mtbr member
    Jul 2010

trying to decide

I am going to be upgrading from a hardtail I only bought a couple months ago I feel I have outgrown it already not to mention things are breaking and I do not want to sink money into this.
    Being in the Northeast I ride mostly singletrack that is very rooty and rocky. No real dwonhills but lots of steep short climbs and steep short descents. So something that climbs well is a must. There might also be some drops in my future probably 4ft max.

Any suggestions would be great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Stumpjumper Comp or Expert if you're not ballin' on too small of a budget.

The Camber is also a great bike if you don't want to spend as much Mulah, only it has 20mm less travel than the Stumpy.

The Pitch is a serious budget AM-ish bike.

If you want a RACE XC bike, the Epic is it for you. Perhaps an Epic 29er.

Enduro is way more bike than you need. Haha

Soooo go with a Stumpjumper!

Oh! I forgot to mention there are 29er versions of the Stumpy and the Camber as well!

Just get out there and RIDE some bikes. That's the only other advice I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    the pitch is good the the rocky rooty terrain, climbs like a beast and decends like one. great all mountain bike and when you get to the drops its a great bike for them. both the comp and pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I like the pitch I was just worried about its climbing ability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I called the shop I would be going to and they have a a couple cambers including a 29er. But they also have leftover Medium and Large Fsr XC Comp for a negotiable 1350. Any thoughts on the Fsr XC? Or should I just look at the Camber? They had no stumpys or pitch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    From my experience, I have noticed that bikes shops will often stock the type of bike one should be riding in that area. My local shop, near the bike park and XC trails, has all types of bikes. But where I'm from in FL, I had only noticed mainly hard tails and XC full suspensions. I would suggest you try out the Camber.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

But they also have leftover Medium and Large Fsr XC Comp for a negotiable 1350. Any thoughts on the Fsr XC? Or should I just look at the Camber? They had no stumpys or pitch.
    You should be able to talk them down to 1100-1200 (pre-tax) since they are discountined and replaced by the camber. I don't own a FSR XC but my wife does. I wished the rear shock has propedal because I could see her bobbing uphill but she actually likes it that way.

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedub917
    I called the shop I would be going to and they have a a couple cambers including a 29er. But they also have leftover Medium and Large Fsr XC Comp for a negotiable 1350. Any thoughts on the Fsr XC? Or should I just look at the Camber? They had no stumpys or pitch.
    With How much the Camber is, i would either get the FSR XC Comp or get a Stumpy, i feel if im gonna spend $2k on a specialized FS XC bike, i want to ride out of the shop on a Stumpy.
    Specialized 05 FSR XC Comp: Modded
    Specialized 08 FSR XC Comp: OEM
    Cannondale M700: In pieces

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsD90
    With How much the Camber is, i would either get the FSR XC Comp or get a Stumpy, i feel if im gonna spend $2k on a specialized FS XC bike, i want to ride out of the shop on a Stumpy.
    If the price is right on the Fsr XC then I might have to go for it. The pedal bob scares me coming from a hardtail. Will upgrading the rear shock help any bob? If I do replace the rear shock at some point the website says it is 7.5x1.75 so do I look for something 7.5 long and try to come as close to width as possible?
    Last edited by Joedub917; 10-14-2010 at 03:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    on the camber / stumpy the rear shock can be locked out negating thepedal bob for climbs if needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The climbs are so steep and quick I really don't want to have to stop to lock out my rear shock and loose momentum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You don't have to stop at all. The only thing you have to do it reach down and flip the switch on the shock. Very easy to do while riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Honestly, You should try a Stumpjumper Comp. I was in your exact same boat but with a 2008 Myka Hardtail. It was a nice beginners bike but I had definitely outrode that bike and was doing stuff on it you shouldn't do on a HT. I personally couldn't be more happy with my 2011 Stumpjumper Comp. I was trying to decide between the Camber, Stumpy and the Pitch. I REALLY loved the Pitch, but the down side was that it was quite heavy and would be a struggle to climb with. When I rode the Camber, I quickly found out it wasn't enough bike for me. Then I rode the Stumpjumper which is a nice equal medium and perfect for me right now. I really hope I helped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I called again and he said they have a Med and LG 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp and they are selling them for $2050 whcih seems like a good deal seeing as MSRP is $2400. Does that sound like a decent deal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think so! Try it out man! Let us know how you like it and/or what you decide to get!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Such a tough choice. It is going to be really hard to pass on the fsr xc if I can talk them down to 1100-1200 range. Hard to justify 800-900 bucks more for the Stumpy with sales tax and what not. Plus I have to get a shock pump and will probably buy other stuff while I am there.

I am going to try and go up Sunday and see what happens. I will probably ride them both and if the Stumpy absolutely floors me I might have to take the plunge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If the price is right on the Fsr XC then I might have to go for it. The pedal bob scares me coming from a hardtail. Will upgrading the rear shock help any bob? If I do replace the rear shock at some point the website says it is 7.5x1.75 so do I look for something 7.5 long and try to come as close to width as possible?
    The FSR XC Pro comes with a rear shock with ProPedal. I have a '10 Stumpy Elite and the rear shock is under the top tube. Even in that location, I feel it's scary to descend a steep hill, look down to switch over from ProPedal to Open. At least with ProPedal, the rear suspension is still working until it flatens out and I can switch it over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I called again and he said they have a Med and LG 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp and they are selling them for $2050 whcih seems like a good deal seeing as MSRP is $2400. Does that sound like a decent deal?
    IMO, For that amount, I would call around to see if anyone has a 2010 Stumpy Elite (not a Brain bike like a 2011). I paid $2100 (pre-tax) and it comes with a Talas RL which allows me to adjust 100 mm for hill climbs, 120 mm for ?? and 140 mm for descend.

BTW, my wife's '10 FSR XC Comp $1150 (pre-tax) and my '10 Stumpy Elite $2100 (pre-tax) were bought less then 2 months ago. Bay Area tax rate is 9.25% so our finial cost could be a little higher. Just to give you an idea regarding the prices out there for closed-out 2010 models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah we paid $2100 for the '11 Stumpy Comp so that's a fair price. I would definitely recommend the Stumpy over the FSR XC if you're considering ANY freeride style of riding if those are your two choices. 140mm is so much better than 120mm. You may not think so, but once you get on them, you'll figure it out quickly.
    Last edited by AlpineE30M52; 10-14-2010 at 07:21 PM.