mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Triad on 2008 Stumpjumper

I've read the older posts on upgrading from the Triad to RP23 for 06 and 07 models but I'm interested in knowing what the performance of the Triad is on the 08 models. Same as before or improvements? There seem to be several owners of 08 Comps and Elites out there.

I also got a hold of the 2008 owners manual and it lists the shock measurements as 7.25" eye-to-eye x 1.75" stroke. That's different than previous year's 7.5" x 1.75". Maybe ordering Cannondale Rush RP23's is no longer an option? Why does Specialized make so many custom parts for their bikes?!

mtbr member
    It wasn't an option for the 2007 model either, however geeride7 and I believe another person are using a standard size shock to work with it. It does allow for more travel, so that might cause a warranty issue. One option could be to have it modified so the stroke isn't so long if that's an issue for you.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

apparently the 07 was ok?

many here have said the 05 Triad was good, many liked the 07 also. Maybe the pig in the poke was the 06? I replaced my 06 Triad with an RP23 from a CDale Rush, and it's the best bike money I ever spent, honestly.

I hope for Specialized's sake, they finally got the Triad figured out. Good Luck!

mtbr member

08 Triad is pretty good

I have the 08 Elite and have been very happy with the Triad so far. I'm coming off a 2004 SJ w/Triad and have also owned a Trance with the RP3. The 08 Triad does perform better overall than the 2004 and so far I haven't had any problems. I plan to run it for a year or so and look to Push for an upgrade.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco94
    I have the 08 Elite and have been very happy with the Triad so far. I'm coming off a 2004 SJ w/Triad and have also owned a Trance with the RP3. The 08 Triad does perform better overall than the 2004 and so far I haven't had any problems. I plan to run it for a year or so and look to Push for an upgrade.
    ditto..

I'm also pretty satisfied with the Triad on my 08 Elite. Been riding it pretty hard and it's been good.

Push does offer a tune for Triad's, but only for Triad's that are 6.5" x1.5". So it's not an option at this point in time...

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    One of the shop guys at the LBS said that a tech rep told him that the 08 Triad had been re-valved for the new shock location, but it had also been changed based on the kind of work that Push and other modifiers had been doing.

Somebody must be reading these forums after all! If they experimented with some of the things that folks like Push have been doing to improve on their designs, then the new stuff should perform pretty well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

AFR to Triad

Would a TRIAD also work on a 2008 Stumpjumper Pro Aluminium Frame instead of the AFR Brain combination?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by magdaddy
    many here have said the 05 Triad was good, many liked the 07 also. Maybe the pig in the poke was the 06? I replaced my 06 Triad with an RP23 from a CDale Rush, and it's the best bike money I ever spent, honestly.

I hope for Specialized's sake, they finally got the Triad figured out. Good Luck!
    Actually the 05 is worse than the 06. Modifications were made to the 05 design to create the 06. From the few complaints about the 07, it might be completely different internally.

As far as the custom sizing, that is one reason I won't purchase another Specialized. Check the Turner forums sometime. They have 5-Spots that range from weight-weenie builds to heavy-duty trail bike builds. I love my RP23 on the Stumpy but if someone really wanted to build a trail bike, there are no options. A bike with only one shock option is not good IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I did the RP23 upgrade on my 2006 and it was money well spent in my opinion. I also sent my old Triad in for repair. It shot all its oil all over my frame and was the motivating factor for my upgrade. I did ride the Triad when it came back from repair. I probably only rode it for a couple of weeks before mounting up the RP23, but I will say that the repaired Triad seemed to perform much better than the original ever did. I wish I knew what they did when the repaired the Triad. Maybe they replaced the internals with a newer version which is valved differently or something.