mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Trigger Pulled! S-works HT on the way.

I've been mulling over the choice of getting a new carbon Stumpjumper S-works frameset or complete bike for a while now. For the longest time, they only had complete bikes in my size (19) and I was almost ready to pull the trigger one it. Then, stopped by the shop just to see how many were left in stock. Low and behold they had *2* framesets in stock, they didn't have any two days ago. So, long story short.... pulled the trigger on the frameset. I have too many nice parts already to justify getting the complete (although I wanted it!)

Now, I just have to settle on a few new parts (mainly fork and crankset). I was thinking about getting the E100 fork for it, since I prefer 100mm travel on my 26" bikes. But, Specialized said that would void the warranty on the frame if I ordered it with my frame. I thought that was a bit strange. But, they claim they only authorize a 10% increase in travel over "stock". That would mean a 99mm fork would be fine... but the 100mm is over the line. Sounds pretty stupid to me. I'll prolly just get get S90 so I don't have to worry about it down the road.

Cranks: I really want to get the Specialized cranks... but of course they are out of stock on the 175mm ones. So I'm just going to run my XTR's with the adapter bearings until they come back in stock.

Pretty excited to have a 26" HT again. This past year I was racing a Yeti ASR full suspension bike and a Niner EMD (both 22lbs). Hopefully the frame will be in sometime next week!

gone for a bike ride
    nice one! funny/not funny about the warranty with the mm longer travel fork, 100mm could be perfect

ima tad jealous me, after my last bank account busting FS build i'm on an enforced bike building hiatus till i get my mits on a S-Works Hardtail in 29" flavour maybe 18 months from now if i'm lucky...

the S-Works 175mm cranks were back in-stock on the website last week for a few days but now out again already

...post pics!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    I've been mulling over the choice of getting a new carbon Stumpjumper S-works frameset or complete bike for a while now. For the longest time, they only had complete bikes in my size (19) and I was almost ready to pull the trigger one it. Then, stopped by the shop just to see how many were left in stock. Low and behold they had *2* framesets in stock, they didn't have any two days ago. So, long story short.... pulled the trigger on the frameset. I have too many nice parts already to justify getting the complete (although I wanted it!)

Now, I just have to settle on a few new parts (mainly fork and crankset). I was thinking about getting the E100 fork for it, since I prefer 100mm travel on my 26" bikes. But, Specialized said that would void the warranty on the frame if I ordered it with my frame. I thought that was a bit strange. But, they claim they only authorize a 10% increase in travel over "stock". That would mean a 99mm fork would be fine... but the 100mm is over the line. Sounds pretty stupid to me. I'll prolly just get get S90 so I don't have to worry about it down the road.

Cranks: I really want to get the Specialized cranks... but of course they are out of stock on the 175mm ones. So I'm just going to run my XTR's with the adapter bearings until they come back in stock.

Pretty excited to have a 26" HT again. This past year I was racing a Yeti ASR full suspension bike and a Niner EMD (both 22lbs). Hopefully the frame will be in sometime next week!
    Congradulations on the purchase.... I just got mine, 2010 SW Stumpy HT frame w/ S-90 fork and built it up using all the XX components except for the cranks which is the S-Works MTB crankset.. Still waiting for the XX/Truvativ spider/chainrings to come out for my SW Epic and for the SW Stumpy HT... I would send some pics but always have trouble downloading them on here. Send some when you get a few ok.. Thanks in advance!

Religion = Non-thinking
    can we get a spec list for what you'll build this bike with?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sure thing:

Sram X0 twist shifters
    X0 RD mid cage
    XTR front der (might try a Force with a Speen adapter)
    XTR cranks (26/40 rings) Until the S-works ones come in stock
    Magura Marta SL brakes
    Ultegra 10 speed chain
    XTR 11-32 cassette
    CB 4Ti pedals

Stan's Olympic rims, revo spokes, Chris King hubs
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25" Evo tires

Thomson Masterpiece post
    Syntace F109 stem
    Syntace Duralite carbon flat bar
    ESI Chunky grips (white)
    Selle Italia SLR saddle (white)

Still not sure about the fork. I have been getting some mixed info from Specialized on the whole warranty/length thing. I'd really rather have a 100mm fork. We'll see though. I might be able to get a Magura Durin SL with a tapered steerer tube.

gone for a bike ride
    great build choices

if your running 2 rings the Sram Force FD + (new improved) Speen adapter could be #1 choice, the XTR DMD FD on an S-Works frame weighs about 128g

been very happy with the performance/weight of Yumeya SP-81 derailleur cables + Power Cordz, just as slick as the Gore Ride-On they replaced + masses lighter. but only place i could find them was chainreactioncycles and i needed 2 kits to go full length so not cheap. Nino on weight weenies has some mini i-links instock if you wanted the worlds lightest cable housing he has the best price for them anywhere

treefortbikes currently have the best price on KMC X10 SL TiN chains, my last 09 KMC x10 chain weighed 231g - with a less chain stressing 2 ring set-up they might be perfect

good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just got the call that the frame is at the shop! Gonna have to sneak down there after lunch and take a peak. Still haven't ordered a fork yet though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Got to look at the frame after work and put it on the scale. Looks amazing, that's for sure! I'll snap a couple pics tomorrow. Weight was a little disapointing, 1300 grams for a 19" with: seat post clamp, chainstay protector, bottle bolts, der hanger. But, I know it will ride great and still build a really light bike.

