so I understand you getting a used, precut one. New forks will generally be 9"-10" long in uncut steerer tubes, and then you (or shop) can cut down to what you need. Again, a little long is way better than a little short. Just don't force yourself to buy just because you're getting a good deal or something.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yea, Im tryin to be cautious about it. Is there a standard length for a stacked headset? or does it vary btw brands??

mtbr member
    I'm sure there's a slight variation in most of them, but can't be too much with the stacked ones. Since you're building your own, take your time and pick a good one.