Rider, Builder, Dreamer

Took the Stumpy Expert Evo downhilling and......

WOW.

A whole big crew of us went to Mountain Creek in Vernon NJ for their opening weekend. 11 people rented; my buddy Paul and I rode our '13 Stumpy Expert EVOs and had a blast.

Mine is stock except I swapped out the Fox 34 TALAS CTD for a Revelation RCT3. His is built from the frame up with 1x10, Zee rear mech, Lyrik, Stan's Flow EX wheels.

I sold my 2010 Remedy and my 2010 Jamis Bam, both of which I built from the frame up, to fund the Stumpy purchase. I had a blast at Mountain Creek, Plattekill, and a couple other places on the Bam and loved my Remedy while I had it. Both the Remedy at the Stumpy are 150 front and rear travel but the Stumpy is longer, lower, slacker, lighter, and stiffer.

Riding my Bam at Mountain Creek I did all of the jump lines at least once (that is, I sent the jumps and actually made the landings) but that's not really my thing. I'll admit that it scares me. That being the case, riding a 150mm trail bike this weekend was an excellent excuse not to send it big on some of the jump lines. That's the only area I felt the smaller bike was holding me back.

On the easier (green and blue) runs the trail bikes were infinitely more fun than a DH bike. We could pedal, pump, and play the entire way down while cruising at mach chicken. Having the lighter bike made it easier to notice potential doubles and manual sections in the runs. Then we went to the back side of the mountain and hit some of the diamond and double diamond tech runs and WOW.

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what bike you're on; there's a certain point past which the only way you can get faster is to just be a little nutzo. Since I am a self-admitted pansy in relation to some of the crazier gravity types, then I probably never pushed my DH bike to its potential on the steep gnarly stuff. That being the case, I know that I was doing some of the technical runs just as fast on my Stumpy than I ever did on the DH bike. Awesome. I also noticed that I wasn't getting arm pump like I had in the past, probably since instead of plowing over everything I was actually able to move the bike a bit to get through things more smoothly.

Oh, and the two 8' drops at the bottom of the mountain: no problem. The Stumpy soaked them up just fine. Not once all day did I feel the suspension bottom but I know that I did use all the travel. Photos and a video clip or two coming soon.

Oh, and this was all after a day of XC riding in Oneonta, NY on the same bike. Epic winning weekend.

mtbr member
    Very nice!

Last year I went to the local bike park a couple times. The first time was on a 180mm coil suspension bike. The next two visits were on my 2011 SJ Evo. I had WAY more fun on the 150 bike vs. the 180 bike. Some of the rougher sections were easier on the 180mm bike, but the flowy jumpline trails were way better on the SJ.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Mr. Lynch,

What's that mod you did to your shifter to make it run the command post? I'd like to do it on my bike; I read that and was finding myself wishing for something similar when I was cruising around day.

mtbr member
    Scroll down to the 10th post.
    How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post

It is a super easy mod with SRAM shifters. I did it to a 2x XX shifter (my bike) and a 3x X7 shifter.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Thanks. Seems simple and effective. Stoked to try it out.