mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Triad Leak When Connecting Pump?

Hi, I have an '06 Stumpy and last week I wanted to pump up the amount of air in my Triad (I may have gained a few lbs in the offseason) and noticed two things when I connected my shock pump:
    1) The pressure valve on the shock pump shows the pressure drop fairly quickly while the pump is attached
    2) When I remove the shock pump I notice and oily fluid seeping from the Triad air valve.

Neither of which happened last year when I would change the air pressure in my Triad from time to time. Once I remove the pump the shock seems to retain the air I pumped into it and generally functions OK.

This is using a wrench force shock value I got when I purchased my bike last year. Is there a problem with my pump, or worse, my shock??

thanks
    DP

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004
    it can be "normal" for some slimy blue/green colored fluid to escape thru the schrader valve-it's only the float seal fluid that lubricates the seals.

Ensure that the valve is tight on the shock housing, and that the pump is securely threaded on to it. The rapid air loss with the pump attached is interesting. You say the shock does hold air ?

Make sure that if the pump has a air bleed button on it, that it is not stuck in. You should always check your shock psi before every ride. Try a buddies pump. or make a trip to your fav local shop to double check.

Good Luck, probably time for an air sleeve service. It's a simple DIY project, or can be performed by any decent shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thanks for the suggestions. i wouldn't say the air loss is "rapid" but it is fairly quick ... could probably drop from 200 psi where i keep it down to 100 in a minute or so...

mtbr member
    rapid air loss is something to watch...however losing a few lbs of pressure when disconnecting the pump is normal.