Uphill isn't a sport!!

Trail SX: more AM or DH?

I want the Trail SX Style frame. I've been searching for an older Enduro Pro that shares the same frame design as the Trail SX. However, today I found a deal on Craigslist on a Large Trail SX identical to this here:
    http://www.eastsidefreeride.com/stil...s/SX_trail.jpg

And after reading this review:
    http://www.eastsidefreeride.com/esfr...ory.php?id=317

Im unsure wether this bike would be suited for me. Im more of an All Mountain rider than Downhill. Im curious how well that rear shock & fork combo will work on the flat stuff and the uphill?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    its considered a light free ride / light down hill bike. meaning its a little heavy for AM but will take a beating. depending on how much weight you wanna save, it should be ok for AM. IMO

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Yeah i think, from my research, the SX Trail is at 39lbs and the Enduro is at 32. Thats quite a bit of wieght. The craigslist ad has the SX trail for $1350 and that is a deal Im not sure if I can pass it up. I found a Enduro Pro for $1750, but its a 2hr drive away.... and $250 past my budget. But its such a badass bike... Just wondering if I will be dissapointed with the SX as I try to climb uphill.

mtbr member
    You can build the SX Trail into an Enduro baiting 32-33lb. Perfect for AM if needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    not too sure, havent ridden an sx before. ive heard stories of guys being able to keep up with XC guys on and sx but everyone is different. if an enduro is what you are really looking for, you should just bite the bullet and go the extra 2hr and extra $250 to get what you want. from my experience, whenever i wanted something and i ended up buying a cheaper version, i ended up selling it for the one i wanted in the end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the frame weight difference is like a pound. And you can get a different shock shuttle that will fit the SXT and be a travel reducer. It will probably even steepen/raise the BB which will be nice for AM. Basically, go for it!

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Linga115
    its considered a light free ride / light down hill bike. meaning its a little heavy for AM but will take a beating. depending on how much weight you wanna save, it should be ok for AM. IMO

Na is toted as a Freeride /light DH. Not light freeride well maybe in 2005 but not after . If it was light freeride then how come Darren and the other pros rip on them and do HUGE stuff.

Mine weighs 37lbs plus I have had it down to 34lbs with a strong build, anyways it serves as my xc/all mt/ freeride and light DH bike. I have also owned the same style enduro and my sxtrail far out performs it in every aspect including climbing.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As someone already stated, the SX Trail is a more of a Freeride bike. It's in between the Enduro SL and the Demo 7. You can replace parts to make the SXT more AM than FR, but you might as well drive the 2 hours and get the other Enduro if you're going to invest more money in the SXT to lighten it up. In other words, you're going to spend way more than the $400 price difference to try to lose 6 pounds on the SXT.

I have the Enduro SL and a buddy has the SXT. The difference is huge. Personally, I would rather have the lighter version of the Enduro, b/c this bike is all I need for my ability. And lighter means easier climbing (captain obvious here). But I'm also not doing the same stunts and drops on my bike that my friend is doing on the SXT. It really just depends on your riding style.

dirt visionary
    Sorry I should have looked at the picture. THAT 2005 Sxtrail is indeed light freeride and it is the same exact frame as the enduro . That being said IMO $1350 is not a bad price but I would take the pro enduro over THAT year sxtrail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    my 08 sx trail 2 is stock, ive actually made it heavier by putting a downhill tube and a 2.5 dual ply maxis high roller in the back, i have no problems climbing with it, i can keep up with the xc bikes on some xc group rides that i go for, the weight hits me on the flats though, on long flat rides those xc bikes are gone i cant keep up the same pace,

i love my sx but you may also want to check out the giant reign x which is in the same niche as the sx trail, ive never even seen one in real life but according to the general population of pinkbike its the greatest bike in the history of the universe the way they rant and rave about it!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 2005 SX Trail. It is more freeride than AM--it's heavy. It's the exact same frame as the Enduros that year so the parts is what makes the difference. Things to consider: The Large frame that year is, well, Large. Unless your over 6'2" or so I'd get a Medium instead. Keep an eye on the non-drive-side chainstay--they are notorious for cracking at the yoke. The 5th coil--unless you got a good one--is problematic as well. Other than that, it's a nice bike.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    I have a 2005 SX Trail. It is more freeride than AM--it's heavy. It's the exact same frame as the Enduros that year so the parts is what makes the difference. Things to consider: The Large frame that year is, well, Large. Unless your over 6'2" or so I'd get a Medium instead. Keep an eye on the non-drive-side chainstay--they are notorious for cracking at the yoke. The 5th coil--unless you got a good one--is problematic as well. Other than that, it's a nice bike.

Really? its that big? My current bike is a Large so I've been shopping for another Large. Ive passed on a few Medium frames, but knowing that now... maybe I will reconsider. Anyone else here feel the same? Im 5' 11" about 170lbs (okay, maybe 190 ).

I have a friend with a Giant, and he's been trying to sell me on the Reign. But Im in love with that Frame. I got the check for the new bike, so Im shopping like crazy right now.

Thanks again for everyones input.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie
    Really? its that big? My current bike is a Large so I've been shopping for another Large. Ive passed on a few Medium frames, but knowing that now... maybe I will reconsider. Anyone else here feel the same? Im 5' 11" about 170lbs (okay, maybe 190 ).

I have a friend with a Giant, and he's been trying to sell me on the Reign. But Im in love with that Frame. I got the check for the new bike, so Im shopping like crazy right now.

