mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Touch Up Paint Question

I was under the impression and thought that I had read somewhere that you were supposed to use Enamel paint for touch up work, but Specialized website says to use Acrylic. Have I been using the wrong type paint on my Rockhopper Pro?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just go to your Specialized dealer. They can order the exact color of your bike. I had a scratch on my road bike and it was a perfect match....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I tried that. They said that Specialized doesn't even make or offer touch up paint on the newer models. They supposedly quit offering them a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No one knows if I should be using enamel or acrylic? Or if it doesn't really matter, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    I think that the Mango is such a unique color that it would be difficult (and expensive) to reproduce. Specialized does not offer it for any other bike.

engineer- apparently no one knows the answer to those questions! I would go by the Spec website. Perhaps an autobody shop would know...

Have you been using enamel to touch up your bike? If so how did it turn out?

mtbr member
    I have had various odd colored Specialized bikes. For a mere fraction of what Spech wants for touch up paint (which may not match perfectly), go to the local hobby shop you will find it there. If you are inclined you may mix diff colors or metalflake options. Better yet bring your bike in, show them what you need and they will give advice how to prep if the sections needing touchup.

Bike makers used to ship a tiny bottle of touchup paint with each bike/frame..what happened to that?

Good luck
    C.SPRINGS

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS
    Bike makers used to ship a tiny bottle of touchup paint with each bike/frame..what happened to that?

Good luck
    I believe it went the same route as the car makers who used to give you a little bottle when you bought a new car.

mtbr member
    Just how bad are the chips on the 07 Stumpys? I have had mine for a year and a half and although I have minor scratches here and there, there is nothing that requires touch-up paint.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mine is actually a Rockhopper with the M4 frame but most of my chips have been around the water bottle holders, cable guides, head tube and rear derailluer hanger. Considering that none of them are from actual riding they are a bit irritating.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

Perhaps it is the alloy frame

I wonder if there is a problem more with the M4 frames holding the paint, compared to the M5 and A1s. So far, I have not seen any complaints with the A1 (hardrocks or RH) frames. Could there be a difference in alloy composition between M4 and M5- enough for paint adherence to be noticeable?

mtbr member
    If you take your bike to a paint shop they have a camera that can match your color exactly and they can make ya up a small bottle for $10

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike
    I wonder if there is a problem more with the M4 frames holding the paint, compared to the M5 and A1s. So far, I have not seen any complaints with the A1 (hardrocks or RH) frames. Could there be a difference in alloy composition between M4 and M5- enough for paint adherence to be noticeable?
    I have beaten the crap out of my 06 Stumpjumper Disc hardtail for over a year and there are NO paint chips.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you want to touch your frame up go to a local paint shop or paint supplier they can match the colour for you. Wether you use enamel, acrylic, or a 2 pack is up to you they are all hard wearing but prices vary hugely. Whatever you use bear in mind that it may dry quickly but for any paint to cure properly takes approx 3 days. Ideally strip the frame & get it powder coated in any colour you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfreesteve
    Ideally strip the frame & get it powder coated in any colour you want.
    WITH a company that specialized will endorse that won't void the warranty

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Just how bad are the chips on the 07 Stumpys? I have had mine for a year and a half and although I have minor scratches here and there, there is nothing that requires touch-up paint.
    this just happened today..wondering what i should do as well...i do have some black touch up paint for my suv....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (99.7 KB, 1155 views)

I eat paste....
    My '06 FSR XC Pro was a "test bike" frame that my dealer got for me as an end of year clearance..I was assured it was made to same standards as a production model..its in a medium blue color...anyway,after a half a dozen rides,most of the paint on the headtube is worn down to bare aluminum already from cable rub! Anyone else with this? PS-dealer is having his Specialized rep look at it next week....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpboy
    My '06 FSR XC Pro was a "test bike" frame that my dealer got for me as an end of year clearance..I was assured it was made to same standards as a production model..its in a medium blue color...anyway,after a half a dozen rides,most of the paint on the headtube is worn down to bare aluminum already from cable rub! Anyone else with this? PS-dealer is having his Specialized rep look at it next week....
    A. The paint sucks.
    B. Cable rub will do that to just about any bike with any paintjob, it's just a matter of time.

I put clear bra material for cars on my Stumpy FSR in all contact spots (like the one in the pic above) to deal with this. If you get it warrantied out or some deal, make sure to cover those spots on the next frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Use Automotive Paint

I used the specialized paint for my white 2003 epic pro and the color was a little off. I tried ford white and the match was exact.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

Clear bra material

Student driver-

where do you get the clear material- from any local Auto parts store?

also, will it bubble/peel/etc in time?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike
    Student driver-

where do you get the clear material- from any local Auto parts store?

also, will it bubble/peel/etc in time?
    I got it from a tint shop. As for peeling and bubbling, a couple of friends have it on their cars and they haven't had issues over the last year and half or so using it. I am using the 7-8mil stuff, and that's usually what you see on the front of cars. Sometimes they will use thicker on headlight surfaces.