Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Is it true that Specialized has their panties in a bunch?

Check this story out. I hope they are joking. The horst link deal is annoying but this is pathetic:

http://bikeportland.org/2006/01/31/s...-on-stumptown/

No Specialized products for me....

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo

No Specialized products for me....

Jaybo
    Your loss.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Not really..

The only Specialized products that really excite me are some of their gloves. Otherwise, pretty mundane products.

Jaybo

Neg reppers r my biatches
    you are indeed a pot stirrer sir!

mtbr member
    different deparments are like that. idc about the name, it's just that they make great bikes. it's stupid that they do that, but the people who are doing that prolly either do not ride bikes, and they didn't make the bikes i that i like.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    good tires Jay......IMHO, but that is it for me. Back in the day, I loved the S-Works FSR but given the choices now and relative pricing, nah

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Guilty as charged :)

I'm sick of Specialized! Bully on the corner with Pacific Rim bikes. The HL thing has hurt the whole industry. Now, this crap....

Their tires are good. They have some good products and bikes but they suck! I'm hoping the owner will wake up and realize we are all in this industry together and quit his bullying nonsense.

Jaybo

PS I still have not bought a SS. Sick dog is taking my money...

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I'm sick of Specialized! Bully on the corner with Pacific Rim bikes. The HL thing has hurt the whole industry. Now, this crap....

Their tires are good. They have some good products and bikes but they suck! I'm hoping the owner will wake up and realize we are all in this industry together and quit his bullying nonsense.

Jaybo

if you hate Specialized so much , then why are you in the specialized forum?
    also the stumptown stuff is old news, allready been posted and debated to death.
    judging from your avatar you don't believe in patents and think everything anyone invents should be free for the taking?. how does the HL thing hurt the whole industry, specialized bought the patent and will license it to anyone who wants to. If you have better technology use it or put your money where your mouth is and buy it and give it away free. In case you didn't know , if you don't defend your patanted name you lose the exclusive rights to that name. It cost alot of $$ to develop technology and branding and if you think a free for all mentality works best , go check out the no name bikes at wallco from china and see what you get

mtbr member

You are correct Sir!

Well said Dan0 -I agree .

mtbr member

Jaybo

I think it is safe to say that Jaybo is the one with his panties in a bunch.

banned
    The term "Stumptown " is a free term as far as I know.Its not copyrighted. Free to use and copyright as a bike name.

mtbr member
    I'm a pretty big Spec fan myself - and a HUGE fan of the FSR design.
    Has the whole HL patent hurt the industry - hardly.
    Had Specialized not protected the Horst Link pivot, we probably would have every bike company out there produce the same type of FS bike and we wouldn't see any new/breakthrough designs developed. In the end, I think we all come out ahead!

Just look at the new idea's that are out there - Rocky's ETX (formula one), Giant's Miastro, Santa Cruz's hugely popular VPP design... and others

What about rear shock designs too... shock manufacturer's have "stepped-up-to-the-plate" to help bike companies fix/reduce/minimize the flaws in their suspension design = SPV, Propedal, Air Volume adj ... etc
    Sure, you can argue that we would have eventually seen this technology down the road, but I think Spec has forced them to come to this conclusion a lot sooner - like Specialized says... "innovate or die"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

looks like spec won

according to the original posters link, mountain cycle folded. that sucks for them but all those people claiming that stumpjumper and stumptown sound nothing alike seem to be a little off. but all in all a bike is a bike, a name is a name, a product is a product, i buy specialized because it is a solid investment. hard to believe that the person who came up with stumptown never heard of the stumpjumper, he probably should do some more research (better give my props to the geico comercial with the caveman before i get sued...just kidding),

mtbr member
    Didn't you try to get something going on this pathetic topic once already in either Passion or General?

Give it a rest. Go buy some other companies bikes and don't get yourself wound up about this... it has no effect on you. Sheesh.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I know this has beat to death so I'll be brief, but i can't help but share my thoughts (might be due to the beer, not sure).

I love Specialized products, they due the research to make a great product (or buy the rights to someone elses) and the products are on par with or superior to the competition more often than not.

I'm not a fan of the corporate bully mentality that seems to be coming out recently, mostly with teh Stumptown-Stumpjumper issue. I don't see a cyclocross style bike made by a small bike builder as a threat to the Stumpys brand recognition on the trails. Especially since the town the bikes are made in is nicknamed "Stumptown". The HL patent issue I can understand but this Stump name issue is ridiculas. I wish Specialized had left Mountain Cycle alone.

That being said I ride Specialized and use some of their accesories and will continue to as long as the product is as good as it has been in the past.

Some people are just agaist the big guys for the sake of feeling like they are more "in the know" because they don't support the large companies. Silly if you are not giving an honest attempt to evaluate the product. Their loss.

mtbr member

Apple vs. Apple

Have you read about the new battle between Apple (The Beatles) and Apple (computers & Ipod)? They settled a lawsuit years ago but the Beatles organization is renewing the battle, claiming Ipod music sales breaks the agreement. To me, this is more fuzzy than the Stumptown issue by far.