Now I just have to get a fork!

gone for a bike ride
    great news, why didn't you bring it home with you?

your still on target for a cracking weight: 2010 QR seatclamp is 44g, 2010 plastic chainstay protector 42g, miscy BC bolts and cable guide bolts are 8g - ditch all that for lighter gear and your quids in

just dropped some coin today on a CarbonTi 2x9 Ti chainring kit for my own S-Works MTB crankset in 40/26, they will also fit an XTR M970 so might get the 36/24 kit for the mrs when her Q-Rings eventually wear out. CarbonTi are also doing a speen adapter now appropriately out of Ti so should be really strong

what fork are you going to get?

the new ZTR Alpine rims are just 330g each (amazing) we have some Podium MMX on order from France @ 285g-290g for a final weenie wheel build
    Last edited by culturesponge; 01-05-2010 at 08:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's staying at the shop until the fork comes in.

Mine has a bolt on seat clamp.... so I'm sure it is a bit lighter than the QR one. But, I have a KCNC that I can put on there. I also didn't know the protector on the chain stay was so heavy. Oh well... I think it looks cool and it gives excellent coverage.

I'm using an XTR crank until the S-works come back in stock.

My wheels already have the 345 gram Olympics, so I don't think it is worth rebuilding the wheels. Maybe after this season they will need a rebuild.
    Last edited by briscoelab; 01-07-2010 at 11:22 AM.

gone for a bike ride
    correct, 2010 S-Works seatpost clamp is a portly 20g or 18g with a Ti bolt

well anyway, good luck on your build - its going to fly compared to your old Yeti

Oz
    mtbr member
    Where are the pics?

mtbr member
    Man, that's really cool! Yup, post pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sorry for the lack of pics guys. It's staying at the shop until my fork comes in. Specialized gave the go ahead on the E100 fork... so I'm getting that one. I'm used to 100mm forks on all my XC bikes. Plus, the Specialized quoted geometry is for an unsagged 90mm fork.... so this will help slacken things just a tad to what I consider more typical XC geometry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    Sure thing:

Sram X0 twist shifters
    X0 RD mid cage
    XTR front der (might try a Force with a Speen adapter)
    XTR cranks (26/40 rings) Until the S-works ones come in stock
    Magura Marta SL brakes
    Ultegra 10 speed chain
    XTR 11-32 cassette
    CB 4Ti pedals

Stan's Olympic rims, revo spokes, Chris King hubs
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25" Evo tires

Thomson Masterpiece post
    Syntace F109 stem
    Syntace Duralite carbon flat bar
    ESI Chunky grips (white)
    Selle Italia SLR saddle (white)

Still not sure about the fork. I have been getting some mixed info from Specialized on the whole warranty/length thing. I'd really rather have a 100mm fork. We'll see though. I might be able to get a Magura Durin SL with a tapered steerer tube.
    what brand rings do you have and where did you get them? i have been looking for a 40t ramped 4 bolt ring for a bit...

thanks and your build it pretty bangin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Rings are TA. I got them from Starbike in Germany.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sorry for the delay in getting some pics taken. Just got the thing put together in semi final form.

Things that still need to change:

1.Rocket Ron front tire later in the summer once trails dry up. This will save about 100 grams over the 2010 Nobby Nic that's on there now, although the Nic is a sweet tire.

2. F109 Stem for the F119 that's on there now. This just hasn't show up yet.

3. Maybe a SpeedNeedle saddle down the road.

4. I ended up just using an XT cassette I had laying around. Couldn't justify the expense.

5. Starbike sent me the wrong size outer ring... so I'm using a 42T until they sort it out and get me the right sized one.

6. Decided to try out some XX brakes and an XX front der. Seem to be great.

Weight came in at 19.1lbs with pedals and cage. Actually a bit lighter than I expected, given the heavier front tire and XT cassette.

Pics:

mtbr member
    that is a very nice looking bike. I have the 29er sworks version, you will love it. Mine weighed 21.0 out of the box with cb pedals.

mtbr member
    Nice bike - If there was ever an argument to go back to a hardtail, Thats it!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Also, did splurge for some new wheels. Black King hubs laced to ZTR Alpines, silver revos, red nipples. They came in at 1470 grams. About the same as myold King/Olympics, but are new and shiny