Thanks again for everyones input.
    Medium it is. I am 5'11" as well and around 190 and that's what I ride. My hardtale is actually Small!!! But is a Haro. I bought it cause it was so cheap and is such a great condition. Manoeuvrability is great on the small frame for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 6', 160lbs and the Medium is fine. I sat on a Large and it was way too stretched out. The guy who had it wished he had a medium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Get a newer Sx T if you can. '06 or later. im 5'9 and my '08 medium is goldielocks. get one and you wont care about xc/am/dh and fr. you will only care about going fast on a fun fuking bike.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Yeah ive been lookin for a '06+ medium frame. Not many to be found here in NorCal, expecially in my price range.

Found a few on the east side Ive emailed on. Not sure if the owners are willing to ship to this coast... We'll see.

dirt visionary
    There was one on craigslist here in Phx in the last month . Can't remember price or size but it was the baby blue

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    look at mtbr classifieds for a 07 medium asking 2k that is 127 miles from santa cruz ca

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    I found one in PA on craigslist. Going to talk to him and see what it will cost to ship my way.

The bike Im lookin for at the price i want.... so we'll see

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FYI, the sizes changed a bit after '05. They run smaller now. Make sure you get what you need.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    Well the craigslist ad in PA turned out to be a scam. But, i found this on eBay and plan on paying for it next week:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123

Told the seller I will send payment when he supplies pictures of the bike with the new parts installed. Through communcation the guy seems legit and I think i got a pretty good deal.

More to come when its sitting in my garage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Na is toted as a Freeride /light DH. Not light freeride well maybe in 2005 but not after . If it was light freeride then how come Darren and the other pros rip on them and do HUGE stuff.

Mine weighs 37lbs plus I have had it down to 34lbs with a strong build, anyways it serves as my xc/all mt/ freeride and light DH bike. I have also owned the same style enduro and my sxtrail far out performs it in every aspect including climbing.
    Hey Clockwork,
    I am looking for a freeride/lite downhill rig and came across a 2nd hand 06Enduro Sworks. The frame is similar but not exactly the same to the 08 SX Trail. It's been upgraded to a DHX 5 Coil though.
    Question: is the 06 frame still worth the buy at half the price of a new SX Trail? You've made me think after reading your comment on it being no where near the performance of the new frame. If the difference in performance is that much than I should just bite the bullet? ..Cheers!

dirt visionary
    Well it depends on how smooth you are. . Just remember the headtube and BB forging aren't in the cobra forging so its not as strong as a sxtrail.Plus it has a longer top tube ,slacker seat angle and a lower BB than the sxtrail. The longer top tube will help when downhilling but will hinder freeride performance. Most freeride bikes are designed to have the rider more upright with things more compact vs. xc/allmountain rig that have the rider streched out more which is better for that type of riding.

I trully loved my enduro but when freeriding the geo just wasn't quite right . Yes it worked but now that I have had over a year on a sxtrail I am very glad I made the change. The sxtrail feels better while in the air and on the ground than my enduro did in any aspect.The enduro always had a light twitchy feeling while on DH's and while jumping.

Just before I sold my enduro I took it out to ride it like I do my sxtrail. I was able to do everything that I could on the sx but it took more effort and there was alot of sketch factor on landings and rough DH sections.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Well it depends on how smooth you are. . Just remember the headtube and BB forging aren't in the cobra forging so its not as strong as a sxtrail.Plus it has a longer top tube ,slacker seat angle and a lower BB than the sxtrail. The longer top tube will help when downhilling but will hinder freeride performance. Most freeride bikes are designed to have the rider more upright with things more compact vs. xc/allmountain rig that have the rider streched out more which is better for that type of riding.

I trully loved my enduro but when freeriding the geo just wasn't quite right . Yes it worked but now that I have had over a year on a sxtrail I am very glad I made the change. The sxtrail feels better while in the air and on the ground than my enduro did in any aspect.The enduro always had a light twitchy feeling while on DH's and while jumping.

Just before I sold my enduro I took it out to ride it like I do my sxtrail. I was able to do everything that I could on the sx but it took more effort and there was alot of sketch factor on landings and rough DH sections.
    Thanks for your prompt response. I just check my lbs and they have sold the last Med 08 SX Trail. They only have a Small 08 SXT.
    That's what happens when we shop around for bargains..

I have a Yeti 575 set up for all mountain and it has an effective top tube length of 22.8" (Stem@90mm) and I really like it.
    Based on my experience, I think the Med SXT would have been perfect (TT 22.8"). The Small 08SXT has a TT length of 21.9. Since I have never setup a bike for lite freeride/DH, I can't say for sure if the small is the wrong size for me. I read somewhere here that you are also 5'7", correct me if I'm wrong....
    BTW, I'm 5'7" and 65kg with average proportion....which means i don't have arms of an ape nor do i have arms of a T-Rex!
    Question: Would the Small 08 fit me? What size 08 SXT do you have?

The Med Enduro 06 on offer has a long TT length of 23.5". I guess that's too long for freeride stuff....hmmm? I could run a short stem and still get away with it though.
    Last edited by Pandora's Box; 07-03-2008 at 09:06 AM.

dirt visionary
    I have a medium and I am 5'7" but I have long arms . The small was too cramped for me. On my med enduro I ran a 50mm stem which helped and also ran my seat forward a bit.

However there is a local guy with a small and he is the same height as me but to him my bike is too big so its comes down to preference in the end . I say the medium enduro with 50mm stem would fit better than the small sxt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The only way to get a feel for size is to try it out yourself. I'm about 6" taller than you and I'm riding a medium SXT. I tried out the large and it was definitely too stretched out for what I was looking for. Remember you can always run an offset post to get a little more room for pedaling.

dirt visionary
    Yeah I owned a large also way too big for me .

mtbr member
    thanks for the input.....

Members who have read this thread: 0