mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Trance 1 Vs Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Hey guys,

Here's my dilemma. I'm looking to buy my first soft tail and I've narrowed it down to the Giant Trance 1/2 or the Stumpjumper FSR Expert. My problem is that I live in Norway and I'm looking to get my dad to bring one back from the states. I.E It's difficult to test ride either one, as it's winter over here and very few bike shops have anything of interest available. What are your reccomendations regarding my choice? I need some serious help, aas I only have 3 days to decide.

I know the Expert comes with the brain for the first time, which, as far as I understand solves alot of the bobbing issues, but then again, the Trance has gotten heaps of great reviews.

P.S I weigh in at 190 pounds and is 6'4, so I think I would have to go with the 22" (XL for Specialized). Does this sound right?

mtbr member

stumpy

i just sold my 05 trance 2 and replaced it with an 05 stumpy expert no brain but 07 rp23 the trance is heavier but pedals very well no bob and it doesn't need a lock out i like the stumpy for the extra travel and adjustable fork it weighs less than the trance 2 and corners better it has better brakes now if you get the brain theres no contest that one will do everething better

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I'm also 6'4 and ride an XL Stumpjumper Expert with the brain shock. You can't go wrong with the SJ. I have ridden a friend's Trance and liked the ride, but it doesn't handle as well as the SJ at speed. I think the SJ's handling is more neutral and it feels more balanced. The SJ really carves turns, has a more stable feel and feels like it tracks better. Not sure of the geometry, but the Trance feels like it has a steeper head angle and requires more attention at speed.

Keep in mind that the range of adjustment on the brain allows you to dial down the pedalling platform for rougher down hill sections and dial in more efficiency for more racey rides. The Talas fork matches this adjustment range with it's range of travel.

Both are great bikes, but I'd give the nod to the SJ.

Weekend Warrior

Trance

It's funny, if you asked the same question in the Giant forum they'd all say trance as well. Anyway, I was also in your position, and I went for the Trance. I liked the remote lockout on the Reba shock and the 2007 X9 drivetrain. I thought they were pretty similar in weight, however anyone can see that the majority of the Trance's weight is low and centered (with the virtual pivot point) so I feel it handles better because of this. I think they're both great bikes and I have ridden both on technical single track, but I just think the Trance is a bit snappier and more responsive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    they both are are killer bikes. I ride an SJ FSR Pro 120 2005 (pushed Septune, no lockout, +Talas in front) and my friend have the Trance1 2005
    I will he has a little notch on me when climbing or when we go at a race pace. but I have a little more travel and in fast and technical section I beat him by very little. I prefer the SJ because of MY style of riding. I like to do more jump and drop than my friend and that's explain our choice of bike. Again, they are awesome bike, you can go wrong with either one!