Thread: Toupe Saddle?

mtbr member

Toupe Saddle?

How is the durability & comfort of the Toupe saddle off road?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Very good, I'm using the white version and dirty is easy to remove with water. The comfort of the saddle is also amazing, it's a hard saddle but still comfortable.

The Other Dude
    I have been running one on my epic since the middle of last season and i love it. I have the black one, and all red the paint and such is wearing, but i pretty much expected it. Hands down, i love it, and its super comfortable.....yes its hard, but it fits me just right, and i have no complaints doing long rides on it, prefer it over the Rival SL i had before. I has also handled a few over the bar crashes with out any tears, and it still holding up great.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. Are you guys running the Gel or the regular?

The Other Dude
    i have the regular
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jut, why did you switch from your rsl? And, is it more comfrotable, errr?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    i have the regular
    Me too

@ Jacobus: ik gebruik de gewone versie, niet de gel. ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orson
    Me too

@ Jacobus: ik gebruik de gewone versie, niet de gel. ;-)
    @ Orson: dank u mijn vriend

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Jut, why did you switch from your rsl? And, is it more comfrotable, errr?

Well a Toupe came on my Tarmac, and i loved it for long rides and such, so i figured i would give it a try on the epic since it was so nice, and i love it on the epic too. I moved my rsl over to my sx trail.

mtbr member
    I have the toupe team on my road bike and really like it. I should move it to my mountain bike but I had my road bike professional fitted so it fits like a glove right now. Don't want to mess up the mojo.

I do race the mountain bike so I should switch it. I have the Rival with Ti rails now, so it's not a huge weight savings but anything counts when your on mile 20, 90 degree weather and facing 15 degree hill 300 yards long.

mtbr member
    My problem with the Rival SL is it makes my twig numb when I am in aero position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was having problems with saddles with too much (or any) padding in the nose; I wasn't supporting my weight with my bones, but with my junk. After flipping my stem back up and switching my saddle to a toupe, the problems are solved. The saddle bed deflection concept beats padding hands down. I've got the old black non-gel 130 with the fake carbon print accents.

First post!

Come on, dare me!
    I beg to differ -- got a Toupe Team 143 mm at the beginning of the season and I found it absolutely horrible. After a two hours ride, I got it back to my LBS and put back on my good old Flite Gel Flow -- no comparison. The flatter saddles (like the Toupe and Flite SLRs) don't seem to fit my shape... It's a matter of choice and morphology, of course, but I recommend testing any saddle (when possible) you plan on buying before shelling your hard-earned $$$.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I agree. Totally try it before spending 140 USD on a saddle. And why would there be 100 different saddle manufacturers if saddle fit weren't subjective?

The Other Dude
    My dealer lets you have a 15 day trial period on all saddles they sell, i could be wrong, but i believe specialized allows them to send the back if a customer is unsatisfied with the saddle.

mtbr member
    Do the plastic "things" on the front & back of the saddle get in the way?
    Are they prone to break?

go chase the sunset
    I've a Toupe gel 143. The plastic things are fine in my opinion, I really like the saddle. It's really lightweight, and in my opinion it has just enough padding to be comfortable but not too much so nothing goes numb. Though I'll admit I've no idea how it'd hold up if you did much more than xc with it to be honest.That said, everyone's backside is different, try it in 130 or 143 and see what you think.

J\V
    mtbr member
    I have the Toupe Team on my S-Works Tarmac, and for how spartan it is, I've been impressed by how comfortable it is; no numbness problems whatsoever. I've not yet done any 3 hour rides, so that remains to be seen. That being said, I'm not sure I can imagine banging around on it while perched atop a mountain bike. The black and red version sure would have the 'bling' factor on my Epic Marathon, but I'm not sure it would work for me.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder why they spec the Rival SL in the 130mm width on most of their mountain bikes? I realize that the slimmer profile suits mountain biking due to the on-off/on-off, but if they are so into the Body Geometry concept, it seems to me that a 143mm MTB saddle would be equivalent to a 143mm road saddle. No?
    '12 Santa Cruz Tallboy C w/2015 Crossmax SLs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Zipp 404s

mtbr member
    I tried the Toupe Gel 143 & it wasn't for me. It only felt comfortable in a aerodynamic position & I would get snagged on the rear plastic tips. I went with a Selle Italia XC gel flow until the Phenom comes out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a new S-Works carbon. Tried the Toupe and went back to the Rival SL. The Toupe didn't come close to the RSL for comfort. A lot of guys put on minimalist saddles because they look cool, but they aren't as comfy. I've heard all the theories, and I've tried a lot of superlight saddles in my 20-some years of road and dirt riding, and the bottom line (at least for me) is that the RSL works best on the Epic. It doesn't chafe, and the padding adds a degree of suspension.

mtbr member
    Different saddles for different applications?

I've got a Gel Avatar (not quite as sleek as the Toupe) on my carbon Roubaix Comp. In the more prone, stretched out position, it's very comfortable. I tried a Rival SL on my (now sold) Rockhopper, but didn't like the fit/feel. However, I had my Rockhopper set up like a racer with a setback seatpost, long stem, and flat bars.

Now, on my FSR XC, I've gone to a more upright position, and the Rival SL feels great.

Just my 0.02...
    2015 Specialized FATBOY Easton Carbon Seatpost SRAM X7 Triggers
    2014 Specialized CRUX PRO SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post